• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k overclocking with strix z370e - need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spidergoat

Hello everyone,

First post! I'm in need of some help and would appreciate any help. Im having some difficulties with overclocking. Issues with temps. Sorry if I don't have all the information in front of me at the moment to help diagnose the problem. (on phone not at the pc)
At stock settings im getting around 70degrees on prime. full heat setting which is alright I suppose. Temps are very stable. Will float around 5 degrees give or take.
Now when I try to oc. I think I went as low as 1.3volts. The temps are higher. Big spikes. 60to73 or something. 80ish. quite eratic.
Is there a particular setting in the bios that can cause this by turning or not turning on?

I have a custom loop. gtx1080ti. d5 pump. x2 240 rads. 1080ti sits around at 55 degrees playing games. So much cooler than on air. was getting up to 80+
30mm rads. silent wings 3 fans. ambient is like 22 degrees. I don't feel that this is a hardware issue. it's a bios setting. when I try to oc. the temps on all cores are erratic..up and down 20degrees.

the settings i have tweaked on the Strix 370-e are:

AI OVERCLOCK TUNER - XMP MODE

DISABLED ASUS MULTICORE ENHANCEMENT

CPU CORE RATIO
SYNC ALL CORES AT 5GHZ

PERFORMANCE MODE ENABLED

SVID SUPPORT DISABLED

CPU LOAD LINE CALIBRATION AT LEVEL 6

CORE VOLTAGE SET AT 1.3V

Getting higher temps no doubt but it's so erratic on all cores. on stock. settings temps are very stable. Any additional help would be appreciated :)
I have also reseated the block and reapplied thermal paste. it's on secure.

https://ibb.co/bxjM9o

stock settings

https://ibb.co/feadpo

Overclocked

Judging by that core temp shot you might be throttling. P95 is a very demanding test and it appears that some cores are dropping their speed to me which would explain the erratic temps. I would suggest a couple things. Use HWinfo 64 to watch the temps/volts. You'll be able to see any cores dropping speeds a lot easier. Also start your OC the proper way. Setiing 5.0 GHz and plugging in a voltage is not the way to do it. start at 4.5 GHz with 1.25V and work your way up testing as you go along.

Please directly attach your pics with your posts rather than linking them. There is a built-in forum tool for doing this. You can access it by clicking on "Go Advanced" in the lower right corner of any new post window. Please crop them first so as to remove any unnecessary screen real estate.

With those high temp on the CPU I wonder if the water block is making good contact.

XTU stability test probably still bases on Prime95. I wasn't checking that recently but for sure is using AVX.

Yeah I rekon its throttling. What's the next step if that's the case? I have reseated this block reapplied thermal paste. it's on good. I was also getting high temps with a h100i v2. I think it's just a warm running chip. Thankyou for all your help

2018-06-27 (4).png

Yeah im getting some thermal throttling. Apologies but I'm pretty new to it all. If anyone can give me some tips/pointers to go from here it would be appreciated.... I was at 1.25volts in bios with the photo. started off with stress test in xtu then opened up prime.

I think cpu lol. sorry. It said thermal throttling in the right corner. One of the cores drops temps to like 60 degrees in coretemp and drops to like 15% usage.

Well if it is your CPU that is throttling then you need to keep the temperature under 100c, I try for 95c. Things you can do is check your cooling, reduce Vcore also clock speed.

Its not even getting to 100degrees. It gets to max 89C on only one of the cores. Sorry I dont use the program very often. So the thermal throttling heading..that tells me that the cpu is overheating?? Im only at like 1.25volts. Rekon I have a hot chip? I swear the phanteks block is on good too. Really dont wanna drain the loop again lol

2018-06-27 (5).png

Thanks anyway mate. Ive uploaded a photo with just idle temps. it likes to jump around abit. Like 30to50degree spikes. Anyone else got any ideas?

So......raising the power limit didn't change anything?

Testing it out now

- - - Updated - - -

Is there something Im doing wrong? 85degrees at like 1.25 volts aint good on full water custom loop haha. Got similar results with the h100i. gpu just cruises along cool as **** haha

It crashed haha. It actually just turned off cold. I turned the fans off and it crept up past 92 but it didn't throttle. It crashed lol but didnt do what it was doing before. So more volts or ? I gota ask do you rekon the floating temps is normal?

So confused..... it did thermally throttle.....it didn't??????????

If it turned off cold or crashed, that may be a VRM or power issue. What power supply is feeding this machine?

Sorry. It didnt throttle. it just turned off. I have a 850w seasonic m12II bronze. Im equally confused

Last edited:
Back