• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k Overclock advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuggleLover

Registered
Good Day,

Last time I overclocked a CPU was 12 years ago so I'm not really sure whats going on with this overclock. I got a Msi motherboard and a swiftech 220x2. I have the CPU overclocked to [email protected]. It is stable but it will throttle sometimes to 4.5GHZ. When I did this before 12 years ago it would just freeze if you pushed it to high without the enough vcore. Is the problem in the settings or not enough vcore to keep it at 4.7GHZ full time? Temps are in the 66C range. I tried it with hypertreading/steping disabled and got the same thing. Does the same thing when I run it at 4.9GHZ but it wont stay at 4.9 very long at all before going to 4.6GHZ at full load.

Still need to run some benchmarks to see what gives me a better score 4.9 vs 4.7. Was just doing 10 mins of prime 95 to see if it was semi stable before I ran the benchmarks. Any advice?

Last edited:
It shouldn't be throttling at 66c, know mine doesn't It almost sounds like Turboboost is still enabled, but I thought it topped out at 4ghz for these chips.

Just went to 1.425vcore and now I'm getting 4.9GHZ with it throttling to 4.6GHZ. 5GHZ it will throttle to 4.7GHZ sometimes. 5.1GHZ it froze during prime 95. going to run firestrike at 5ghz now and see if I can lower vcore and not freeze.

5GHz 1.425v physics score 15894
4.9GHz 1.425v physics score 15580
4.7GHz 1.4v physics score 15009

4.9GHZ 1.375 Physics score 15594
5GHZ 1.375 Failed <--- was doing weird things in prime 95 to only 1 core would go to 100% load others would stay at 3-9%

K found it did not have all my CPU cores set to manual. now i need to retest

Last edited:
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro between 66-75C. Found out what it was. I was useing prime95 to check for stability and it would ramp down in prime 95. when I run Cinebench it will stay at 4.9GHZ or 5GHZ

Last edited:
I am able to get 5GHZ stable but it takes a large jump in vcore vs 4.9GHZ. [email protected] is stable at 1.375v but to get stable at 5GHZ it takes 1.45v. So I'm just going to run it at 4.9GHZ for now. This swiftech cooler in the best CPU cooler I have ever owned. very quiet even under load. Now time to Overclock my MSI 1070 Armor. Last GPU I OCed was ati 9700 pro. Got great FPS in Warcraft 3.

Last edited:
I am able to get 5GHZ stable but it takes a large jump in vcore vs 4.9GHZ. [email protected] is stable at 1.375v but to get stable at 5GHZ it takes 1.45v. So I'm just going to run it at 4.9GHZ for now. This swiftech cooler in the best CPU cooler I have ever owned. very quiet even under load. Now time to Overclock my MSI 1070 Armor. Last GPU I OCed was ati 9700 pro. Got great FPS in Warcraft 3.
You have a stellar chip... look and compare...: https://siliconlottery.com/products/6700k48g

prime 95 version 98.9.1.0. I just run Cinebench 1st then prime 95 for 20 minutes. If it passes that I run 3dmark. I played GTAV for like 3 hours at 4.9GHZ today did not have any problems. As long as my games run that is stable enough for me. ;-)

Last edited:
prime 95 version 98.9.1.0. I just run Cinebench 1st then prime 95 for 20 minutes. If it passes that I run 3dmark. I played GTAV for like 3 hours at 4.9GHZ today did not have any problems. As long as my games run that is stable enough for me. ;-)
INteresting order 3DMark at the end.. If Cine passes and P95 passes, then the physics test in 3dMark will assuredly pass.

What test in Prime 95? Blend, Small FFT?

I'm using blend on prime 95. I think it was the default setting when I installed it. I just remember using prime 95 12 years ago so just installed it from their site.

Unrelated and random, but interesting tidbit there wingman! :p

You remind me of Ralph Wiggum. :)

I had to google who Ralph Wiggum was. For some reason I thought he was a poet who lived in the 1800's. I was pretty close ;-). Just finished OCing my MSI armor 1070 got +80 core 180 memory. I was hoping for more.

Last edited:
Unrelated and random, but interesting tidbit there wingman! :p

You remind me of Ralph Wiggum. :)

I have been using Prime95 for two weeks now trying different settings, I'm really getting to know it like the back of my hand.:D LOL

Back