• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790-GD70 MSI Mobo... BIOS Settings help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tubaguy50035

Registered
There are some things in this BIOS I've never seen before. I'm new to the whole, do what you want with your computer thing, as I'm coming from using a long line of Dells (done with those now!). So I'd really like your help figuring out what all the settings should be. I don't like just using the AUTO settings everywhere, and I'd really like to know what everything is set at. My first goal is to make sure everything is setup correctly, and then continue to OC from there. Here's a list of what I have:
MSI 790-GD70
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz 125W
2 x GeIL Black Dragon 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660)
2 x Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCIE 2.0 x16

I understand the basic settings like drives, boot sequence and such. I've already got my raid of 4 1.5TB drives setup, just not sure about these settings.
1004100248a.jpg

1004100248b.jpg

1004100248c.jpg

1004100249a.jpg

I'd really appreciate your help with this. Thanks in advance.

cpuh.jpg

I've read through the guide and I guess still have some questions. I've got my processor up to 3.6 GHz and I'm comfortable with that. I've been able to run prime 95 with no problems. My questions are still about ram.
This is the ram I have: GeIL. It is now out of stock and deactivated by Newegg, so maybe it's not good? Idk. Are my settings reflecting what this ram should perform at? Btw, my multiplier for the processor is at 17 and FSB is at 212.

Need more info about the ram. CPU-z "SPD" tab would be helpful and please put system info in your "Sig". Please read this:

Welcome to Overclockers Forum!

We enjoy helping others with their questions and with problem solving their issues.

We would also ask, however, that you take some preliminary steps that will make this a lot easier for all of us:

1. Please put your system information in your “sig” so that it displays with every post you make below the post dialog. This will give contributors a quick and easy means of referencing information about your system components. Please include information about:
a. Your CPU make, model and speed
b. Your motherboard make and model
c. Your CPU heatsink/fan (HSF) make and model (OEM stock? Aftermarket?)
d. RAM (memory) make, model and speed
e. Case make and model, width of case (side to side on a tower case), placement and number of cooling fans
f. Power Supply (PSU) make, model and watt rating.
g. Operating system installed
h. Ambient (room) temperature of the computing environment
i. Any other relevant info you think we might need

How do I put this stuff in my “sig” you are probably asking about now? It is simple:

Locate the “quick links” button at the top of the OCForum desktop user interface. It is right below the “Contact” button in the blue tool bar. Click on the drop arrow and choose “Edit Signature” about half way down. Enter the system info and save.

Download and install the following freeware programs that will be used to test settings, temps and stability as we problem solve together:
1. CPU-z (reports information about your hardware and its settings). The program interface displays info under several categorical tabs. For our purposes there are three tabs that are important: “CPU”, “Memory” and “SPD”. We will probably ask you to capture images of the info displayed by these tabs. How to do that is described below.
2. HWMonitor (reports info about your temperatures and voltages)
3. Prime95 (stresses the CPU and all its cores at near 100% capacity). Needed to test for maximum CPU/core temps and to test for stability as you test different settings. It is handy to know that after running Prime95 for 10 min. your will be within about 2c of what your max temps would be when running the stress test for a much longer time. This “10 min.” test saves time in preliminary evaluation of various system setting changes you may make as you experiment. The first time you run Prime it will ask you if you want to “Fold” or “just stress test”. Choose stress testing and the “Blend” option. Monitor your temps with HWMonitor as you run Prime95. It is recommended with newer AMD processors to not allow the core temps to exceed mid 50s C. Intel processors are safe at higher temps than that, 70c or so.
4. A “screen capture” program that will enable you to capture images of the programs above so we can “see what you see”. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have an excellent screen capture tool that comes bundled with the OS called “Snipping Tool” that is located in “Accessories”. It’s a good idea to put it in the quick launch area of your task bar for ready access. If you are using Windows XP you can download freeware screen capture programs for this purpose. The one I use for XP is “MWSnap”.

Please run these programs upon request, capture images of them to your desktop and upload the captured images with your posts. To upload the images with your post:

1. Go to the “Message Window” and choose “Advanced”
2. Go to “Manage Attachments” located below the message window under “Additional Options”. A window pops up to enable you to browse for the image or images.
3. Select “Choose File” button to browse for and select the image file or files to upload.
4. Click “Upload”. You can upload up to three at a time.
5. Close the “Manage Attachments” window.
6. In the message window, type in any remarks you wish to include with the images.
7. Click on “Submit Reply” to post the images and your comments
8. If the images fail to upload it will be because you exceeded the file size limit. You will need to break the upload into more than one post or reduce the size of the images. There are freeware “file downsizer” programs available. The one I use is called “PIXresizer”. Please make the images large enough to easily read the text they contain but not so large they eat up a lot of screen viewing area. This may take some experimenting on your part.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Here is that tab with my updated signature

Attachments

• Ram.jpg
    Ram.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 759
Your settings on the ram look fine to me. My question has to do with your HT LInk speed at 2120 mhz. That is higher than stock (2000 mhz). It is generally recommended to stay at stock or slightly lower for that parameter for stability sake. You might consider setting it to 4x instead of 5x in bios. Have you run a long (at least 1 hr.) Prime95 blend test?

No I have not. Should I adjust that lower the higher I go? Also, should I adjust voltages? At what point should I adjust voltages?

I'm sorry, I note that you have the Thuban and they generally benefit from higher HT Link speeds people are saying so ignore my previous advice in that regard. I don't think voltages for HT need any adjustment. You should run a long stress test, however.

Yes, at least when you reach what is known to be the upper end of the chip's overclocking range.

So I've been running it all day at the aforementioned settings, just blue screened on me. I couldn't read what it said though. Also, it was only on one monitor, not all three. The computer rebooted very quickly, so I had very little time to react. What would cause bsod? I believe the guide mentions ram. Is there anything else?

:welcome: to OCF!

BSOD can come from many sources - CPU speed/vCore (CPU voltage) mismatch, cpuNB speed/voltage mismatch, RAM speed/timings/voltage mismatch - take your pick. Just looking at the settings I can see I'd guess the vCore is too low but that's just a guess. The best thing to do is back-up to stock and go through the steps outlined in the Phenom II Guide. Increase your speed. stress test, adjust voltage as neccessary. Somewhere you over-shot a speed without correcting the voltage ...

What's a normal voltage jump? I went from 1.32 to 1.35 but I also went down in clock speed. I turned my multiplier back down to 16 but left FSB as 212. Just ran a prime 95 and within five mins. I got a math error. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Also, is there a way to keep the processor from turning down the multiplier to 4?

So I've been running it all day at the aforementioned settings, just blue screened on me. I couldn't read what it said though. Also, it was only on one monitor, not all three. The computer rebooted very quickly, so I had very little time to react. What would cause bsod? I believe the guide mentions ram. Is there anything else?

Running it all day? You mean stress testing it all day or just normal computing?

What's a normal voltage jump? I went from 1.32 to 1.35 but I also went down in clock speed. I turned my multiplier back down to 16 but left FSB as 212. Just ran a prime 95 and within five mins. I got a math error. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Also, is there a way to keep the processor from turning down the multiplier to 4?
Make sure CoolNQuiet, C1E, and Turbo Mode are all disabled in BIOS. You'll also have to check your OS and make sure you're in performance mode instead of power savings ...

Just had it blue screen again on me after less than two hours of normal usage, movie playing, browsing internet. The bsod screen said page error in non-paged area. Thoughts? I'll make sure those are all turned off.

All of those are turned off, and I'm in high performance mode. Is SVM okay to be on?

I'd start over with everything set manually to their stock settings and work up from there.

Edit
I don't think it hurts to have SVM turned on but unless you're running VM software it won't help anything, either ...

Back