• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 Series coming out sooner than you thought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh cool, i was thinking about getting a new mobo soon for the main since i didnt decide to go mATX case and all...mATX boards in EATX cases look strange...

any way its relaly limiting and i was hoping to X fire another 5770 down the road soon

I read somewhere that 890FX chipset will have 42 PCIE 2.0 lanes. Is it true?
How many will GX have?

Will there be any real improvement? Most of us run a single card video solution so PCIe lanes are no biggie. I want to know about bus improvements and data handling capability. Is the raid up to par with Intel? Is the integrated audio capable of taking more load off of the CPU? What new capabilities does the chipset add that I can't get on an add in card? Give me a massively improved chipset that is more capable of doing more of what it does now! I can buy add in cards for SATA 6G and USB 3.0 HERE and save the trouble of a MB swap as well as better performance to boot.

Probably on the GX.

My bad on the lanes, though. Most people ask about graphics so I don't really think about the non-graphic ones. I would assume the 890FX will still have 2x16 (or 4x8 = 32 total) available for graphics. But, you know, even older AMD boards had that feature. All the ASUS '32' series (A8N32, M2N32, and M3A32) have 32 graphics lanes even though they are PCIe 1 ...

Last edited:
all i know is i hope this 1 16x to 2 8x slots stuff ends, we've got technology that can handle it but its never implimented.

weither or not all of it gets used is another sroty but it would be nice to see

Hmmm... there hardly seems like there's any major changes or great new features. Sort of disappointing... although there could be stuff we don't know yet that'll make it worth it. Seems unnecessary to upgrade, I'll probably stick with a 790FX or 790GX when I upgrade.

all i know is i hope this 1 16x to 2 8x slots stuff ends, we've got technology that can handle it but its never implimented.

weither or not all of it gets used is another sroty but it would be nice to see
Huh??? Not sure what you mean by that.

2x16 has been out for several years now ... :shrug:

i know but alot of mobo manufacturers will stilol kick it down to 2 8x slots. its time for it to stop the ability is there to run several 16x slots at full speed regardless

Dolk, any info on what improvements there will be in the 890FX over the 790FX nb and the 750 sb chip set?
I'm moving up to a AM3 system, already got the memory and I can wait until the 16th of April
if there's going to be some improvement, other wise I'll just get the ASUS M4A79-T deluxe and be done with it.

I've seen a couple of pics of the 890FX NB and it seems they're moving it over so it's under the MOSFETs instead of under the CPU socket. That not only makes it easier to put a huge cooler across both MOSFETs and NB (instead of the traditional heatpipe arrangement - the MSI board I saw follows this route) it also gets the whole thing closer to the exhaust fan. The other pics I saw (I think it was an mATX) had no MOSFET cooler and an active NB cooler - old-fashioned aluminum block with fan.

This MSI board did have a SB to NB/MOSFET heatpipe, the mATX(?) had no heatpipes at all.

Edit:
I think moving the NB over is a great idea considering the way most boards have been cooling it the last few years. Having the NB sink between the CPU and exhaust should help a lot and getting rid of the NB/MOSFETs heatpipe should cut production costs a little ... :)

Last edited:
Back