• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 core or 6 core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am tired of fighting the heat, i am tired of going into the bios and turning cores on and off, i am tired of having to walk down and having to check the beast now and then to make sure it's not over heating when i crunch my numbers.
i am not tired of cranking up the cpu clock speed and playing angry birds with my grandson, the screaming fans make him kackle like a flock of birds.

I am tired of fighting the heat, i am tired of going into the bios and turning cores on and off, i am tired of having to walk down and having to check the beast now and then to make sure it's not over heating when i crunch my numbers.
i am not tired of cranking up the cpu clock speed and playing angry birds with my grandson, the screaming fans make him kackle like a flock of birds.

Well you could build you a coooooler Intel cruncher and just put you a case fan on a rheostat to turn up for the grandson's cackle fit. Hehehehe. :chair:

if i can close in on the performance of the 8120 with a six core i will build a new system. I have looked at the dual optron server boards, but that is such a big step for me AND my wallet!!!!!!

Rgone, i have been reading aroud that the new intel cpu. ivy bridge is about as hot and power hungry as the amd, and i am an amd guy anyway.

Ivy bridge doesn't produce much heat and uses very little power. Less than SB on both counts. The core temps run hot, though. The issue is getting the heat out of the cores and into the heatsink and that is the flaw in their design since they are using TIM instead of solder now.

why can't they just make the thing big enough so the waterblocks get full contact on the plate? my issue, and i surly am not alone in this, is getting the heat into the waterblock, i can add more rad and more fan but at this point the block is the weak link.
i have tried 5 blocks and they are all so close in this it dos'nt matter witch one i put in.

frakk, your getting 70 gflops @4.0. I am getting 26-27. what gives here?
being a newb i'll make a stupid statment
a cpu @4.0 is a cpu @4.0, right?

Perhaps you should consider a Sandy Bridge while there still in the shops, yes there more expensive and at 80c overclocked high, 90 for Ivy they do actually produce more heat than your FX. But, and this matters.... they have a higher heat tolerance, about 90c for SB and 100c for IB, so you don't need to worry about the heat, pushing 70c with your FX for two days solid i can see why it worries you so.

frakk, your getting 70 gflops @4.0. I am getting 26-27. what gives here?
being a newb i'll make a stupid statment
a cpu @4.0 is a cpu @4.0, right?

Intel Burn was designed for Intel CPU's, it knows Intel CPU's. the arch inside your FX is so different from Intel the software does not know what to do with it.

still 27.... that is a lot lower then i would have expected, like i said before, take no notice of it, it means nothing. i was just curious.

Last edited:
or, alternatively, what clocks are you running it at? i'm just thinking back to what mjw21a said, of-course he's right....

If you take the clock and volts down your not going to get so much heat from it, it looks like your running it close to 4.8 / 5Ghz.

If within reason heat matters more than performance just bring it down a little.

my gflops are very low, no throttleing, 1600mem but in linux it just smokes like nothing else.
even at 4.4 it's still just 27-28 gflops. and hits 57c.
this cpu i call the pig, its hot and horrid at high clocks but running my program in linux at 4.4 it's faster than the others.

I run my fast one at 4.8 and short runs into 5.0 but with the temps in the 70s and voltage aroung 1.66 it's the very edge of my comfort zone. I have run up to 5.2 with it but 1.7 volts it's very short. it's happy spot is 4.7.

my gflops are very low, no throttleing, 1600mem but in linux it just smokes like nothing else.
even at 4.4 it's still just 27-28 gflops. and hits 57c.
this cpu i call the pig, its hot and horrid at high clocks but running my program in linux at 4.4 it's faster than the others.

Oh i believe it, your not the first person / Linux veteran i have seen completely floored in astonishment by the monster performance of FX CPU's in Linux.

I don't know why that is, my own CPU is a lot more sprite in Linux than it is with windows apps, when i bench it in Linux it annihilates any similar bench in windows, but that thing of yours for number crunching at least... it obviously eats my Thuban for breakfast.

And you obviously like it other than the heat its kicking out, so again at least just try it with lower clocks and volts, you might find a sweet spot in it. :)

Edit.... 5 - 5.2Ghz : 1.66 - 1.7 volts???? holy shift..... that's the highest watter overclock i have ever seen on FX, that's why all the heat, pull it back to 4.4 or 4.6 at most. how do you even keep that stable?

here is "the pig" ar 4.9 just a shorty to show the setup

Attachments

• 4900.jpg
    4900.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 92
yeah, you know what... that's pretty good for a 24 / 7 stable overclock as yours obviously is given its stressed 2 days solid, regular.

But that is right at the very top end of what they can do on anything other than ice, those are benching only clocks.

I don't want to sound like a broken record... you know :)

oh, that screen shot is only at about 20 seconds in, you should see the temps after 20-30 mins, it gets scary in a hurry. the way i know its the water block performence holding it back is that the water temps are nothing.

could there be anything to gain in the ht link or the other settings, all of the ht link and mem settings are left stock because i know nothing about them.

this is what it looks like after 10 repeats of ibt, high setting @4.6

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 85
I phoned the guy that wrote my numbers crunching program and he says that linux above about kernel #3.10 will use the 8 core as 8 cores with 8 water pipes feeding them. winblows treats it as 4 cores fed by two water pipes each but,each core can only draw from one pipe at a time. and that is why it is so much faster in linux than windblows.

Back