• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 BIOS flash successes and disasters!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Have you flashed your 6800 series BIOS?

• Yes i have flashed my 6800NU/GT/U/UE/LE without any problems.

Votes: 52 47.3%
  • I have thought about it but i dont wanna risk having a paper weight.

Votes: 50 45.5%
  • I have flashed but got artifacts or other corruption and flashed back.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I flashed and my card no longer works.

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
My BFG 6800GT is stuck at 410/1.1 w/ stock bios, is it worth it to flash my bios? I have an OCZ powerstream 520.

I have a BFG 6800 GT OC. I adjusted the voltage to 1.4v, and set the default speed to 400 core/1100 mem. I kept the GT bios though. I was getting rainbow screen during 3d apps like some others with the BFG. I went online and downloaded a regular GT bios and attempted to flash the card back to 1.3v. The flash failed, and when I got back into windows the card was acting normal with 1.4v. No more rainbow screen. Before the flash I was getting 420/1180, now Im getting 440/1200. Temps are 53c idle, 70c load.

regular as in Nvidia brand?
I used the bfg bios from mkvtech when I had my rainbow freezes
my guess is its probly the bfg bios like you said that or its my PSU?

It was an Nvidia 6800 GT bios. I went ahead and did flash it back to the BFG OC bios. The gain isn't worth the risk imo. I did increase the stock settings to 400/1100 @ 1.3v.

Used the 1.4v w/ stock speeds BFG GT bios edit from the HardOCP forum with no problems.. did it in windows w/ the CLI windows version. Now I can break my 410 barrier to get 440 (unstable), 425 stable. Running stably now at Ultra speeds.

huh, i'm thinking i should try this, i'm a little nervous about doing it though, i've never flashed a video card bios. My eVGA 6800gt will only go to about 370/1040 before get artifacts and what not in 3dMark and in my games. I have a NV Silencer 5 on there now and was able to go a little higher but not much more. Do you guys think i would see a good upgrade if i did the flash....if so, does anyone want to give a noob at this a step by step guide, i put no responsibility on you, if something goes wrong i fully blame myself. Mine cards temps under full load never go above 63, so temps are not a problem, must be a voltage thing, i also have a OCZ 520 psu.

Ok, I have an interesting case for you all. I have a BFG 6800GT OC. It has absolutely no overclockability. I am currently using coolbits, it will only detect a stable core up to 378, and my mem up to 1.06. I have an Arctic cooling rev 5 with as 5 on the card for cooling. Temps never go above 60c. Sometimes when I am playing a graphics intensive game my computer will crash and I will get an error that a vga device failed or something along the lines of that. This only happens when the card is in this oced mode. That error btw is an approximation of what I remember. I havnt done that in awhile. What are some suggestions? Do you think a bios change would help me out? IM sure this card can do more than what coolbits is telling me. Plus I heard that a coolbits or secondary clock vs. something in the bios is harder on the card. Anyways, I would like to get more performance out of this card.

Thanks,
WheaT

Yeah, read too quickly and missed the temps...my bad..=(

Last edited:
A 63c temp isnt high at all, usually 6800's on stock get in the 70's. It can also be if you dont have a Window fan over the video card. When my fan which is a 120mm was blowing air outa the case which is where it was when i got my case my vid card temp reached the mid 70's. When i turned it around when i have the fan on full blast my temps overclocked never go above 64c.

Why Flash?

I haven't flashed my 6800GT yet becuase I am running with coolbits at 425/1150 with no problems at all. I got an NV Silencer 5 and have no problems with heat. I'm pretty sure I could oc more but haven't had time to play with it. Does a bios flash give some other capablility not supplied by coolbits.

wow.. should put a poll line "Ive flashed to no gains, so back to stock bios"

Ive tried 1.4v mod to stock bios.. games would get nasty screen and lock up... ive tried ultra flashes from various manufactures and same thing... so back to stock bios, I oc at 419/1140 right now tho.. I probably shouldnt get greedy, thats when things tend to break.

Tho i wnat to volt mod the 12v lines on my psu..

hypertek said:
wow.. should put a poll line "Ive flashed to no gains, so back to stock bios"

Ive tried 1.4v mod to stock bios.. games would get nasty screen and lock up... ive tried ultra flashes from various manufactures and same thing... so back to stock bios, I oc at 419/1140 right now tho.. I probably shouldnt get greedy, thats when things tend to break.

Tho i wnat to volt mod the 12v lines on my psu..

Never thought of that, I'll ask Jot if he can add something like, Flashing only gave me Artifacts and problems so i reflashed to stock.

geid3811 said:
I haven't flashed my 6800GT yet becuase I am running with coolbits at 425/1150 with no problems at all. I got an NV Silencer 5 and have no problems with heat. I'm pretty sure I could oc more but haven't had time to play with it. Does a bios flash give some other capablility not supplied by coolbits.

The reason why people flash is because they either want a higher Vcore voltage so allow a higher overclock, so they mod thier current bios changing the voltage which coolbits cant do. Or say if they have a 24/7 oc and are tired of coolbits not saving the OC'S on reboot or the ocs going back after every new driver you can flash youre card to run @ the overclocks you want for 24/7 use.

Or you can flash youre GT or other card to be reported and to run like the higher model. For me i flashed my card to a 6800Ultra cuss 1.) I liked it being reported as Ultra. 2.) I like the 24/7 clocks of 400/1100 3.) i like the 1.4vcore which helps me oc higher.

here is a diagram of hardwired resistors on the 6800GT
6800GTsmall.jpg

Here is how it appears on a 6800 Ultra
q6800usmall.jpg

As taking from http://www.newbietech.net/eng/qtoq/nvidia/6800/6800mod2.php

Think modding the resistors then flashing could help?

I read about this in some review a guy did for hardmodding the 6800's to the higher models and voltmodding them, he said its imposible to do this on the 6800GT but not the 6800NU. For what reason i forgot. So the only way i know how to do this is to flash the card with an Ultra bios so it can be reported as ultra run @ ultra speeds and have the higher vcore.

Or simply mod youre own bios to change the clocks for 24/7 use and the voltage if you wish.

This might work tho i mean if it worked for him thats awsome, i might try this. I dont see why anyone needs to mod to a Quadro, it doesnt yeild any gamming increase from what i see on his benchmarks

Last edited:
ok while on the topic of flashing i have a queston.. i have a 6200 (ie 4pipelines) with the NV43 A4 core (ie has 8pipelines, 4disabled) and i cant unlock them with rivatuner.. it comes up with "N/A" for everything.. so I figured, since its the same core as the 66gt, why not flash it to 66gt to unlock the pipes? i think this would work, but i was reading something about if I flash to the 66gt bios and it unlocks the extra pipes, but the pipes turn out to be bad and i get artifacts/something else happens, even flashing back to 6200 and locking the 4bad pipes wouldnt solve the problem.. anyone with any knowledge on the subject care to help? im kinda desperate to unlock the pipes, but i dont exactly want a paperweight..

cheers,
Careface*

Back