• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8086k Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty much the same can be on any mobo but I won't hide that I had problems with BIOS on older ASUS mobos (pre X370/Z270). Most RMA were related to dead BIOS (like no chance to even run recovery) or CPU socket issues. On GB all RMA were on the same + power section issues. I had no issues with BIOS or sockets on ASRock and MSI boards and I'm testing a lot of ASRock mobos in last months.
For 8086K I'm using MSI Z370I GC ITX. It runs in pretty hot ITX box without issues for couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if any Z370 mobo requires BIOS update for 8086K only to make it work. Microcode supposed to be the same as on every other CPU. At least I was using my CPU on 3 mobos, all with first BIOS and all were working fine.

Well the CPU compatiblity list for my mobo indicates that only the absolute most recent version (F7) supports the 8086k, and the CPU light was on when I attempted to boot with it, indicating a problem with the CPU. Since the likelyhood of what is esentially a binned 8700k being faulty is less likely than a mobo being faulty im going to continue to blame the mobo. And the 8086k successfully booted a mobo at least once. The CPU pins all look fine after two reseats. I even cleaned the contacts on the CPU itself with 99% isopropyl. I am reaaaaaaaaly hoping this Celeron fixes it.

Only hope it will fix it. Still weird for me but I'm not really using GB recently.

Ok, what the hell.

So, the motherboard is fine, I tested it with the celeron. Here it is booted and working.

VX1s6Hr.jpg

As expected, the BIOS is one too early to support the 8086k - F6 vs F7

CVogSsC.jpg

However, when I reseated the 8086k... It still does not POST.

What did I do? Is my CPU actually broken? What even are the odds of that... how else can I troubleshoot it? Give it an alcohol bath or what? Did the ASUS motherboard kill it?

Last edited:
sorry, communication is not my strong suit. Yes I updated it to F7 and the board will still not boot with the 8086k. I just took that picture to show that it was indeed an old bios, and the other picture to show that the board does work and my test bench in case it comes up if I have to RMA anything. Where its showing A6 is with the Celeron installed. With the 8086k installed, no Qcode shows at all. The CPU light shines, it restarts a few times and then stops and won't power back on with the onboard power switch until I turn the PSU itself on and off. Gonna try to RMA the 8086k. Maybe the ASUS board fried it lol. Jeez this has been an annoying escapade.

Last edited:
My Gigabyte Z370 with F7 BIOS had zero issues with my 8086K. Check your ram, reset the bios, unplug anything non-essential, run your standard IT resolution steps before RMA'ing. If it worked on one but not the other, remove other possible variables first.

My Gigabyte Z370 with F7 BIOS had zero issues with my 8086K. Check your ram, reset the bios, unplug anything non-essential, run your standard IT resolution steps before RMA'ing. If it worked on one but not the other, remove other possible variables first.

That picture of the mobo up there is everything I had plugged in when I tested the 8086k. Only 24 pin mobo power, CPU power, heatsink, 8086k installed into mobo, mouse, keyboard, displayport from CPU. That's IT.

No storage. No add in cards. Nothing. Worked great with the Celeron, got to BIOS, updated the BIOS successfully. Swapped out CPU for 8086k. No POST, no boot, no display, no anything. The CPU itself looks fine really, the same as the Celeron on the underside. The RAM is known working (using it now in fact) and was the same ram used on the Celeron. To my knowledge there are no more steps. The only thing I'm hoping in that Intel accepts RMAs on these won CPUs since I read something about no warranty in the fine print on the sweepstakes rules, which would be extremely crappy of them yet the CPU came in a retail box with a retail warranty manual thing.

We'll see if they try to juke me... Hopefully they respond quick.

EDIT:

Appears that they will warranty it. They're not asking for an invoice or anything so that's good. Turnaround appears to be ~7 days. Nice.

Last edited:
Back