• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 8 Gb vs. 16 Gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea a quick check shows an h100i for less then $100. If you have the room for the rad in your case, there are a couple threads in these forums where guys have mounted the rads in some really small cases. Just depends on what you want to do for cooling but the benefits of the bigger rad will out preform any single fan rad. Just something to think about.

Those air coolers are huge! Definitely gonna have to measure and see if they will fit in my case before purchase.

And don't forget to measure the thickness where you want to mount it remember if you mount it with the rad, and fans on one side its pretty thick, and if you go with the push/pull fans like I did it is monstrous even in my full size case it ends up being over 3" thick.

Those air coolers are huge! Definitely gonna have to measure and see if they will fit in my case before purchase.

I've got the NH-D14 in my NZXT M59 with the top fans still in place. Its a squeeze, but it actually fits in a lot of cases.

Its also silent. I can't hear it at all.

I picked out parts for my friend the other night we went went a 8gig kit , the next day he came over and said a guy @ his work told him he shouldnt be looking @ anything less than 16 gigs . So I Opened firefox , I opened 50 tabs + youtube playing some music , then I opened Hitman Absolution , then I opened and ran firmark and sissoft sandra . You know how much ram I was using 2.3gigs..... at that point he stoped asking if i thought he should get the 16 gig kit vs the 8 I picked out . It all depends on what you will be doing , Im sure i would still be fine with 4 gigs.

Did some measuring, and the NH-D14 looks like it is the largest that my case will support. Still not sure of it fitting though. Anything else a little smaller but will still beat an h60?

PH-TC14PE
PH-TC12DX
Hyper212 EVO

In order of descending performance.

The coolermaster Hyper 212 is a great air cooler, but it is tall, 6.5" tall if you go that way I strongly suggest using the push/pull for for it which adds more bulk, together with the 2 fans this monster comes in at 4 3/8" wide

The coolermaster Hyper 212 is a great air cooler, but it is tall, 6.5" tall if you go that way I strongly suggest using the push/pull for for it which adds more bulk, together with the 2 fans this monster comes in at 4 3/8" wide

If his case fits the NH-D14, it'll fit the 212 or 212 EVO.

If his case fits the NH-D14, it'll fit the 212 or 212 EVO.

Just wanted to make sure because with my Vampire full size case it was closer then I thought it would be, thats why I dug it out of the closet and measured it.

Looking around the Internet I'm pretty confident I can fit the NH-D14, so that may be the way I'm gonna go. Hoping to get one soon, preferably before moving back to school. Thanks for all the help guys!

Looking around the Internet I'm pretty confident I can fit the NH-D14, so that may be the way I'm gonna go. Hoping to get one soon, preferably before moving back to school. Thanks for all the help guys!

From Cooler Master's site for the 430 Elite:
CPU cooler height: 163mm / 6.4 inch

So your case fits up to 163mm tall heatsinks. The NH-D14 is 160mm tall. You're good as long as your RAM will fit under it. Don't know what RAM you have though :thup:

I am going to put in 8 gigs of G.Skill Ripjaws. I've seen people with it and the nh-d14. Think it will fit, or go on the safe side and get shorter ram?

the gain with push pull on that cooler is only like 2c prolly has to due with the slow fin density. not worth the added cost imo a new fan costs half as much as the whole cooler does lol.

LOL seen people spend way more for 2c worth of cooling.
imho the coolermaster hyper 212 is a very good air cooler, for mild overclocking and for far less then the cheapest AIO liquid with performance that would best some of the lower end single fan liquid coolers, and as documented very well in another thread did well for me up till 4.3, after that the voltage increase demanded a better cooling system. To say that another fan for push/pull would cost half as much as the cooler, to me means that you could get a air cooler that is that good with two fans for very cheap. And one advantage it has that this liquid cooler doesn't it is moving air over the RAM and the Northbridge, something the waterblock doesn't do, so therefore I had to add another fan to make up that airflow.

im saying generally if you are buying a 212 you are trying to save money... if you want better cooling and have the money get something better rather than spend the extra money for another fan. it would make no sense.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you just sharing my experience with the 212, I am lucky I got the 212 with 2 fans for $20 so it was the way to go for me..... right up till the voltages had to go up.

Back