• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 Ultra at newegg....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130090

This thing is $830. My jaw dropped quite a bit seeing that. Is anyone actually going to buy this card? The GTX looks like a steal next to this thing. I know some people like to have the best..... but over $800 for one card?!?! Not to mention anyone looking to buy this card will most definitely be considering SLI. Cheers to anyone that can afford it (or 2). I'm jelous :beer:

Wow. Thats a lot for a video card. They could have at least put a gig of memory in it for that price. As Burninate said cheers to anyone who can afford one or even two of these. I am also jealous.

I just remembered. Wasn't ATI and Nvidia under investigation a year or so ago for price fixing and driving up prices? If so, do we need any more evidence than this?

This is even more ridiculous than the 7800gtx 512... that one offered at least 20% performance increase compared to the 256mb version (and the extra memory of course), and last but no least, it had an MSRP of $650.

dan

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ( you get the idea ) thats nuts i cant see where its really worth it to me...but im the guy on a budget so 200.00 for a vid card is a lil steep for me.. lol

edit: ... this is one of them things where evga's " step up " program will bit you in the a$$ if you ask me.. i mean come on.. what else are they going to drop in 90 days thats bigger and better then this.. to me.. wasted cash but.. noone asked me.. either lol

I was betting on an 8900GTX, but the step-up has failed me. There's no way I'm shelling out an extra $300 from the 8800GTX for this Ultra model for no performance increase. My GTX already runs well at 690 / 1100.

Running those in SLI would cost the same as my entire computer with an 8800 GTS (640mb)... lol

aaronjb said:
I was betting on an 8900GTX, but the step-up has failed me. There's no way I'm shelling out an extra $300 from the 8800GTX for this Ultra model for no performance increase. My GTX already runs well at 690 / 1100.

Yesh but your card is VJ'ed not stock on air.

I may have two 8800 Ultra's coming in from one of my commercial customers next week. I am willing
to bet they mod out no better than a good 8800GTX with Samsungs (if they show up at all lol).

Viper

hmm not as bad as I thought it would be. Still not worth it but at least its not 1K @ launch.

it is a waste of money both cards topped out on ln2 were within 500 points of each other in 05 almost 30k

good gtx on air is 675/2200 these do 700/2500

im just waiting for ATi's offerings to drive the prices down across the board, then i'll jump in and buy a good bang for buck deal from either ATi or nVidia. I welcome the 8800 Ultra as a means to prompt a slight price drop in the GTX

ViperJohn said:
Yesh but your card is VJ'ed not stock on air.
I'm using your block, sinks and fans, but it has no voltmods. I guess that's VJ'ed enough for me. :beer:

Loving the work you did in converting that CPU block, btw. I have the coldplate here as well, and I may go TEC soon. I'm just unsure how much insulating I'll have to do.

wow thats a crazy price tag.... now see what needs to happen is prices need to drop to where the 8800gts 640mb is like 200 bucks, and then simultaneously nvidia needs to change their drivers to allow SLI on intel chipsets.... then i would be stylin.

Back