• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

754 vs. 462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8vega350

yep im kinda back sorry i havent posted in a long time but i kinda got out of overclocking once seti swapped over but now i have other reasons for overclocking. anyways on to the topic.

i was wondering how much faster if at all a 754 would be over a 462 at encoding and lets say if they were both running at 2200mhz 11x200. just to keep the speeds equal.

if there is a great differance expect a bunch of posts out of me in the next 2 weeks cause im going to build one :)

for sure there is :
1) s754 has integreted memory controler s 462 dont have..(a lot lower latency,higher brandwidh etc....
2)clock for clock the s754 will beat the s462
3)64 bit capability (no real use @ the moment but it is better to have it )
- are llooking for sempron or A64
1)if sempron the best deal availble today 2200-2500 stock volt is dowable(had alot of them (5) 3 of them do 2300 1 @2400 1@2500 mac stable stock volt
2)if A64 for a bit more of ($) u can go with 939 socket to get dual channel

probley a64 im looking at the core with 512kb l2 cache. unless i can find a 1mb cache at a good deal or does cache really play that big of a role still how much improvment in encodeing times would i be looking at clock for clock. most things i do take around 2~2.5 hours on socket A

LOL... haha... yeah, look for the cpus that are listed as socket 939 my friend. Please read next time before posting hastily. :D ...sorry I didn't run a deeper sort for the rest of you. But I'm sure most everyone will be able to distinguish one from the other. :D

After all... some of the cpus have "(940)" next to them, while others have "(939)" next to them... please differentiate for yourselves. :D

to give you an idea I had a 2400+ on a nf7-s2 with 512 megs of ram in dual channel and encoding a 1 hour movie with stock settings in tmpg with 1 pass at a normal precision rating it took close to 1 hour and 30 minutes to encode. With my socket 754 sempron 3100+ at stock and 754 megs of ram It will take the length of the movie to do a single pass high precision encoding. So for example with my current socket 753 3100+ sempron to encode a movie that is 99 minutes long with the settings maxed in tmpg with the preview option on for one pass it takes 99 minutes to do. With the preview off it take closer to 70 minutes. This is all from converted vobs from a dvd.

So you will see a rather nice performance difference.

mepis said:
to give you an idea I had a 2400+ on a nf7-s2 with 512 megs of ram in dual channel and encoding a 1 hour movie with stock settings in tmpg with 1 pass at a normal precision rating it took close to 1 hour and 30 minutes to encode. With my socket 754 sempron 3100+ at stock and 754 megs of ram It will take the length of the movie to do a single pass high precision encoding. So for example with my current socket 753 3100+ sempron to encode a movie that is 99 minutes long with the settings maxed in tmpg with the preview option on for one pass it takes 99 minutes to do. With the preview off it take closer to 70 minutes. This is all from converted vobs from a dvd.

So you will see a rather nice performance difference.

thats impressive so going to a 754 you wound up taking 29 min. off you encode times. or im i misunderstanding something

It looks like he was going from socket A to 754..

Is encoding the primary concern, if so you might be posting in the wrong area :D

Yes I did drop that much time from my encoding times. All thoughtime will very epending on your system and how it is set up. I must note that in linux under gento though my encoding times much more hen that, granted tmpg is one of the slower encoders out there albiet very good.

As greenmaji said if encoding is your biggest and only concern you might be in the wrong section. Pentium 4's usually mop AMD in this area because encoding is one of the few things that depnd heavily on clock cycles. The onboard memory controller helps a lot but a 3.6 or 4 ghz pentium 4 should be able to make my times rahter pitifull.

Back