• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64bit OS is it worth it and Windows 7 what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do not talk about torrents and piracy it is against the rules.

public beta is out Jna 9th

DO NOT turn off your page file!! 2 reasons

1. You cant actually turn it off %100 i recall hearing (it is always on in some way)
2. some programs will NOT work with out a page file.

Windows will only page data to the page file if it needs to, and if it is, you need more ram, and some programs are just written to use the page file.

can't actually turn it off? huh? where did you hear that?
some programs will NOT work without a pagefile? such as?

can't actually turn it off? huh? where did you hear that?
some programs will NOT work without a pagefile? such as?

Some games I have start complaining (some refuse to install) when i have the page file disabled in Vista 64. (I have 8gb of ram)

In general it is not a good idea to turn off the page file as many applications make memory reservations. These are guarenteed blocks of memory that application then knows it can use if it needs to.

With a pagefile, these reserverations are marked against the page file and don't use real memory.

Without a pagefile these reservations are made against the real memory, locking them out of use.

Many apps make reservations, but a few apps go overboard and reserve huge amounts of memory just in case they need it. Many image manipulation and 3d applications do this.

Turning off the pagefile can result in performance improvements, but usually they are limited to when you are running a single specific applicaiton. As soon as you start multitasking then the benefits can evaporate very quickly.

as for not being able to turn it off %100, as said, i recall hearing it, but can not find any sources to back it up right now.

Personally, I say stay 32 bit till you have enough ram to need 64 bit. By then you have enough ram that the extra memory 64 bit stuff requires won't matter.

I only just started using vista on my pc this week, but im only 2gb of ram and vista hogs ram as it is, so 32 for me till I upgrade cpu/mobo/ram again (or grab another 2gb of ddr2_800 for 25 bucks and a phenom II when they get super super cheap)

With superfetch on Vista & WIN7 though the extra ram is actually DOING something for a change instead of just taking up wattage and waiting for you to load several programs at once. WIN7 in particular seems to be using superfetch very intuitively for me. With 8GBs of ram I have been randomly launching programs and quite often there is absolutely no HD activity at all and the program launches instantly.

64bit & lots of ram is truly here for keeps now IMO.

...as part of this experiment I intend to remove 2 then 3 of my installed 2 GB Dimms and see how WIN7 handles it.

general thinking is and most people do let windows manage ther page file as mr guv states.

OP most people around are running 4g ram so yes 64 is worth it and even with 2g it runs just a hair cleaner but not enough to really tell. since 64 bit is going more mainstream and theres enough driver support theres no reason not to at this point.

The way I will put it, is - WHY would they even MAKE a 32-Bit version of Win7? By the time it comes out, the chances of having a 32-bit processor for sale is going to be next to nil. Also, people upgrading to Win7 might find it difficult to run it altogether.

64bit is the only way up, so yes, 64bit wins. Its mainstream already as it has been made standard over an increasingly large number of laptops. If laptops are running it, then I'll be damned if I ever go back to 32-bit.

The 64-Bit environment in Vista/Win7 is actually very transparent. I would confidently go for the 64bit.

-D

The way I will put it, is - WHY would they even MAKE a 32-Bit version of Win7? By the time it comes out, the chances of having a 32-bit processor for sale is going to be next to nil. Also, people upgrading to Win7 might find it difficult to run it altogether.

64bit is the only way up, so yes, 64bit wins. Its mainstream already as it has been made standard over an increasingly large number of laptops. If laptops are running it, then I'll be damned if I ever go back to 32-bit.

The 64-Bit environment in Vista/Win7 is actually very transparent. I would confidently go for the 64bit.

-D

IIRC Intel's Atom is 32bit. My guess is they plan on supplying Windows 7 to netbooks.

Some games I have start complaining (some refuse to install) when i have the page file disabled in Vista 64. (I have 8gb of ram)

The pagefile check usually wasn't in an installer, you would get an error when you launch it after it's installed.

I do know one app that probably would error out. Project64 *probably* requires virtual memory.

Project64 (Nintendo 64 emulation) probably would display:

FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY

OK

So I have ready through some of the stickys about 64bit OS's. However I am looking at Vista 64 Ultimate. I would love to run Windows 7, but its way to hard to find drivers for even current products. So Vista Ult. will be the way I am looking.

Ok so I am looking for some advice on moving to a 64 bit OS. I got a new PC over the holidays an E8400 which I quickly overclocked to 3.84ghz. So far I love it. I am only running 2gb of ram, and from what I have read when I up it to 4gb I am going to need to move to a 64bit OS. I have not even looked into 64bit in a couple of years so I have no idea how the driver foundation has picked up.
I am running 32 bit version of XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 on a few machines and am really happy with Windows 7, personally I think it is the best OS Microsoft has released bar none.
Aside from the boost in ram allowed what are the pros and cons of running a 64bit OS. All of my hardware is new, as I moved from a S478 P4 2.8C Northwood to the new S775 E8400 on a Biostar motherboard. Moved from an AGP Video card to a PCI-E Video card, 2 single sticks of 1gb Crucial Ram, and all my HD’s are now Sata. If I make the jump I am going to go to Vista Ultimate 64.

Is it even worth the jump to a 64bit OS?

On a side note, who else is playing around with Windows 7? In my opinion, it takes the best of XP and the few good parts of Vista and throws the rest out. It’s faster than Vista, even in beta; it is less buggy than Vista. I think when MS releases it fully, if they don’t screw it up between now and then, it’s going to be the best OS they have ever released. For the record I am running Beta Build 7000.

Capt,

I just migrated to Vista 64 Ulitmate from XP Pro on this new build, the same as you, and I'm not one to take operating system changes lightly. This is a working computer and I can't be wondering about how to do things for too long (I curse and swear a lot at them :)).

Other than getting used to a few changes and quirks with Vista, and not the 64 bit part of it, the transition has been nearly transparent with a little help from those using it for a while. Every program I have been using, the free ones and my registered ones in 32 bit, are behaving perfectly. Personally, if 64 bit is available, I would install it.

Back