• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600lbs Steel I-Beam Desk/Computer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLambeth87

Hello Everyone,
I have decided it's time to upgrade my computer and in the process I wanted to build a desk for it. I just had a new house built and moved in in Jun of 2017. The rest of the house has been setup and my office, which is the first room you see when you walk in the front door, was still not finished. My current system is setup on a plastic folding table. HA

I had always wanted to do something different and unique. Something I hadn't really seen before and wanted it to be almost an "art" piece for the house as the first thing that you see when you enter. I've seen a lot of computer's integrated into a desk builds before and all of them felt a little cheap to me (no offense to anyone with one. This is just my personal opinion). So I started brainstorming.

My idea would be to build the frame of the desk out of metal and use an exotic African wood (I have done work in Africa a couple times so this was a sentimental thing for me) as the top. Since this was going to be a unique build I didn't want to have it look like a normal desk either. I wanted a V shape but with the V floating and only having 2 legs. The wood would be set inside the V and the computer and cooling system would be built into the legs and feet of the desk. I started sketching it out and figuring out all the measurements/angles that would be needed to make this work and be the size that I wanted. You will see below what I came up with.

For the computer components, I wanted something just as crazy to go along with the crazy desk idea. I own a video production company so the speed for editing/rendering needed to be there anyway. I also game on occasion so I wanted it to be able to do that too. Below are the components:

-Intel i9-7980xe (delidded)
-MSI x299 Gaming M7 ACK
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 64gb DDR2666 RAM (Might get another set for 128gb total)
-2x EVGA 1080TI Kingpin Hydro's
-EVGA SuperNova 1600w P2 PSU
-2x Samsung 960 Evo NVME M.2 1TB
-2x 6TB HGST Deskstar HDD's in RAID 0 for working drives

The cooling system for the computer will be a dual loop (GPU's on one and CPU on another) custom hardline system using copper tubing which will be set inside the trough of the I beam. The computer system will be on the right side of the desk (when sitting at it) and the radiators will be on the left side. The tubing will run around the perimeter of the desk. The pumps and reservoirs will be at the middle and underneath so they will be hidden. (I MAY still keep the reservoirs on the top-side. I need to see how it all looks once I get to that point. It would make priming the pumps easier to do). The component list for the cooling systems are:

-2x EKWB 480mm CoolStream XE Radiators
-2x EKWB D5 Pumps (Black)
-2x EKWB MSI Gaming Pro Nickel Monoblock RGB
-2x EKWB 250mL x3 Reservoirs
-A bunch of EKWB fittings all in black along with 4 ball valves for the drains (2 per side)

So far here is what has been completed:
-Frame has been cut and welded together by me (I just learned how to weld. This is my first big project so the welds are not all perfect but I don't care. I still did it myself. HA)
-Wood has been bought and mostly glued together. I went with an African Zebra wood. It is extremely dense and heavy but looks awesome. Wasn't cheap either though. Just the top was almost $900 worth of wood. :eek:
-Rough cuts have been made on the wood to fit inside the V of the frame. I need to glue the two smaller wood sections together still then cut the entire thing to fit.

I hope to continue working on the desk part and have that pretty much completed this coming week before I leave for almost 2 weeks again for work. Once I get that done I will be able to start laying out the components. I am thinking about using more of the Zebra Wood as the mounts for the motherboard and the radiators but am still undecided at the moment.

Now to the pictures. Feel free to ask questions, give some suggestions, and yes, I know it's going to be heavy and yes it will fit through my doorway to get into the house (already measured and made sure to build it so it would fit).
Desk-1.jpg
Desk-2.jpg
Desk-3.jpg
Desk-4.jpg
Desk-5.jpg
Desk-6.jpg
Desk-7.jpg
Desk-8.jpg
Desk-9.jpg
Desk-10.jpg
Desk-11.jpg
Desk-12.jpg
Desk-13.jpg
Desk-14.jpg
Desk-15.jpg
Desk-16.jpg
Desk-17.jpg
Desk-18.jpg
Desk-19.jpg
Desk-20.jpg
Desk-21.jpg
Desk-22.jpg
Desk-23.jpg
Desk-24.jpg
Desk-25.jpg

Thats all for now. I will update this post as the build progresses. Thanks for looking!

Josh

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Reserved

Last edited:
Subbed, and I have to ask-when does that project go from the garage to it's final resting place? You already have quite the heavy and complicated project to move through doorways and such.

And from someone who has broken toes on many occasions, wear shoes around that monolith. Seriously. :D

edit: Mr. Scott beat me to it!

Is that Zebra wood? I helped build a house one time that had a table made of zebra wood that was about 12 get long. They utilized an i-beam down the center to support it and then had a single center post the whole thing mounted on. We ended up having to add an extra beam in the floor just to support the weight of that behemoth.

Haha I'll get a picture of the door.

Luckily it's going in the first room in the house do it's a straight shot through the door. A few furniture dolly's and some manpower and it shouldn't be an issue.

Josh

A lot of manpower and free beer

There, I fixed that for you. Beautiful project, BTW.I looked up your build thread for your rig. Now I understand the desk. You can't pair that build with just any old Office Max desk. LOL

edit: Are you planning a third leg for the overhang?

Last edited:
sweet idea, looks like and old winkelman wdf-1 formula ford in the one pictures background.

There, I fixed that for you. Beautiful project, BTW.I looked up your build thread for your rig. Now I understand the desk. You can't pair that build with just any old Office Max desk. LOL

edit: Are you planning a third leg for the overhang?

Thanks. That build thread is my old/current system. I will be building a brand new one for this desk/computer build.

And no. The overhang will stay floating like that. I can easily stand on it and it's perfectly fine. A couple widescreen monitors won't be an issue for it especially once the wood top is added. That will help stiffen the entire upper section.

Josh

- - - Updated - - -

Nice steel fab.....but what where you thinking?

Seriously, nice work. :thup:

What's the price per linear foot for that I-beam?

Haha. I wanted a computer that would be impossible for someone to steal out of my house... ;)

The I beams were Free-Fifty. A buddy, who ones the shop I did the welding in, has a good connection with a metal supply place here in Phoenix. These I beams were scrapped and they just gave them to him for free. He was keeping an eye out for them for me every time he was down there. They are 8" wide and 10ft long each. I got 3 of them which was almost perfect for how much I needed. I think I have about 5ft left.

Geeez that's a BIG and HEAVY FRIGGIN DESK! Not gonna ask how you plan on moving it into your office after it's done. My guess is you're going to tear down an outer wall and use a crane to get it in place. Then rebuild the wall around it, right? :eek:

Back