• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90 degree 24 pin connectors? Why aren't they a standard thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

These days, routing from the back is all the rage. So when we have to bend a wire 180 degrees, it makes me wonder why they haven't 1: had 90 degree mounted cables or 2: The connector on the BACK of the mobo.

The second is more understandable, in that the case would need to support the connector in that location, but there is almost nothing stopping a 90 degree bend on pinouts, they already do it with sata connectors.

Same with CPU 8 pin, Why no 90 degree bends? Would make wire management a lot prettier.

Good point, but look how long it took case manufacturers to make cable management a "thing". I just picked up a cheap DIY PC case for a project and there is no room behind the mobo tray for cable management. (No window, so why bother?) A 90 degree on the board and the ATX cable would be a great step forward, but at the rate the custom PC market is dropping off I'd be surprised if there were any more universally adopted changes. :(

Many cheaper computer cases have no room at all for routing cables on the backside. All have room on the topside.

Thanks, torin3. Good resources.

Many cheaper computer cases have no room at all for routing cables on the backside. All have room on the topside.

Thanks, torin3. Good resources.

This wold be why.

But picmg systems often have 90 degree 24 pin and CPU8pin and 4 pin connectors
View attachment 198517

I have seen 90 degree connectors ends you can put on you power cables. Mod diy sells them and I recall seeing them on performance pcs too.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Pre...}EPS-Motherboard-Angle-Connector-Adapter.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get those 90 degree 24 pin adapters on ebay for under $5. Coming from China so if you're not in a hurry, a pretty inexpensive mod. I just ordered a couple of them.

Last edited:
Interesting ideas here... if there is a connector that needs it more, it would be the USB 3.0 connectors. They make some funky loops in every system... I don't tend to have a problem with the power ones myself, especially if you use after market extensions, they bend pretty well anyway.

They make 90 degree adapters for USB as well. I've got several. I have used them on laptops to make Wifi adapters go up and not so far out. That way the laptop fits between the arms of my easy chair!

I guess this answers the OP's question.
if there is a connector that needs it more, it would be the USB 3.0 connectors
Agreed. It's a fairly thick/stiff cable and some cases don't make it very long. They tend to look like an afterthought after assembly.

They make 90 degree adapters for USB as well. I've got several. I have used them on laptops to make Wifi adapters go up and not so far out. That way the laptop fits between the arms of my easy chair!
If you have a laptop that required a USB Wi-Fi adapter..........seems like a new laptop is in order. I honestly cannot think of a remotely modern laptop that wouldn't have integrated Wi-Fi (or if it died......).

And that is the situation as a matter of fact. Laptops that the Wifi has died or poor drivers that made the connection unstable. Or, no 5 ghz band.

If you have a laptop that required a USB Wi-Fi adapter..........seems like a new laptop is in order. I honestly cannot think of a remotely modern laptop that wouldn't have integrated Wi-Fi (or if it died......).

Most larger laptops have a mini PCIE wifi card. I seen quite a few with them missing. For the normal end user if they buy a second hand laptop with a missing wifi card a usb wifi stick makes more since then opening up the laptop to install the missing wifi card.
But yes if that laptop never had wifi from the beginning its probably rather old or was a government issued laptop. Many government workplaces don't allow wifi and once they get sent to the recyclers they sometimes get sold off without a wifi card.

Last edited:
Back