• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$600 gaming build, AMD inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh my god I can put that togather from my junk pile, with a better board for 250 or less.

strike that, 200+ shipping for the cpu and sabertooth+ shipping, taking a quick look on ebay

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

OP, I would see if you can switch to a GA-970A-UD3P motherboard and grab an FX-6300 then switch the GPU to a GTX 760.
That 760 will push you WAY farther for gaming than a 270X.

I put together a revised part list after reading through the comments: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkmjNG

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card
XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

- The NH-D14 cooler seems like the best bang for the buck choice
- The price of the GTX 760 is very close to 280X territory so I just added the cheapest one for the time being.
- There isn't much variation in memory prices so I'll continue to look at this as well.
- That XFX 550W power supply has dropped to $26 at TigerDirect for the past few months so I'll wait for the next one.

Ah, I didn't realize the 280X had gotten down that low!
That'll be faster than the 760 for you :)

Looks like a GREAT build for you! :thup:

I just put together a build with a 970A-UD3P yesterday for a buddy. Windows 8.1 installed all the drivers automatically, if you don't have an OS already grab 8.1 for sure.

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

I put together a revised part list after reading through the comments: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkmjNG

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card
XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

- The NH-D14 cooler seems like the best bang for the buck choice
- The price of the GTX 760 is very close to 280X territory so I just added the cheapest one for the time being.
- There isn't much variation in memory prices so I'll continue to look at this as well.
- That XFX 550W power supply has dropped to $26 at TigerDirect for the past few months so I'll wait for the next one.

That's a nice parts list. You should be very happy with that system. It'll play anything on high in 1080P with only a few games (Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, etc) giving less than spectacular framerates.

there is a remastered versions of metro coming, using a new build of their engine. get the same high quality graphics with a boost to FPS. i have kinda given up on the far cry series, o not to forget HomeWorld 1/2 are being remastered as well, with included original games. the only down side is that there is no remastered Cataclysm exp with that, they should have done it as well.

That motherboard doesn't support 2133 ram, take it down a notch or 2 (the ram). Save yourself a couple bucks in the process as well.

Back