• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8370 with Wraith Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kwikgta

I just got and installed my new 8370 and wraith cooler into my main rig on my old 990 FXA-UD5 board and I'm really pleased with it. She went 4.6 and stable on stock voltage, and right now I'm setting at 4.8 stable with 1.45 volts. Temps are 29C @ idle, 36C while surfing, 50C after an hour of gaming. I could push it more, but it runs really well and stays cool so I'm gonna leave it right where it is. For a oem cooler the wraith is very impressive. I've also finally upgraded to ssd's with twin Mushkin Reactor 512's in raid 0. My 4 year old 8350 and 6 velociraptor/raid 0 setup have been migrated to my backup/benching station. Now to start saving for a 970 GTX :)

Last edited:
What's load temps like? IE Prime 95 temps. I've thought about picking on of those up as a backup if it does better than my 212 EVO, but my load temps as closer to Prime 95 temps... Yay compiling stuff!

Is the fancy cooler worth paying $20 more for the CPU? Frankly, if I were going to run one of those 8 core FX CPUs and overclock it I would spend that $20 on water.

The temps have yet to break 60C. I paid 10 bucks extra not 20 for the wraith cooler. My thoughts were that if it didn't do the job I needed, I would order an aftermarket assembly and put the wraith on my old 8350 at the benching station. For 10 bucks I'm very pleased with it and will leave it on the 8370. Wish i could buy another wraith just for the 8350 :)

Last edited:
$10 more is a pretty reasonable. I was looking on NewEgg yesterday and the difference was $20 between the 8570 with the Wraith and the 8370 with the old style cooler.

Just swapped out the Wraith for a Phanteks PH-TC12DX 120mm. Temps with Wraith were 29C @ idle, 36C while surfing, 50C after an hour of gaming. Temps with Phanteks are 16C @ idle, 25C while surfing, 40C after an hour of gaming. CPU now @ 5000 MHz on air :). The wraith is nice for oem and will go on my benching station backup rig.

Last edited:
That's a great overclock on air if it's truly stable. Will it pass 2 hr. of Prime95 blend?

I'm sorry i have to ask, 5ghz on air ? what's your Prime95 temps, blend and small FFT :D

I've been wanting to try a wraith on my 8350. Stock cooler is as loud as a turbine engine and the aftermarket one I'm using is quiet, but fails to impress in utterly every way.

So AMD will sell a wraith OEM? Where can I get one?

Unfortunately as of now it is only available as a boxed deal, wraith with 8370 cpu is $179 at newegg

Using Dynatron 2U A27G heat sink right now. Specs Here

Has a really nice large copper base and high power fan. 2 bearing 7000rpms.

Going to make a nice little DICE POT out of this one because of the large base and easy mounting. Probably fit 2"-2.5" round copper pipe on this bad boy, might even work decent with LN2.

I've found through time and all kinds of different cooling methods that the thicker or more mass the base of a heat sink has, the better it seems to cool. I suppose the reason behind this is because while there is plenty of copper to absorb heat, it takes a longer period of time for this mass to be heated up. In return it also take a little more time to cool, but the properties of copper is pretty good.

I would say this U2 server heat sink gives the Wraith cooler a good run for it's moneys if not slightly better being built for a higher heat tolerance that Opteron processors can output.

A pic.

s-l400.jpg

Using Dynatron 2U A27G heat sink right now. Specs Here

Has a really nice large copper base and high power fan. 2 bearing 7000rpms.

Going to make a nice little DICE POT out of this one because of the large base and easy mounting. Probably fit 2"-2.5" round copper pipe on this bad boy, might even work decent with LN2.

I've found through time and all kinds of different cooling methods that the thicker or more mass the base of a heat sink has, the better it seems to cool. I suppose the reason behind this is because while there is plenty of copper to absorb heat, it takes a longer period of time for this mass to be heated up. In return it also take a little more time to cool, but the properties of copper is pretty good.

I would say this U2 server heat sink gives the Wraith cooler a good run for it's moneys if not slightly better being built for a higher heat tolerance that Opteron processors can output.

A pic.

View attachment 176585

You probably could passively cool a lot of cpu's with that monster. I bet it weighs a ton.

You probably could passively cool a lot of cpu's with that monster. I bet it weighs a ton.
IKR...I mean, jesus, look at that thing. If nothing else I bet I could use it as a counterweight in my car's engine block.

You gotta be happy with that.

Yes sir Mr. Scott....very happy! I'm looking at memory now and wanted your advice. I found a G-Skill Trident X , 2x8gb set that has timings of 8-9-9-24 @ 1866mhz and I'm thinking this will be a nice improvement over the Sniper set that I currently have, 9-11-11-29 @ 2133mhz. Your thoughts?

Back