• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320, NH-D14, and Prime95 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odin6786

Hello, i have a question on the temps i get from my processor.

I just completed my build last night.
NZXT Phantom, 1 front intake, 1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust
M5A99X Evo R.2.0
FX-8320 with Noctua nh-d14
Asus R9 270X
8GB G.Skill Ares 1866
Seasonic M12II

I just ran Prime 95 for only 10 minutes, but according to AI Suite II my CPU temps were floating between 48 and 49 degrees C. Is this really high for my cooler? I expected it to be lower.

I know it was only 10 minutes of test, but that still just seems high. Correct me if i am wrong please. I do not know ambient temps of my room exactly, but i would guess mid to high 60's.

Also at idle, just downloading a steam game right now, it's sitting at 30C.
Any thoughts?

AI suite ...... AI suite can introduce many issues into your system, theres a few good threads here on Overclockers here about these issues. You will be better off in the long run to uninstall it and use something like HWMonitor to monitor your system voltage and temps. Any overclocking should be done in the BIOS.

All that being said your temp AI Suite is showing would be your CPU Socket temp at Stock clocks I assume, around 48*C to 50*C is not bad, you want to keep this temp below 70*C.

Let's see a screenshot of HWMonitor after 20mins of Prime95.

Stop it if "Package" gets over 60C or Socket gets over 75C.

bass is spot on the temp in ai suite is socket and not the processor cores.

if you use that software long it will cause all your hair to junmp ship.

Thank you all for the replys.

I will post a screen shot after work.

However i want to say that before i read all this, i did use the AI Suite auto overclocking feature(yes, i know, do not use it anymore) Well, it OCed my processor to 4.2GHz and was running fine and stable but at one point last night i got a message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying "Warning! CPU Centigrade 65C!" Yet Openhardware Monitor and Core Temp both gave me Core temp readings of only 50C.
I am sorry i do not have a screenshot of that and would prefer to not have the chance to provide one in the future. But based off my description, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'm pretty sure AI Suite works of the socket temps and that wouldn't surprise me conidering you have that 8 cvore in a 6 phase board so the power section/ socke t will be the first to get hot. You'll likely need additional air flow in that area and behind the Motherboard if possible.

Back