• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900gto (overclocked) vs x1900xt 256 (stock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enz660

Im building a pc for a friend and im torn between these two cards. in MOST games, at stock speeds, the x1900xt 256 wins, but its not too overclockable since the temps and clocks are already high. I Hear that the gto is clockable to the perfromance of a 7900gtx. Is this true? Does this require some bios mod? If so, I dont want to do the whole bios thing, just good ol'e overclocking through coolbits. thanks. :beer:

Only difference between the GTX and GTO are memory speeds, about 300 MHz (effective). If you get the GTO to the memeory speed of the GTX then you have a GTX...

get the GTO!! as gto are just gtx's. head over to guru3d.com there are many that flashed their gto's to gtx's.

what is the gtx speed? I dont think mine clocks high enough, but then again, it may be my power supply is not giving it enough juice or this MB is not giving it enough. None of the cards I have had clocked very well which leads me to believe out of 4 different cards that the cards are not the issue.

Nandro said:
what is the gtx speed? I dont think mine clocks high enough, but then again, it may be my power supply is not giving it enough juice or this MB is not giving it enough. None of the cards I have had clocked very well which leads me to believe out of 4 different cards that the cards are not the issue.
stock gtx speeds are 650mhz core 1600mhz ram.

Evilsizer said:
stock gtx speeds are 650mhz core 1600mhz ram.

rrr i am quite ****ed... i guess crap like this happens but about 2 months ago when i built my amazing conroe rig i got the EVGA 7900gt KO 512mb.... for 370 :bang head 560 / 1550 is not bad.... its an amazing card but for freakin 260 nowadays i can have a 7900gto (literally a gtx) .... it just makes me wanna :bang head

lol

GTO will OWN up a x1900xt... and when its ocd to its normal speeds of 650 / 1600 MUHAHHAHAHAH pwnage. and thoes speeds are easily achievable because all nvidia did was flash the bios with a lesser ram speed.... no hardware changes that are super significant... just either overclock the ram.... use a bios editor to chage ram speed to gtx default... or flash with gtx bios.... its all the same... a GTO is a GTX... no doudbt bout that.

nd4spdbh2 said:
rrr i am quite ****ed... i guess crap like this happens but about 2 months ago when i built my amazing conroe rig i got the EVGA 7900gt KO 512mb.... for 370 :bang head 560 / 1550 is not bad.... its an amazing card but for freakin 260 nowadays i can have a 7900gto (literally a gtx) .... it just makes me wanna :bang head

lol

GTO will OWN up a x1900xt... and when its ocd to its normal speeds of 650 / 1600 MUHAHHAHAHAH pwnage. and thoes speeds are easily achievable because all nvidia did was flash the bios with a lesser ram speed.... no hardware changes that are super significant... just either overclock the ram.... use a bios editor to chage ram speed to gtx default... or flash with gtx bios.... its all the same... a GTO is a GTX... no doudbt bout that.
yep with nov 7th around the bend nv has dx10 cards otw so i expected they are wanting to clear out 7900 stock fast.

yea, I just clocked mine up to GTX speeds no problem. Runs like a champ, this was a deal and a half. Sold my 7800GT, and my 7800GTX got a super card and have funds to pay some long overdue bills. Now to wait for the Nforce 600 series boards.... or AMD to do some catching up and then feed off the people changing back to their beloved AMD when it has put itself on equal footing. I know the D805 is a deal and a half, but I a seriously cpu bound now. 2 of these wouldnt do me any good without a great cpu.

Yea, I got my gto to 730/800and its a beautifull thing. When you get more than what you pay for, you cant complain. I havent had any recent ATI cards so I cant compare, last one was the x1800xt, and the video quality was great, but although everyone touts ATI' video quality, unless its bad like the old FX cards, I had a 7800gtx at the same time and I couldnt see any difference during gameplay. Right now, the 7900GTO is the card to get for the money, unless you have a real fat wallet and dont care.

Just fully tested my GTO and it will max at 722/826 before the results start to go down, but the difference is so minimal that I am just going to run it at 700/800 and enjoy that. I don't need every last 10th of a frame per sec.I have tried all my games and it easily handles all of them which is about all you can ask from a $250 card.

is there any way to increase the voltage in the bios of these cards like I did with my 7800gt?

Back