• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8086k Downclocking due to AVX load on desktop at "idle"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

8GordonFreeman8

Registered
My 8086k is downclocking due to my -3 AVX offset at an idle desktop. When i remove the offset, it stops downclocking.... It just started doing this randomly this evening. Any ideas? I am posting this and will edit it later if everyone jumps my *** for not throwing up my system information, but its just weird. I am looking for ideas.

Its been stable and running at 5.0ghz to all on 1.28v for awhile now. But suddenly starts running some mystery AVX instructions. It does it at idle and does it while I am gaming. Its weird, and is tripping me out.

Any new processes running in the background? Sounds like an infection or someone backdoorin ya. Any new updates from intel lately? It might be a borked install.
Thats all i can think of right now. GL!

I hate when they backdoor me.... my thoughts were along these lines too. LOL. Watch me wipe everything, return my modem to comcast and have it be something normal though, so I'm hoping there is a less awful explanation. Only thing I am noticing is the Antimalware service executable. Which is always doing things, but never ran AVX that i know of. I removed my OC and watched too. Makes it turbo up to 5.0 at desktop too....ugh. This is going to be painful.

Return your modem? Why?

Check task manager and see what processes are running that could be the culprit.

Yeah. Been doing these. Anyone know how to monitor my clock speed in safe mode? Nothing seems to work. And I would return the modem if i decided to wipe everything out. Its a comcast xfi gateway and could be infected be something if it was really nasty. I can't find anything that looks crazy.....hmmmm.

Windows 10 uses AVX instructions periodically in the background. A lot of games also use AVX now.

This is seeming more reasonable. LOL. My computer is a glorified test bench, so just reinstalled Win 10. LOL. Same deal. Well, if this is the case could you perhaps point me more directly at what uses AVX within windows. I still don't think many games do, I've heard a few do. Maybe I'm wrong. Wondering if I should just see how it does without my -3 offset. LOL. Who hates downclocking? THIS GUY. Thanks for your reply. Anymore info would be welcome.

Back