• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7850 vs. 6870 vs. GTX 650 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IEski

Registered
So, i got GTX 650 Ti for christmas and performs really good, but im constantly getting some "driver crash", and i got it about 5 times in DotA2. So it is really really annoying. I decided to return this graphics, and question is, should i get new GTX 650 Ti, or something from red team ? I can have 7850 and 6870 for same (170 euros) price, GTX 650 Ti is 140 here, so ill spent +30 euros for sure. If you recommend me 7850, should i get Sapphire Dual-X, or Asus DirectCU. Im talking about 1GB ones, as i dont have so much money to buy 2GB 7850.
my PC :
CPU - i5 3350P (fan - Artctic cooler 7 rev. 2.0)
PSU - not branded 500W (i know i need normal PSU, but lacks of money and need that GPU)
RAM - Kingston 1333@ 1600
HDD - Hitachi 750 GB 7200rpm (next thing ill buy will be SSD for boot and games, then it will come to PSU upgrade)
MoBo - Asus P8B75-M LX
Thanks for help. :)

7850 would be my choice... though the 1GB is disconcerting at 1920x1080 with modern titles. May want to save up more cash...

7850 would be my choice... though the 1GB is disconcerting at 1920x1080 with modern titles. May want to save up more cash...

This. To elaborate, the 7850 will frequently yield about 20% more FPS than the 650Ti and the 6870 is behind the 650Ti. 1Gb is starting to be a bit light for modern 1920x1080 gaming(titles such as BF3 or Natural Selection 2) and it's not going to get better as time goes on.

Well, i dont have so much money right now, i just installed my old 9800 GTX+ , and if ill be able to play max details DotA2, i can wait for about six months, get some money, and buy better graphics, thinking about AMD 8000 Series and buy higher end graphics card maybe. I cant help myself, but i still like more nVidia, but amd just outperforms in terms price/performance. And i'm not one of the rich ones that will buy 4 GTX 680 in SLI, just because i can...(i can't i really do..) :-D also im not an hardcore gamer, i play games with ultimate graphics just rarely.. :)

By the way, my PSU was unable to run fully clocked 9800 GTX+, but it never crashed drivers, it just shut down, or started tu use fan on full load, and my monitor went down. Will i be able to run 7850 on this PSU, or you think it will have same problem ?..

7850 right around the same power as the 9800GTX+.... 150 vs 141, give or take a bit. If your PSU is cutting out, you desperately need another one. 500W, with a quality, working PSU would be plenty for that system... Id look at a PSU first before it craps out and potentially takes out parts of your PC.

I have connected old graphic card, as i have new CPU and others, ill run furmark for about 30 minutes, or 1 hour, and i will see if it will drop somehow. If it will take one hour of furmark with 9800 gtx+, it can take gaming with 7850 i guess.. There is version of 7850 with one 6pin and versions with two 6pin. Well i read on techpowerup that 7850 in full load 101W , on site with one 6pin version i see "maximum load 3D 130W". I'll see what will do with furmark my 9800GTX+ (stock clocks) then ill decide, what i will take. :)

40 minutes, max 82 degrees, average 78 degrees. No turn off, constant 17 FPS when maxed out. Pretty loud :p. I think this PSU will be able to handle 7850 without problem even though it is generic. . I found on some sites, with photos, and im pretty sure it is some "Fonte 500W Coletek LS 8500-BTX" Cant find anything in english, everything is on brasil sites. Hopefully ill get some money tu upgrade PSU and buy one small SSD. when i get about 50 euros on hand, i will buy corsair cx600, for further upgrades. (not planning big upgrade so it will be enough).

Last edited:
Whether it can handle or not is besides the point, it could be putting out high levels of ripple (which you can't measure without an oscilloscope) that could damage or degrade your parts in the long run.

It looks like i should buy PSU before SSD... My last question (as i am not electro-mechanic engineer) if anti-surge technology in my mother board can protect it .. ? Hopefully it will not be for long time, till i get extra money.

Well i just found someone who is buying my old 9800GTX+, so ill look for some PSU and GPU, ill buy 2GB 7850, and if i find used CX600 or some similiar, do you think i should buy it even if it is used, or should i wait and buy new one from store. ?

Last edited:
What do you think about CoolerMaster RS600-ACABM2-WB, it have really good price for me, but i need to know if it will perform good...

Well i checked used cards, and there is just overpriced GTX 560 Ti's and one 2Gb 7850 priced at 169, which i found for 173 new.

I will order 7850 2GB as soon as i get money back from GTX 650 Ti, and then ill get PSU asap... :) Thanks everyone for opinions and help :)

Back