• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 Zambezi : Illegal Sumout on Core 7&8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

I don't understand, I have done everything! Temps are great, vcore should be more than stable! I can't get 7&8 workers to stay, I can boot to windows and game and everything is dandy.

No blue screen, no high temps, any ideas?!

C16E COOLNQUIET disabled

only thing enabled in that area is SVM

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Does it do this at stock speeds?

Edit: What is your vCore while P95 is running?

to make things a little easier for people to help try adding your pics directly to the thread instead of hosting them else where ...... I have moved them in for you. This just makes it easier to see whats up.

main.jpg
ram1.jpg
ram2.jpg

Generally with illegal sum out you need to add VCore though at 4.2GHZ 1.45v should be lots. I see you have your ram OC'd to 2000mhz from 1600mhz. Have you tried to run this ram at lower speeds forst to get stability before OCing them?

EDIT........

I noticed in your sig ..... MSI 970A G46 ..... if I am not mistaken this is a 4+1 power phase though it has been hard to find that written anywhere ..... we don't get many MSI boards here. The 970 chipset might not be capable of running much of an OC from what I can see there is not any decent cooling on the mosfets and we all have seen how much power these FX CPU's draw when OC'd.

Last edited:
1. That is an old HWMonitor.

2. TMPlN1 is the cpu socket temp and if so, it is pretty much too high already with a CM 212 EVO air cooler.

3. #2 above would lead one to believe the VRM circuit is having a terrible time keeping up with the current draw of a FX 8 core processor.

4. I have surfed thru the MSI forum and seen the regulars telling the newbs to stay away from the G46 for overclocking a 6 core and an 8 core FX procesor for sure.

Didn't know all that about the MSI boards, thanks for the input guys. I am stable @ 3.8 and I will stay there for now.

Although , I am strongly considering migrating to a 4770k. I do heavy image editing as I am a photographer and do my share of gaming especially with GW2 which is very cpu heavy...

So might be moving to a decent board with a 4670k/4770k soon.

I do my video editting with an FX-8350 at 4.8Ghz and it is easily twice as fast as my Intel rig at 4.0Ghz with 4 cores and 4 hyper-threaded. The 8 core FX processors; on a good board similar to my Crosshair V, are very good for real work. In some cases the Intel is better for play such as gaming.

Your last CU (CU 4) is just weaker than the other 3. CU 1 = Core 0/1, CU 2 = Core 2/3, CU 3 = Core 4/5, CU 4 = 6/7.
Generally this CU seems to be weak, though not always the case...just one of the odd behaviors of this platform.

Anyway, usually a slight bump in vcore should fix it, if not, try a little more, if this doesn't solve the problem then the best thing to do is get better cooling or back off on the overclock until stable.

Your vcore is already a little high, and your temperatures are not high at all, so my advice is to live with a lower overclock or ditch the CPU. Some FX-8100 series were just inherently bad overclockers.

Last edited:
Your last CU (CU 4) is just weaker than the other 3. CU 1 = Core 0/1, CU 2 = Core 2/3, CU 3 = Core 4/5, CU 4 = 6/7.
Generally this CU seems to be weak, though not always the case...just one of the odd behaviors of this platform.

Anyway, usually a slight bump in vcore should fix it, if not, try a little more, if this doesn't solve the problem then the best thing to do is get better cooling or back off on the overclock until stable.

Your vcore is already a little high, and your temperatures are not high at all, so my advice is to live with a lower overclock or ditch the CPU. Some FX-8100 series were just inherently bad overclockers.

That's what it appears to be, along with a motherboard that I have heard multiple people say are NOT overclocking boards at all. Which is fine, I'm happy with my stable 3.8 for the time being. However, come Christmas time I will be buying myself ONE big present. :) This ONE big present will include, a CPU > MOBO > PSU and a GTX 770/or 780 :) It's all for A COMPUTER so I can count it as the "ONE" present to myself right? Hehe

Back