• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$600 gaming build, AMD inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crono139

First time poster so go easy on me. :p

I'm mainly looking to play games such as Wolfenstein and the like. I have a MicroCenter near me so I was looking at their CPU/mobo bundles (here) to get an idea of what is out there. Here is what I was able to put together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m8tRgs

AMD FX-8320 w/ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 => $199.98 OR
AMD FX-8320 w/ Asus M5A97 R2.0 => $179.98

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler => $19.99
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 => $78.99
PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo => $149.99 (PCS+ is $10 more)
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze => $39.99
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD => $53.99
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower => $49.99
Total => $592.92 (Gigabyte mobo) or $572.92 (Asus mobo)

- I do plan to OC and, from what I've read, most seem to prefer the Asus mobo for this purpose. I don't see myself ever using the SLI/CrossFire capabilities of the Gigabyte mobo.
- Is this RAM overkill? It drops down to $72 on NewEgg quite often at least.
- The PowerColor R9 270X has good reviews on NewEgg but I've never heard of this brand. I just missed an Asus card for a similar price so I can wait on this piece.
- PCPartPicker has this setup listed at 415W but I may need to step up to 550 or 600.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Not sure why no one 3lse has replied.
I don't know as much as a lot of people here
But I'd personally get the gigabyte motherboard. It's probably better at overclocking and probably more reliable. Ram is probably not needed and I doubt you'll see too much better than slower ram but if it's not much more idk go for it.

I've never used any power color products. From what I read my impression of them isn't the best but idk I'm sure it would be fine. Since its new you know i5 had a warranty.

But that looks like it will be a really nice gaming computer! Should play games well and for years to come. It might not technically "max out" games depending on resolution but should have good graphics.

Get the Gigabyte setup, it has a more robust VRM section to drive that 8 core monster.
It will overclock better than the Asus.

The 212 Plus is alright best for this, I would look at LEAST at the 212 EVO.

You can save a few bucks by going G.SKILL 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 1.5V on the RAM, that should cover the 212 EVO.
You'll never notice the difference between 2133 and 1600 for a gaming machine.

PSU and GPU are good.
500W is more than enough.

Like FS said, the ram is probably overkill - just for basic gaming you don't need more than a decent 8GB set of 1600/1866mhz ram, you won't see any real life gains over that.

I'd go with the Gigabyte board as well, even if it's just because if something goes wrong with the Asus board, don't expect any help from their CS department.

As far as graphics cards, Powercolor should be "OK". One of the main downsides is a 2 year warranty, as opposed to a 3 year warranty which is more standard among the better known brands (lifetime warranty in the case of XFX).

(ATM beat me to it)

that m5a97 R2.0 is not the board, and I would have issues with a ud3 clockinr that 8 core with it hitting on all 8, plan on running it as a 6 core if you push it.

+1 on the 1600 ram.
the 500 watt psu will be plenty

that m5a97 R2.0 is not the board, and I would have issues with a ud3 clockinr that 8 core with it hitting on all 8, plan on running it as a 6 core if you push it.

+1 on the 1600 ram.
the 500 watt psu will be plenty

depends! UD3 rev3 or 4

then either we need to rethink the cooler or go and find a used 1090t that will run 4.0.

then either we need to rethink the cooler or go and find a used 1090t that will run 4.0.

So, what you're saying, is that 4.6 is going to be completely noticeably faster than 4.3-4.4?
No way, not worth doubling (or more) the cost of the cooler for that.

The 1090T is going to lag behind in gaming, it's old hat.

4.3-4.4 is clocking it up, ok, then get the 8350, it's a better processor, in general and he can run it on 6 cores to save the heat.

4.3-4.4 is clocking it up, ok, then get the 8350, it's a better processor, in general and he can run it on 6 cores to save the heat.

If you're going to just be running 6 cores, buy an FX-6300.
Why pay more then cut off part of the CPU?

OP, I would see if you can switch to a GA-970A-UD3P motherboard and grab an FX-6300 then switch the GPU to a GTX 760.
That 760 will push you WAY farther for gaming than a 270X.

I'm with you on the 760, I have two and love them.
a 6350 over a 6300, my 5 6300's sucked, my 8350 on six is much better, perhaps the 6350?

games only use four cores for the most part but I have read that games that make use of 6 cores are in the pipeline.

8 cores on 6 cores? the 8 cores are binned better.

I'm with you on the 760, I have two and love them.
a 6350 over a 6300, my 5 6300's sucked, my 8350 on six is much better, perhaps the 6350?

games only use four cores for the most part but I have read that games that make use of 6 cores are in the pipeline.

8 cores on 6 cores? the 8 cores are binned better.

My 6300 did 4.8 24/7 till I put it in the server :shrug:

Honestly though, the small difference in the CPU is a drop in the bucket compared to the gain from the 760 over the 270X.
The only way to get that big gain is to take a tiny hit to drop the cost.

I'm with you atminside. put the money in the card.
the 270 card is a little more than my 7850, the 760oc cards are way ahead.

Back