• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8300 & 8600 details

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nd4spdbh2 said:
problem is in SLI you CANNOT run dual monitors.
I know. They way I've got it set up right now (and plan to do with my 8600s), I don't have it in SLI for general working/surfing/etc, plus playing FSX. When I'm in a game other than FSX, I switch it into SLI.

an jeeze what resolutions you running at... im sure the 8800gts could drive 2 30inch monitors in a game quite decently...
You obviously haven't tried FSX. :p You know how HL2 is known for being very CPU dependant? Take that and multiply by 10. I see very little difference in going from a single 6800GT to an 8800GTS. There is literally ZERO difference in going from 640x480 to 1600x1200 or going from Very Low res textures to Extremely High res textures, but move the auto-gen scenery from None to Sparce and your frame rate drops 20 fps. :rolleyes:

Memphis69 said:
hummm im really excited for these cards to come out... i was thinking about getting a 7950.. what do ya all think? hold off and get one of them 86something's or go a head and pick up a 7950? talk to me..

also.. they dont say anything about pixle pipes whats that all about.?? or are the shaders more important?
IMHO I would wait for the 8600. It's DX10 compatible (obviously) and will probably be VERY fast for the money.

Also, I could be wrong here, but if the 8600's are anything like the 8800's they have a unified architecture which no longer counts "pipelines". It is supposed to be much more efficient than the old design.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
IMHO I would wait for the 8600. It's DX10 compatible (obviously) and will probably be VERY fast for the money.

Also, I could be wrong here, but if the 8600's are anything like the 8800's they have a unified architecture which no longer counts "pipelines". It is supposed to be much more efficient than the old design.

heya thanks for the reply.. i was unsure how that worked...also... how well will ( crap.. i guess we dont know yet.. ) it stack up agenst the 78-- and up cards.. but i guess only time ill tell...

It's just a hunch but for 179.99 I think the 8600 Ultra will perform incredibly well. If you take into consideration just how big of a leap the 8800s were....and the fact that they took longer to develop the 8600s (which may have been on purpose but still). I think they will be great!

LoneWolf121188 said:
I know. They way I've got it set up right now (and plan to do with my 8600s), I don't have it in SLI for general working/surfing/etc, plus playing FSX. When I'm in a game other than FSX, I switch it into SLI.

You obviously haven't tried FSX. :p You know how HL2 is known for being very CPU dependant? Take that and multiply by 10. I see very little difference in going from a single 6800GT to an 8800GTS. There is literally ZERO difference in going from 640x480 to 1600x1200 or going from Very Low res textures to Extremely High res textures, but move the auto-gen scenery from None to Sparce and your frame rate drops 20 fps. :rolleyes:

ouch that seems like a VERY cpu dependant game... is it multi threaded?

Memphis69 said:
also.. they dont say anything about pixle pipes whats that all about.?? or are the shaders more important?
no such thing as pixel pipeline and vertex shaders n e more... stream processors can do the job of pixle pipeline / vertex shader / physics processing all in one. and can be allocated differently depeding on what is needed.

What do you guys think a 8600U & 8600GT would compare to now? I'm about to make the move back to A64/PCIe from a chitty rig and I'm going to need a videocard. I was gonna get my old 6800GT back but now that this is coming around...

ziggo0 said:
What do you guys think a 8600U & 8600GT would compare to now? I'm about to make the move back to A64/PCIe from a chitty rig and I'm going to need a videocard. I was gonna get my old 6800GT back but now that this is coming around...

Well, when a next gen. comes out, the mainstream product is usually as fast as the previous gen's enthusiast card (6800U-7600GT, 6600GT-5900U)....

I have a feeling a 8600GT/U will have the same performance of a 7950GT, or even a 7900GTX.

dan

Last edited:
Dan0512 said:
I have a feeling a 8600GT/U will have the same performance of a 7950GT, or even a 7900GTX.
And if it is.....at 179 that will be a great price point. Not to mention the fact that the card will be probably be smaller (length wise), take less power, and be DirectX 10 compatible. I can't wait!

the word a while ago was february-march, but it's looking like it will be closer to april-may, at least judging by these reports.

nd4spdbh2 said:
ouch that seems like a VERY cpu dependant game... is it multi threaded?
I wish. :( There's a DX10 patch coming out when DX10 launches that everyone and his mother are hoping includes multithreading support, or at least make the game more GPU dependant...or just make the Autogen suck less. :rolleyes:

kovboi said:
the word a while ago was february-march, but it's looking like it will be closer to april-may, at least judging by these reports.
:( I know I'm buying two, my brother is buying two, and his friend is probably buying two. I need my DX10 fix!

Bugger....here I was thinking I could happily plug away with my rig without needing any kind of upgrade....then I see for like 350( ish ) I can go DX10 SLI! OMG n00bs!

This makes me sad, I'm going to buy new video cards sooner than building my UltraSuperDuperFantabulous PC...but oh well.

I love that price point for the 8600 GT, that's sweet.

If those figues are genuine and the UK wasnt a rip off, I'd be all over a 8600 Ultra 512MB on or near release. However, I know that I will probably end up being forced to settle for a 8600GT 256MB due to costs :(

Still, can't wait for DX10 cards :beer:

In windows you can use duel monitors and SLI at the same time if you have 3 graphics cards; however, I haven't been able to get that to go in linux.

Back