• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 core or 6 core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what ever it is delivered with, i will look at those numbers tonight, starting monday it's teardown and rebuild for that machine. it's a bit amazing to me how in two months in this case the number and size of the dust bunnys that build up, massive airflow i assume.

what ever it is delivered with, i will look at those numbers tonight, starting monday it's teardown and rebuild for that machine. it's a bit amazing to me how in two months in this case the number and size of the dust bunnys that build up, massive airflow i assume.

Make sure that it's at 2000MHz and 1.175V. Some MB's for some reason default to 2200. Slight changes to the CPU/NB can sometimes have instability problems while OC'ing if not set right.

I'll try that tonight, i now remember that it is all set to "auto" in the bios.
and it occures to me that i replaced the 1333 ram with 1600 and i have not yet reset the rtc/cmos

As designed and fabricated, AMD CPU's have a series of temperature diodes (how many they won't say as it's "proprietary")

Gosh darnit!

With that type of 'tude, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD also refuses to help the FOSS communities for their GPUs and thus always require proprietary drivers! :mad:

More likely to boycott AMD for making basic thermal sensor info that Intel don't, a trade secret! :mad:

I really don't want to boycott AMD.

Now AMD's more likely to tell the FOSS communities to F-off!

Now FOSS communities may be forced to reverse engineer AMD thermal diodes.

AMD may have just jumped the shark!

Last edited:
Gosh darnit!

With that type of 'tude, it wouldn't be surprising if AMD also refuses to help the FOSS communities for their GPUs and thus always require proprietary drivers! :mad:

More likely to boycott AMD for making basic thermal sensor info that Intel don't, a trade secret! :mad:

They don't make "basic thermal sensor" info "proprietary". They make exact thermal sensor info proprietary (i.e. how many and exactly where and the algorithm used to determine TCore I would imagine). None of that affects us at all since the only temperature we need to worry about with AMD CPU's is "TCase" which is an average of those thermal sensors. One reading, it doesn't matter to us how it's derived when we need to see if our overclocks are climbing past the maximum temperature which is TCase Max.

Interesting that "Tcase" is not the T-Bird-like motherboard socket sensor.

(Because with the T-Bird, 11 years ago, chip sensors didn't even exist, thus, T-Birds were sometimes sitting ducks for getting fried!)

The first chip-based sensor, was introduced with Palomino, the first-gen Athlon XP.
(T-Bird was right before the Athlon XP line.)

Going by socket sensors, is soo 11 years old!

They can give a false sense of security (varies by motherboard) when maxing out OCs, because they may report the chips being as much as 30 F less than the real temp!

Last edited:
tore down, cleaned system, replaced old pump/res with an xspc x20-750.
found tim dried to sand remounted block, reset rtc/cmos. reran prime95 for 20 mins and it has improved alot!!!!

Attachments

• 4.4 Capture.JPG
    4.4 Capture.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 112
i mean 47c seems very good, but at which one of those many clocks you run was that temp shown? Trying to see about how much it really went down.

that is "the pig" at 4.4ghz and the normal set up i use.

i also forgot to mention that i turned the fan i use to blow on the back side of the socket to an exaust fan.

Those are good temps, you have room for more, now try it a 4.6Ghz :)

I would say keep the Core temp under 55c and CPU under 65c and you should be fine.

my system is still freezing at 4.6 and up, I think it the operating system because when i reboot it will post and bring up the black os choice sceen.

my system is still freezing at 4.6 and up, I think it the operating system because when i reboot it will post and bring up the black os choice sceen.

sounds like memory corruption, i'm not sure i can help you with that, memory is not my strong suit.

The min value is 13°C (55°F) and the current value is 15°C (59°F). How cold is the room you are in? This is just water cooling with fans, right?

Last edited:
The min value is 13°C (55°F) and the current value is 15°C (59°F). How cold is the room you are in? This is just water cooling with fans, right?

TCore will always show low readings because of the way the algorithm that's used to derive them works. Below a certain temp it gets thrown off and will show a rediculously low temperature. Again....TCore is unimportant. TCase (CPU Temp) is the one that is a "real" reading (TCore is mathmatically derived from TCase) and is the one that is relevant to the listed maximum temperature (TCase Max).

TCore will always show low readings because of the way the algorithm that's used to derive them works. Below a certain temp it gets thrown off and will show a rediculously low temperature. Again....TCore is unimportant. TCase (CPU Temp) is the one that is a "real" reading (TCore is mathmatically derived from TCase) and is the one that is relevant to the listed maximum temperature (TCase Max).

Bubba, not saying for sure you are wrong but this is exactly opposite of the conventional wisdom we have relied on around the forum as we always tell people that core temp is the most important temp value, unless of course, the sensor seems broken or obviously miscalibrated. And I have noted that with stock cooling the core temps are usually a little higher than socket temp and with good aftermarket cooling the opposite is true.

Back