• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9900k high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeonCancerCandy

so i just got my 9900k today and i'm getting really high temps for no reason that i can tell.

72*f ambiant room temp

idle temp: 38-40*c
load temp: 95*c (cinebench r20)

here's the kicker, thats at 1.188v and 4.5ghz all core
when i had it up to 5.0 @ 1.38v i was sitting at 70*c idle temps before i noticed

i'm using artic silver 5 TIM (but does TIM have a shelf life? this TIM is probably 5 years old) (i did re-apply the TIM twice without any difference in temp)
and an h100i v2

Last edited:
72*c ambiant room temp

Get out that room before you die :p

On a serious note, I don't think silver 5 is considered good a good TIM anymore and I certainly wouldn't trust a 5 year old batch. Especially if it was opened a long time ago.

Is the the h100i new?

Get out that room before you die :p

On a serious note, I don't think silver 5 is considered good a good TIM anymore and I certainly wouldn't trust a 5 year old batch. Especially if it was opened a long time ago.

Is the the h100i new?

LOL edited that.

the h100i v2 is about 2 years old. it seemed to work find on my 6700k i had it on before this though.

silver 5 isn't good anymore? =O oh lord...

what would you say i should use ?

AS5 is "ok" Though it used to be great. I thought 9900K was like one of the hottest chips created? It is summer, so that doesn't help.

Thermalright, Thermal Grizzly make awesome TIMS, to name a couple. I am using Thermalright TF8 right now, its pretty good. Probably the best I've used so far. But my experience is limited.

AS5 is "ok" Though it used to be great. I thought 9900K was like one of the hottest chips created? It is summer, so that doesn't help.

Thermalright, Thermal Grizzly make awesome TIMS, to name a couple. I am using Thermalright TF8 right now, its pretty good. Probably the best I've used so far. But my experience is limited.

i have air conditioning so it being summer doesnt matter much.
googling the issue, as far as i can tell, most people are doing find with a h100i even up to 5ghz

thanks for the info on TIM, i'll look into them!

i have air conditioning so it being summer doesnt matter much.
googling the issue, as far as i can tell, most people are doing find with a h100i even up to 5ghz

thanks for the info on TIM, i'll look into them!

In addition to liquid metal is delid an option for you ?

idk if i'd feel comfortable doing a delid =/

i decided to buy a new h100i and better TIM. if that doesnt fix it, i'll look into delidding

The 9900K has the IHS soldered to the die, delidding isn't impossible but I wouldn't recommend it.
Have you tried running with the side off or putting a fan on the VRM. Is that a z370 board?

The 9900K has the IHS soldered to the die, delidding isn't impossible but I wouldn't recommend it.
Have you tried running with the side off or putting a fan on the VRM. Is that a z370 board?

z390 board

side off doesnt seem to matter

turning avx offset from auto to 2 lowered the temps about 5*

still too high for comfort. dont want to push it any more until i replace the cooler honestly

To be honest I don't know if the thermal compound that you apply to the cooler is a big deal. The difference between a liquid metal paste and something like MX-4 or NT-H1 would only take you so far, from what I gathered we're talking 5-8c tops (I could be wrong). I also don't think your H100i is the problem, unless it's faulty. I think it's more related to the power delivery of the motherboard. The Z370 Ultra Gaming V2 were pretty bad for overclocking (see this for example:
).
Start with buying a new TIM. Search for more typical temperatures for this processor, and see how people do with this motherboard.

Not to be that guy, but when you applied your TIM you only used a pea sized dot correct? Also I would double check if your pump is working on the h100i. My old one died and was giving high temps at idle and under load. Do you have an air cooler you can try or see if running at stock speeds also gives high idle temps?

These are always giving people problems with high temps. Might just be that you got a particularly hot sample. Can you check to see if it is throttling at all. If it is throttling at stock settings then possibly pursue an RMA, if the new cooler doesn't help. I'm in the camp of not de-liding soldered IHS. You usually only gain a few degrees C.

These are always giving people problems with high temps. Might just be that you got a particularly hot sample. Can you check to see if it is throttling at all. If it is throttling at stock settings then possibly pursue an RMA, if the new cooler doesn't help. I'm in the camp of not de-liding soldered IHS. You usually only gain a few degrees C.

it throttles above 1.188v (tried 4.6ghz at 2.05 was hitting 100*)
not sure what stock voltage is honestly

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Not to be that guy, but when you applied your TIM you only used a pea sized dot correct? Also I would double check if your pump is working on the h100i. My old one died and was giving high temps at idle and under load. Do you have an air cooler you can try or see if running at stock speeds also gives high idle temps?

pump says it's working in corsair link, though it doesnt really make noise that i can tell (but it never has even in performance mode)
and yeah i've applied TIM enough times to know how much to use =P

i dont have another cooler atm sadly

pump says it's working in corsair link, though it doesnt really make noise that i can tell (but it never has even in performance mode)

If you touch the pump block can you feel a small vibration? if not means you got a dead pump. Also what are the temps if you clear CMOS, load optimized defaults then watch the temps from your bios?

If you touch the pump block can you feel a small vibration? if not means you got a dead pump. Also what are the temps if you clear CMOS, load optimized defaults then watch the temps from your bios?

yeah very light vibration

i re-applied the TIM using a bit less than i normally do and temps went down 10* under load. (85*c) >_> oops.
i still say that's a bit hot for 1.188v @ 4.5ghz lol

As most suggested , i would go
1) liquid metal
then
2) better cooling
then , if you still need some more overclock . i would go extreme
3) Delid to get the last few degree . this can be even more in some case people reported 10c or so . NOTE : This come at the price of lost warranty

Back