• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT, but what brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

Im looking for a 7900GT but I don't know which brand I should get. I plan on overclocking it. There's so many brand out there like eVGA, XFX, Forsa. I don't know which to get. Is there any differences in the brand? I really do not want an overclocked version of the 7900GT since Im going to overclock it myself and there's no reason to be paying higher prices. Im thinking that the brands don't really make a difference, so Im thinking that I have to go for the brand that gives the most support i.e. lastest release of drivers. Am I correct?

Thanks

If you only care about having the latest drivers then it doesn't matter. You can download drivers from the net for any make of 7900GT. nVidia even has them on their website. That is where I got my 84.25 driver from. The brand thing is more of a personal choice thing.

The three major brands people like seem to be eVGA, XFX, and BFG. I have heard that BFG is having problems with packaging though and it is causing broken caps on the boards....causing a DOA card.

Rickster said:
Im looking for a 7900GT but I don't know which brand I should get. I plan on overclocking it. There's so many brand out there like eVGA, XFX, Forsa. I don't know which to get. Is there any differences in the brand? I really do not want an overclocked version of the 7900GT since Im going to overclock it myself and there's no reason to be paying higher prices. Im thinking that the brands don't really make a difference, so Im thinking that I have to go for the brand that gives the most support i.e. lastest release of drivers. Am I correct?

Thanks

If you read the warranty close, EVGA has the best. You can do things to EVGA cards that void the warranty on most other cards.

Of course, all of these things are easy to "undo" if you need to send the card in, no matter what brand it is. Its not really all that big a deal, but its the reason I like EVGA over all the other card companies.

And of course there is the EVGA step-up program that no one else has either.

Marlon

I second eVGA. All other things are equal, but their warranty and step up program are nice additional services.

My personal favorite is evga. I've got a 7900GT on the way though and it's an Asus TOP version. I normally wouldn't spend the extra money on an Asus card, but I got it new off ebay for cheaper than an evga or xfx card. I'll give it a try.

I'm gona go ahead and buck the trend. XFX gets my vote. Double lifetime warranty makes re-sale of the card much easier. And from my experience (one friend has an XFX 7900Gt while the other a BFG) the XFX tends to OC a bit better.

Ok basically, I went price shopping for computer parts. In Malaysia we just don't have eVGA. And whats this stepping-up program?

So I'll list down the manufacturers I've seen:
- Winfast (according to one of the shops, they said Winfast was the first company to bring in the 7900GT, one of the most expensive after MSI)
- Forsa (Ive heard this brand but it used to make only low end nVidia cards, don't know much about it too, one of the cheapest)
- Gigabyte (seems to be the cheapest for some reason)
- MSI (seems to be the most expensive of them all)
- Galaxy (pfff... never heard of this brand, but alot of the shops sell it, also theres an OC version of it, weird)
- XFX (but it's rare and about RM200 more just for 1320MHz (stock is 1300mHz) OC of their RAM) definately I don't think its worth the price. BTW RM200 is like USD53.

This place that I went to is the best PC place you can go in Malaysia. Hmmm... Im really thinking about that Gigabyte one. The cheapest and atleast Ive heard of the brand. What do you think of it?
GigaBYTE 7900GT

Last edited:
XFX

I used eVga since they first came out here in USA. I have used Asus, XFX, eVga, t name a few. The XFX seems to OC as well as any that Ive owned. I have had two high end evga cards go bad. I just sent one back to newegg and got the XFX in its place.

Go with eVGA, they seem to have the best warranty out of all. I used to hate eVGA back when I had a 5900 but my views on them have completely changed. If they keep this up my next nVidia card will be from them.

The poor guy says he can't get an EVGA card in his country, so why does everyone keep suggesting one? Rickster, my recommendation is to get whatever is cheapest. There's no way of knowing which brand will overclock best.

KillrBuckeye said:
The poor guy says he can't get an EVGA card in his country, so why does everyone keep suggesting one? Rickster, my recommendation is to get whatever is cheapest. There's no way of knowing which brand will overclock best.

I was waiting till someone noticed :D

Yeah I really thinking of the Gigabyte 7900GT. Im sure I can order that eVGA online, but is it worth the hassle and the money. I've got to arrange all the payments and stuff, and if theres a problem got to send it back. And the shops that sell the computer stuff here in Malaysia import the products in large quantities so they get discounts and stuff. So getting it from them would be much cheaper than getting one card myself.

winfast is a Leadtek brand...iv always liked leadtek products :D I have a galaxy 7800gtx myself atm - its a cracking card, was cheap as well ;)

Back