• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800ultra 109c temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
especially if nvidia plans on releasing something new in November that could possibly be faster)

I don't understand why you and so many others still have these delusions of grandeur that Nvidia has something smoking hot right around the corner. It's still so far away that everyone will have finished crysis and be yawning waiting for what's next by the time nvidia does release something faster than the GTX/ultras. The GTX's are still selling like hotcakes and will only increase when crysis is released.

And the step up program is a joke...especially since yours will be null and void by the time the GTX/Ultra's sucessor is released.

I've had nothing but good experiences with MSI. I've used 2 of their motherboards with great enjoyment and 3 of their video cards between my 2 other brothers and my brother in law. They all own or have owned high dollar video cards and none of them have had problems.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you and so many others still have these delusions of grandeur that Nvidia has something smoking hot right around the corner. It's still so far away that everyone will have finished crysis and be yawning waiting for what's next by the time nvidia does release something faster than the GTX/ultras. The GTX's are still selling like hotcakes and will only increase when crysis is released.

A Man to that! Ive been saying that for months now. But people are too delusional to use common sense and listen.

November isn't that far away and from what we have seen so far nvidia and ati do have some good cards coming out.

They are all intermediate range models. NV's next gen top end card is scheduled for late in the 2nd quarter
of 2008. NV just doesn't need anything sooner. They can barely keep up with the demand for what they are
producing now and they are making a ton on what they are.

Viper

They are all intermediate range models. NV's next gen top end card is scheduled for late in the 2nd quarter
of 2008. NV just doesn't need anything sooner. They can barely keep up with the demand for what they are
producing now and they are making a ton on what they are.

Viper

+1

Still, evga does make higher quality products. I've had 2 MSI motherboards crash on me, but the 7800 and 7900 I used were fine from evga. Stick with what's tried and true.

Still, evga does make higher quality products. I've had 2 MSI motherboards crash on me, but the 7800 and 7900 I used were fine from evga. Stick with what's tried and true.

eVGA doesn't make their cards. Neither does BFG, XFX, MSI, etc. Flextronics builds all of the 8800's
and they all go down the same stuffing lines at the same time. The OEM's just buy the bulk cards from FT.

Viper

yup. the different companies just put their logo or heatsink cover on it to make it "theirs".

As far as overclocking, correct me if I'm wrong VJ but aren't the invidual companies the ones who take the referrence boards and modify the bios to get their own versions of factory overclocked cards?

Anyhow, I've had a bfg card and a pair of evga 7600gt's crap out on me so no company makes perfect cards.

yup. the different companies just put their logo or heatsink cover on it to make it "theirs".

As far as overclocking, correct me if I'm wrong VJ but aren't the invidual companies the ones who take the referrence boards and modify the bios to get their own versions of factory overclocked cards?

Anyhow, I've had a bfg card and a pair of evga 7600gt's crap out on me so no company makes perfect cards.

8800's can be flashed with the OEM spec bios (after final test) and stuffed into OEM branded boxes
by FT or the OEM can do it themselves. Just depends on the OEM's system.

Some OEM's like BFG for example buy the cards from in bulk from FT then test them to cull out the
cards that can run a 675 ROP for their very top model. A completed card speed bin so to speak by
the OEM.

Viper

Well, I got an MSI 8800 Ultra OC today because I didn't want to wait for the 8800 Ultra to be back in stock (which it now is) anyway, it was much cheaper regardless. I was hypocritical, but oh well.

This one idles in the low 60's and the load is a steady 75-78c depending on how long I play. Much better, much more reasonable, I knew something was wrong with that last card.

Anyway, I will be applying the HR-03 Plus sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I got an MSI 8800 Ultra OC today because I didn't want to wait for the 8800 Ultra to be back in stock (which it now is) anyway, it was much cheaper regardless. I was hypocritical, but oh well.

This one idles in the low 60's and the load is a steady 75-78c depending on how long I play. Much better, much more reasonable, I knew something was wrong with that last card.

Good to hear, be sure to show some benching numbers.

I have a feeling the first cards cooler had no juice one or more of the heatpipes.

Viper

How often would that happen? If its what really was wrong its the first time I've seen something of that sorts.

Have no idea but it is probably very rare. I am just just speculating on the bad pipe but it is logical. If the
card had run as hot in factory test as it did when Vixro tired in it would have been rejected so the juice in
the pipe(s) probably leaked out after it was factory tested and before Vixro got it.

Considering the number of cards made/sold versus the number card we here about in the forums (probably
25,000 to 1) it is no surprise you haven't seen anything about it. No mass production manufacturing process
turns out 100% perfect parts all the time and no amount of inspection/test, which is becoming more and
more limited with anything computer rated due to cost, will catch all of the bad parts that do come off a line.
Some will always slip through to the end. The number may be extremely small but they will exist and be
used to the end users ultimate chagrin. That is why we have warranties.

Viper

Well, the HR-03 does do its job in pulling away the heat from the GPU onto the heatsink.

The problem now is managing all the extra hot air so that it goes somewhere. Unforunately my setup doesn't like the HR-03 and the low temp slowly gets hotter with no end in site. Luckily this new card is much better than the old one, but now I still have to manage my heat better. :) I have a thread going in the cooling section if anyone wants to help.

Right now the HR-03 does a great job of keeping the GPU at a solid 48c idle temperatures and 55c load temperature. Nice! (When I have the side off of course. :p)

Once I have my airflow better managed, I will do some OCing and see how far this card can go with the extra cooling.

I found the stock armour/kandalf cases to be VERY SUBPAR in ventilation and air movement, unless you mod them. I highly doubt you'll want to set your armor up like mine but I beat the 900 I had before this after I stripped it.

Do you have an armor ? why do I think you have an armor ?

Have no idea but it is probably very rare. I am just just speculating on the bad pipe but it is logical. If the
card had run as hot in factory test as it did when Vixro tired in it would have been rejected so the juice in
the pipe(s) probably leaked out after it was factory tested and before Vixro got it.

Considering the number of cards made/sold versus the number card we here about in the forums (probably
25,000 to 1) it is no surprise you haven't seen anything about it. No mass production manufacturing process
turns out 100% perfect parts all the time and no amount of inspection/test, which is becoming more and
more limited with anything computer rated due to cost, will catch all of the bad parts that do come off a line.
Some will always slip through to the end. The number may be extremely small but they will exist and be
used to the end users ultimate chagrin. That is why we have warranties.

Viper

I had this happen to BOTH of my XFX 8800Ultras. Suckers would load at like 96C. After I slapped some water on them they load at like 47C

Back