• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5 and 1/4th floppy jumpers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So, I bought a 5 and a quarter floppy drive off Ebay. It seems to power up and everything, but its jumper settings seem kind of screwed. I have tried multiple iterations of BIOS settings and putting it both before and after the 'twist' in the floppy cable (verified working floppy cable tested with my 3 and a half drive)

Its bizarre but it works perfectly when I set it as a 1.44mb 3 and 1/4th drive in the bios, and it appears as such in windows 98. Even the disks show they have 1.15mb free (they are 1.2 mb 5 1/4th floppies)

Clearly something is off with the jumpers.

Luckily I found a small manual of the exact model of floppy drive I bought. Need some help with configuration of the jumpers though.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/man...Flexible Disk Drives - Installation Guide.pdf

I have the MF504C. Does anyone know what the proper jumper settings would be for a typical setting wherein the 3.5 drive would be A: and the 5.25 would be B:? Can't really make heads or tails of that chart they've got for my drive on that PDF. Someone more inclined toward vintage computing halp plz? I'm trying to get into it myself but now im finding out why the whole master/slave IDE shenanigans were abandoned, now SATA it's like "plug in whatever you want all at once it'll work just fine!"... lol

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: picture of my actual drive ( )

I won't ask you why...:rofl:

If I remember...back in the day...you needed to set a master/slave jumper.

You could do a max of 2 drives for a cable.

You should see if you can get a USB connection for it. I have an old 3.5" USB drive.

Not trying to get it to work with a modern computer lol trying to get it to work with Windows 98. And there are no master/slave jumpers if you look at the PDF. Oh and for anyone who wonders, I checked - Yes, the motherboard supports two floppy drives off the one floppy IDE port, and yes it supports 5 and 1/4th drives in the bios (even the 360kb ones Q_Q along with the rare 2.88mb 3.5 floppy )

Got it working through mindlessly trying different jumper setttings (got it the 2nd time! hooray!)

Apparently someone had this drive in a PC AT or something so it was setup for that not my Windows 98 machine but now it works great lol.

I have a universal solution guarenteed to fix the issue. Ready for it?

Step 1: Open the side of the case.

Step 2: Smash all visible components with a hammer. Bonus points if it's a sledge hammer.

Step 3: throw it in the trash and buy something that isint 20 years old.

Step 4: pat yourself on the back for the hard community service work you just did.

Good job, it's fixed!

Trolling someone who needed help is a little mean spirited bro. Vintage electronics arent everyone's bag but jesus.

You worked through the solution, that's what really counts. I recall that some of the drives were marked above the pins with an 'S' or 'M' which helped a lot, but not all drives had the markings. Then there was the ribbon config: depending on where in the case you mounted the drive the cable might not allow for the obvious connector running the length of the chain so if you set the jumpers one way, the ribbon the wrong way, a big nothing burger, then you had to switch out the pins or ribbon connection. But trial and error prevailed.

Back