• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 seies Memory upgrade......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AC3421

Disabled
When are they going to give the 8800 GDDR4 memory?? Some current gen ATi cards already have it, why the hell hasn't nVidia implemented it yet on any of there cards? When is the 8800 going to get it, because I'm wondering if I should just get a 8800 GTS now or wait for the GDDR4 version, I just don't know how long till then.

AC3421 said:
When are they going to give the 8800 GDDR4 memory?? Some current gen ATi cards already have it, why the hell hasn't nVidia implemented it yet on any of there cards? When is the 8800 going to get it, because I'm wondering if I should just get a 8800 GTS now or wait for the GDDR4 version, I just don't know how long till then.

I would say that the 8800 series will never get a memory upgrade. They would most likely save this move for the g81 cores. Also gddr4 memory is far more expensive then gddr3. Also if they do have an upgrade it most likely would only be to the very top of the line card sort of like the 512mb 7800gtx that came out before the 7900 series hit. Note that this is just my opinion on the matter though.

also you realize the ATI cards with 2ghz gddr4 have a less bit rating than the gddr3 @ 1.8ghz.... i actually think the g80's at stock have more available bandwidth than the ati cards... its not all about clock speed its about how you use it. and i think the normal 2ghz oc ppl are gettin on their gts's and gtx's on the memory is WAY more than enough bandwidth for the card.

I honestly wouldnt expect to see it on current 8800s or newer revisions. This is something we might see on 8900 series, but of couse thats pure speculation. As someone else stated, IF they put it on an 8800 card I would only expect to see it on a top of the line special edition card. I would never expect to see it on the GTS lineup.

I remember reading an article with an Nvidia marketing guy or something like that and he said that all 8 series cards will be getting a memory upgrade, and that GDDR4 was planned from the beggining for it but thety ran into some last minute problems. I wasnt asking IF its going to, I was asking WHEN, because I read that article, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Also, I dont see why they wouldnt give the GTS the upgrade as well, its a very high end card and can reach GTX levels easily.

I just simply wouldnt expect to see it in the 8800 series cards. There are far too many people that bought the early 8800's. Throwing DDR4 onto them would probably **** a lot of people off if it were priced within a reasonable point near the original cards. People would assume that should have come all along. But... you can simply rename it to 8900 with a gpu speed upgrade and a hell of a lot more people would call "fair game".

Its all marketing.

Back