• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

960T thermal throttling at 35*C core temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I think that I have a bad core, either #5 or #6. I bought an x4, so I'm not complaining. In stead of running it as an x6, I decided to take it back to an x4 and overclock. I got it to 4GHz (20x CPU multi @ 1.425v, 13x CPU-NB @1.25v) stable (with very little issue), and ran a wPrime 32m bench real quick to see if there were any problems, and there was none. So I started up Prime95 and let it warm up for a little while. After about 10 minutes or so, I was watching temps and the CPU tab in CPU-Z, when out of the blue, my multiplier went to x9. My CPU socket temp was at 55*C, and core temp was 35*C. I thought that throttling was connected to the core temps?

So, I knocked it back to 3.8GHz (19x CPU multi @1.35v, CPU-NB multi and voltage @ auto), and it again was stable, but when I ran P95, about a half hour in it started to throttle again. This time it was at 53*C on the socket and 35*C on the core. So I guess I found the heat wall? I thought throttling didn't happen until around 55*C at the core?

So I probably exceeded my max TDP? I know I've seen pictures of HWmonitor on the 960T where their core temps were hotter than 35*, so I'm guessing it's got to be either my cooler or mobo?

Do you have the "green" stuff turned off in bios (Cool N Quiet, C1E and Turbo). Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Power.

Also, check the PC Health section (generally found there where temps and fan speeds, etc. are located). If there is some kind of thermal down-throttling in bios that keys off the motherboard temp sensors and it may need adjusting.

Last edited:
Yep, all the green stuff is off, and Windows is in high performance mode. I couldn't find anything for the throttling in bios.

Back