• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked 2500k vs i7 3820 @ stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erevis

Hello,

The title says pretty much. Let me try to my explain my situation in short.

I plan to build a gaming system around in September when I move in to Michigan but I will be waiting for 22nm Intel CPU's to get the PCI 3.0 support (none of the cpu's or pc systems utilize PCI 3.0 at the moment). It will hold a single, powerful Nvidia card (something similar to GTX 580 or $500 price), 120Mhz Samsung display and Nvidia 3D Vision Kit.

Whether PCI 3.0 bandwith will be useful in gaming performance is another issue. Let's put that aside. Assume that I'm building my system today and not in the future. I opt for a single GTX 580 video card. I've the following CPU choices:

2500k @ 4.2-4.5Ghz with dual channel memory
i7 3820 @ stock speed with quad channel memory

Let's put other relevant factors here. A Z68 (or P67) mobo, a 120MM cpu cooler and a spacious case for the 2500k system. The below list looks hot to me for the overclocked 2500k situation:

CPU: 2500k
CPU cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9500
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Memory in dual channel: some 2x4GB 1600Mhz
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 (10" width, you can park your bike there)

On the other hand:

CPU: 3820 at stock speeds with turbo boost enabled
Motherboard: Some inexpensive, decent X79 (Gigabyte, Asus or MSI)
Memory in quad channel: some 4x2GB 1600Mhz
Case: A cheap one.

Which one is better? Overclocked 2500k with 6MB cache and dual channel memory or 3820 with 8MB cache and quad channel memory?

Final words:
1) I'm tired of researching the pc market. After a spending about a week, I find myself writing this post and giving up all that overclocking idea : (((. sigh...

2) My current system: i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz with 3x2GB 1333 in triple channel, Zotac GTX 260. Apparently, I cannot carry my desktop on plane. I need to buy a new gaming system.

3) I will be waiting for the 22nm Intel CPU's and new Nvidia GPU's (say GTX 680). I have no idea how expensive the 22nm CPU'S will be and how much performance/price they will offer with or without overclocking but I hope for the best. I don't have a tight budget but I'm willing to pay $$'s only if it is really worth it in terms of value = performance/price. Maybe I should forget about PCI 3.0 support.

Thanks a lot for replies.

You won't see any real benefit from going with theSB-E system. For gaming you won't need anything more than SB. I would definitely spend the money on higher quality SB components such as the high-end i5 when released along with a good z77 board vs lower quality SB-E components. Also I say i5 because you won't see a boost in gaming from the HT on an i7 whether SB/IB or SB-E/IB-E.

Based on the hypothesized build on today I would say 2500k on a solid Z68 board with 4GB RAM at atleast 1600 (perhaps a bit faster 1866/2000 with decent timings if you can swing it).

As for PCI-e 3.0 many Z68 boards support it, however you are correct you will need an IB CPU to support the extra bandwidth. Z77 will be released with IB however and I would pair an IB with a Z77 when they come out since you are waiting anyway.

Also, going with an 1155 build will allow you to spend a little extra money on board/case/cooling and still be able to get a good overclocking system.

Based on the hypothesized build on today I would say 2500k on a solid Z68 board with 4GB RAM at atleast 1600 (perhaps a bit faster 1866/2000 with decent timings if you can swing it).

+1. I don't foresee games being limited by CPUs as good as 2500k/2600k for years, so the X79/SB-E option would give you little if any actual performance gain for your money strictly for gaming.

Back