• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800ultra 109c temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
id try remounting but use MX-2 as its slightly better and it also isnt conductive which always worries me with video cards.

That is mighty hot there. You're boilin' water and are getting very close to the thermal ceiling. Until this is fixed I wouldn't do any gaming. Let us know if re-seating and applying the paste helps. If all else fails then maybe returning it or adding an aftermarket cooler is in order.

Step 1, organize those cables!

Step 2, pull it away from the wall. The hot air being blown out has to have somehwere to go that's away from the air outlet. Blocking the air from getting away from the hot air port on the card hurts air flow which promotes higher temperatures.

step 3 possibly would be what I'm planning on doing and that's lifting the case up off the ground using bricks or something like that and cutting a hole for a fan to go in the case on the botom to pull in cool air from below and blow it at the fan inlet on the card's HSF. That sound card could get in the way but you could always try and create some sort of 45* angle air tunnel to blow the air at an angle to the HSF.

Ok, I reorganized the cables. It's hard to see in a direct picture but now I have ventilation going through the cables and most of the cables are against the "bottom" or back of the case so that they are out of the way, you just can't see it in the picture very well.

I also tried some reorganization along with the new paste. I noticed "almost" no change in core temperature, but it was a bit more stable instead of just being very hot. I will have to actually give it a couple hours to settle before having a true reading but at default fan speed (with the side on) I was seeing similar temps to those that I had with the side off. This is about a 10-15c reduction from yesterday when I had the side on at idle.

I also moved down the card to the bottom PCI slot, moved up the sound card to the top slot, added a spotcool fan (that I had leftover from when I tested active RAM cooling) to redirect the front intake air directly into the video card.

I am not sure how useful this method will be since my clearance to the bottom of the case now isn't as good as it was before, but at least my sound card is not taking a beating now.

I will have to try a little gaming later and see if I can't get some decent "average" load temperatures.

Here are some pictures, the paste they had on originally was almost like a Gel like clay. It came off with a paper towel pretty much and didn't leave any residue. I cleaned it up with the arctic cleaning kit and put on AS5 (all that I had left, which I used the rest of) and sealed it all up.

IMG_0876-vi.jpg

IMG_0877-vi.jpg

IMG_0878-vi.jpg

IMG_0879-vi.jpg

IMG_0880-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried seeing what the temp is in the Nvidia driver settings instead of Riva tuner?

mmm sexy a3

so did the original TIM have even coverage on the sinc and IHS ?

I hope this corrects it for you I hate it when there's issues.

the temp in the driver is worth a shot but I have never seen a different temp in the driver than riva on any of the cards I have ever had, 6600gt, 6800gt (2), 6800gs, 7800gt, 7800gtx (2), 8800gtx (2), 8800gts (2)

I am running in x4 link bandwidth now according to CPU-z and I have 15fps in Guild Wars.

This is because I have it in the second PCI slot and the first one is empty. Any idea how to get it to run on the full x16 or am I forced to have it in that first slot when not running SLI?

Yea you are right, I just looked into it and even when you're in SLi mode the bottom PCI-e port operates at 4x and the top operates at 16x. This is stupid because the manual even says that they are both x16 and nowhere does it say that the second slot is x4 mode.

Damn, I had some good air flow with that type of setup too, I don't want to screw my sound card over. :(

ntune reports the same temperatures as riva tuner, just checked.

Last edited:
Not really(eVGa = Awesome)
Yup, you are correct. I had a waterblock on my videocard and they don't care ;)

I believe it even says in the warranty that you can use an aftermarket heatsink.

I didn't even remove the sticker that said "void if removed" even though there was a screw under it that I took out....

All that extra heat the card was creating (on the pcb, the heatsink, and everywhere around it) made the sticker come off without tearing pretty easily. :p

I'm not exactly happy with the results, although, they aren't terrible. It's just very very hot! I'm going to try some 3d now after the new paste and see what I can come up with on load temps.

Looking at about 85c now with the side on and 3d apping. Much better than over 100 but still way too hot for no overclock and reseated with AS5. I just may have to RMA, bahhhh.

As tiem goes on, the ambient goes up because it's just cylcing it's own heat and then the GPU temp goes up. I'm at 87c now..

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's just poor design of the cooler not managing the heat correctly. I put a 1200cm fan blowing directly on the ambient heat area out the back pushing major air through it and now Im looking at 70c load temps steady and 49c ambient.

I don't think the heatsink is too bad or the paste was on wrong, I just think that the cooler has too much venting in it instead of getting rid of the latent heat. Slowly gets hotter and hotter heating itself instead of just pushing out the air like it should. Guess I'm going to have to shell out some cash for a new cooler that isn't trash and find a way to place my spot cool to be more efficient.

Temps still seem a bit high for the massive amount of currernt airflow it's getting though, you think I would be better off RMAing it first before purchasing aftermarket cooling?

Yup, you are correct. I had a waterblock on my videocard and they don't care ;)
I believe it even says in the warranty that you can use an aftermarket heatsink.
Holy crap, that's sweet... I guess I'm going EVGA next nVidia card.
I usually went LeadTek or BFG because I can get them for cheap... but I can't all the time so what the hell. :beer:

If you don't see a drop in temps after reseating, you might want to RMA, the heatsink may be a dud if the heatpipes are empty.

Alright, here's what I noticed after 4 hours of having a huge fan blow on the video card. The back of the computer is no longer hot, the heatsink is not hot to the touch, the back of the computer is not warm or hot, the sound card is warm instead of burning to the touch, but my temperatures are STILL at 73-75c (long term usage) with 100% fan speed and my huge fan blowong on it.

I think this pretty much desides that something is wrong with the hardware cooling becuase the heat is just not being dispersed correctly at all.

I also have minor artifacting on models within Guild Wars. As a character or NPC or enemy is coming towards me, their body has lots of white dots over it that change positions very quickly.

here is a small example:

dots-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, here's what I noticed after 4 hours of having a huge fan blow on the video card. The back of the computer is no longer hot, the heatsink is not hot to the touch, the back of the computer is not warm or hot, the sound card is warm instead of burning to the touch, but my temperatures are STILL at 73-75c (long term usage) with 100% fan speed and my huge fan blowong on it.

I think this pretty much desides that something is wrong with the hardware cooling becuase the heat is just not being dispersed correctly at all.

I also have minor artifacting on models within Guild Wars. As a character or NPC or enemy is coming towards me, their body has lots of white dots over it that change positions very quickly.

here is a small example:

dots-vi.jpg

My little brother has the exact same problem with his vid card. He has a 7300GT that he plays WoW on all day and night. The screen has gotten so bad, yet he doesn't want to send back his vid card because he doesn't want the down time...

Back