• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 8 Gb vs. 16 Gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

Let me fill you in on the details. I am slowly upgrading my PC over time (just bought new cpu and mobo couple weeks ago). I am planning on upgrading my RAM next so I can get the old sticks into my old mobo and cpu and set up a server on it, or get into folding (pretty interested in this), not sure yet. Anyway, my question is would I see any noticable boost in performance with 16 Gb vs. 8 Gb? Money is not a major issue, just interested in some other opinions on the subject since I don't really have any tech friends at home to ask.

Thanks for any input!

Edit: This is for a Main Computer. Gaming and Multimedia. Getting into some programming and linux on it as well since my laptop is starting to die on me.

Last edited:
That's what I thought, guy at work swears by 16 Gb and was trying to persuade me to buy 16 as well. I usually don't go over 8 Gb. Probably just gonna stick with 8 and put the saved money to other use.

Multimedia probably won't use more than 8gb, and I've never seen a game that comes close. If you're doing 3d work, there's a benefit to 16gb, but most people won't need it at the moment.

I recently upgraded from 8gb to 16, the main difference I see is stats, as far as performance I really don't see any. I do a lot of art work, etc so I figured better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If your referring to my post I do not see any gain in use at all, it looks better on some stats where my memory usage dropped, and such, but overall I see not performance gain at all from the 8gb I was running to the 16gb I am running now, However because of some of the graphic work I do I rather have the 16gb of RAM in case something needs more then 8gb, rather then have only 8gb and need more.

Unless you're working with monster Photoshop or Premiere files or doing computation/engineering work, chances are you don't need more than 8GB.

Its what we recommend for gaming/general use machines.

I do at times work with very large photoshop files, as well as flash files, not to mention running virtual machines and xamp server, so those are the reasons I got the extra RAM, I must mention also that with my machine setup the way it is the adding RAM caused no issues to my settings at all, it simply installed and picked right up where it left off at 8gb, the only noticeable difference is it did max out my windows experience score and photoshop is very fast now, but I mainly contribute that to the overclocking as much as I do the amount of RAM.

I do at times work with very large photoshop files, as well as flash files, not to mention running virtual machines and xamp server, so those are the reasons I got the extra RAM, I must mention also that with my machine setup the way it is the adding RAM caused no issues to my settings at all, it simply installed and picked right up where it left off at 8gb, the only noticeable difference is it did max out my windows experience score and photoshop is very fast now, but I mainly contribute that to the overclocking as much as I do the amount of RAM.

See, my reasons are all engineering based. I run ProE, with multiple PDFs/Excel files, Abaqus, LS PrePost and other software. I've seen over 8GB a few times, not from one program, but still cracked the mark.

And I got my set for ~$60 new :thup:

same here I have a bad habit when working in photoshop of opening several other graphic programs to create little parts I need then the next thing I know I have 20 tabs open in photoshop and a couple other programs a couple browsers, an ftp program....and of course overclcokers forums

And I got lucky I got 16gb of G.Skill RipJaws for $102

same here I have a bad habit when working in photoshop of opening several other graphic programs to create little parts I need then the next thing I know I have 20 tabs open in photoshop and a couple other programs a couple browsers, an ftp program....and of course overclcokers forums

And I got lucky I got 16gb of G.Skill RipJaws for $102

Sounds very similar to me with homework lol

G.Skill Sniper for $64.59 :D

Anyway, enough thread-jacking, I still think 8GB would serve the OP well for a few years, with a 2x4GB kit allowing for expansion later to 4x4GB.

Yep I agree 8gb should serve him well, but our opinions should benefit others that read this that use there boxes for something a little more drastic then halo.
Cheers

Yep I agree 8gb should serve him well, but our opinions should benefit others that read this that use there boxes for something a little more drastic then halo.
Cheers

Definitely! That's why I kept the discussion going!

Thanks for the input guys! I'm just gonna stick with 8 Gb. I really have no need for more after reading all of the above (didn't mind the thread jack myself, gave me more info to help my decision.) Gonna save the extra cash for better videocard in the future, or maybe better cooling for CPU. Off topic, but any ideas on a better cooler than an H60? I used to really like it, but its blocking a fan bay on top of my case with rad in push/pull that i would like to open up.

How much are you looking to spend for a cooler?

The NH-D14 and PH-TC14PE are both awesome (Love my D14) and they'll both perform between the H80 and H100.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm just gonna stick with 8 Gb. I really have no need for more after reading all of the above (didn't mind the thread jack myself, gave me more info to help my decision.) Gonna save the extra cash for better videocard in the future, or maybe better cooling for CPU. Off topic, but any ideas on a better cooler than an H60? I used to really like it, but its blocking a fan bay on top of my case with rad in push/pull that i would like to open up.

I think my h100 is adequate but if I had to do it again I would go with the h110 or at a minimum the h100i for the better hoses and the improvement with flow which equals cooler. These guys will tell you the straight up truth, but read make a short list of coolers and research the read and ask here.

I'm not looking to spend an obscene amount of money, maybe around $80 since I paid $60 for my h60, but my absolute maximum would be $100. I'm mostly looking for something that can outperform my h60. I don't think I can fit an h100 in my case, so I will probably have to go back to air cooling.

You can get either cooler I mentioned for well under $100, most likely under $80.

Both will outperform an H60 by quite a bit.

Back