• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$700.00 desktop chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's very interseting. Still the Vischera core too!! Still I think they'd have a hard time finding these " cream of the crop" chips 5.0 " guarenteed" is pretty lofty for air .There has to be something elese to it.

It is all about the money. I have said to a few even in this forum that AMD with nothing new purely desktop-wise to release this year, would have to release something. There you are if they can bin them close enough or are laying out some by hand for more speed.

I certainly am not going to hold my breath nor start saving.
RGone...

I have a bad feeling that a lot of those will still be unstable/way to hot on air and gain a really bad reputation.

</prophecy>

With current gen AMD chip, if this is real, this is going to be a 200-225w chip ... No way AMD can make a FX-8xxx at 5ghz with decent TDP.

On next gen maybe .... futur will tel us !

What board is going to be able to run it? I doubt we'll see it in it's current configuration.

I whouldn't buy it for 800,maybe for 400-500 yes . Real shame that supposedly it's gonna be a very limited edition CPU. MB? a CHV could handle in theory about 2000W from the mosfets point of view. other components will fail way before you even get close to 2000W but still.

If it has 8 cores I would buy it in a heartbeat, not that I have too much money to spend but I would want it. I dont think that they can do 8 core 5 GHz chip on air though.

Joni, I was reading your post when it just slapped me in the face. No way AMD could release such a cpu. They could not release it without putting a working motherboard in the box with the cpu. Crap these cheap motherboards will not handle 4.4Ghz and just because they make it work at 5.0Ghz on air does not mean it won't still draw a dump truck full of power. And it is not a guess but a certainty that a cheap board much less than the very top of the line will work.
RGone...

Ya but a thought just occurred to me. A pick of the litter that can handle 70to 80 degrees. We keep saying these seem to be tougher chips.

Ya but a thought just occurred to me. A pick of the litter that can handle 70to 80 degrees. We keep saying these seem to be tougher chips.

I wonder also if they made a breakthrough with R-Mesh technology and have gotten these things to work significantly better? I'm very curious. If intel can sell 1k CPUs, AMD can get away with selling some for 700, I think.

I won't buy one, but hey.

I wonder also if they made a breakthrough with R-Mesh technology and have gotten these things to work significantly better? I'm very curious. If intel can sell 1k CPUs, AMD can get away with selling some for 700, I think.

I won't buy one, but hey.

You know that R-Mesh is disabled in the FX's? It was not workable at the Mhz of the Vishera cpus. After all the R-Mesh hype before release of Vishera, then it is disabled in the FX cpus.
RGone...

YA THINK THEY MAY HAVE FOUND THE LOST SHARD??????????????

I'd really like AMD to launch a CPU that can compete with Intel's.

5GHz guaranteed? Remember all the hype about BD? They were supposed to OC like hell.

They should focus on IPC and start again with manual design.

I doubt a"Centurion", if real, can beat a 3930k@4GHz, unfortunately.

"manu2b" I heard that this >> They should focus on IPC and start again with manual design. << that is the only thing I have heard said by one site about 9 mos ago, that made any sense at all. That is what Steamroller was to be about and why they put it off so far into the future. Well maybe it is because it made more sense to concentrate on their APUs.

Like I said I only heard that blurb about going away from 2 cores and only 1 FPU, at only one site. Never such a statement since then. If you remember, about all we heard was pure hype and little truth before BD and with PD, R-Mesh disabled and very few mention that even today. So you can rest fully assurred we will not get the truth, only what we are 'supposed' to know.
RGone...

Back