• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790-GD70 MSI Mobo... BIOS Settings help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm almost at stock. All I've really done is up the FSB to 212. I've changed the voltage back.

If you're trouble-shooting a problem you'd be better off with the 17X multiplier than a 212 clock - but the best thing if you're having problems would be no OC at all just to make sure it's not a hardware issue ...

At stock settings it should run all night without a problem but 2-3 hrs. should be sufficient for the immediate purpose.

Also, you should test the ram at stock settings with Memtest86+ overnight.

Memtest ran overnight, only did 8 passes with 8GB of ram (normal?). No errors were found.

How do I tell prime95 to run till I say stop?

Upper left hand corner of the user interface. On the toolbar you will see "Test". Click on it and it will drop a menu. Choose "Stop". If you are done with it for the time being then click "Exit" after "Stop" so it will exit instead of minimizing the program.

I was able to run prime95 all night. Never got above 50 degrees c. So... let's see how high it goes! I'm going to be ordering a new heat sink/fan to replace the stock one.

I just uped the multiplier to 17 and I'm getting some funky stuff. So this is now running at 3.4, but the HT Link speed is freaking out. Under load, it's dropping WAY down. I don't remember the number I saw, but it took the processor down to 2.3GHz...? This is in CPU-Z so maybe it's a software glitch? Anyone else seeing this?

Okay, so it just did it again and I was able to see the number. The bus speed dropped to 153 and the HT Link dropped to 1533 instead of 2000MHz. If I up the multiplier to 17.5, the bus speed drops to 197 MHz and HT Link to 1970MHz.

Yeah, what you're seeing is thermal overload down clocking technology activating.

Yes. Its built in to those CPUs and some motherboards have it too. It's hardwired in the CPU but may be an adjustable setting in bios with the motherboards. With those Thuban CPUs it seems to be kicking in when core temps reach about 55c. We're getting a lot of reports of this lately. What are you monitoring your temps with and are you looking at CPU temps or core temps?

Last edited:
Well, probably not the right thing. I've been using MSI's "green power", but I don't touch any of the settings. I just read the temp out of there. I like Speccy, but for some reason it can't read the temp off of my processor, graphics, or hard drives...? I only have ever seen 50 degrees c.

Edit ** Speccy can read the CPU temp. I will definitely be using that from now on!

Okay. Something is wrong. I don't know if it's the motherboard, ram, or what. I just bought starcraft 2, and it runs at 18 fps at ultra, not even full res. I was at 14(50?) by 1050 and it was hellah slow. Others have said that my HD5770 can handle this game. I'm very confused. The processor is running fine (seemingly). The pci bus is set at 100MHz. Is that wrong?

EDIT** WOW. Catalyst AI is screwed up. I disabled it and now sc2 is running flawlessly. Sorry to clutter the thread. I was just really worried. I bet my vantage score is a little better now!!!

Last edited:
Okay. So I've been able to mess with overclocking some more today and I think I've hit a wall somewhere with my current settings, so if you could take a look, I'd appreciate it. I'm running prime 95 and all of the workers stopped due to errors.
I am at:
3.8GHz 19x Multiplier
11x NB Multiplier
11x HT Multiplier
1.3250 CPU VID
1.15 NB VID
All Voltage is on auto
HT ref. Clock (MHz) 200
PCIe (MHz) 100

Suggestions?

Back