• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5970 overclocking freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staffis

Hi
Hope u guys can help me. The problem is simple, my ASUS 5970 freezes/shuts down at any overclocking attempts playing BF3, but only in this game. Why is that? I can't run anyform of overclock in the game, but its running smooth in many others. Is it the PSU? or anything else, anyone have a suggestion?
The temps are all fine playing BF3 in OC but then after maybe a minute it frezees, happens everytime and on every clock over stock. Im confused! :D

Also OC has been done following every instruction, using MSI AB.
The setup is:

Phenom II 975 BE stock 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte 890GPA - UD3
Asus 5970 stock
10GB 1600Mhz
650W gold PSU

Thanks

BF3 is an unstable game at the best of times, and shouldn't be used as a benchmark for stability.

Install Heaven or Furmark, and run that for a few consecutive hours. Make sure to use HWMonitor to keep an eye on the GPU temperatures. Those cards can have VRM overheating issues as well so you might want to use GPU-Z to keep an eye on those temperatures.

Well the thing is it is stable in both furmark and MSI Kombustor at clocks up to 900/1300 (with acceptable temps) but it just shuts down in BF3 and i cant figure why that is?

Try Heaven benchmark as well. If it's stable after 2 hours then it's the game that's at fault. Like I said, BF3 (like BFBC2) is an unstable game at the best of times. I had exactly the same problems as you on different builds.

i have a XFX model with razor water block running at 950/1340 no problems with bf 2/3 update catalist control then download the hemlock overclock patch and app install patch first then app this will give you full voltage control for memory and gpus
the only other thing is with your cpu bf3 may bottle neck my prossesor is a i7 930 4.8 ghz check the Phenoms forum

Back