• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A/C Basics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MarkS said:
it does not have the starter capacitor on it.

Does it function?
And I have heard of people making a Passive heatsink for Iwaki's but from my understanding they dont run hot enough to need active cooling (a fan right on it)

greenmaji said:
Does it function?
And I have heard of people making a Passive heatsink for Iwaki's but from my understanding they dont run hot enough to need active cooling (a fan right on it)

Yep. It works fine. Mine runs pretty hot. My main concern was quieting the pump. Cooling is secondary.

iwakis just run wicked hot, it doesn't really matter. when you're using them for the chiller they will cool down because the heat will be absorbed into the loop. the only way to defeat this would be trying to chill the casing (ambient temps wont help when the coolant is -30c) but it's a huge waste of effort IMO and making dual evap units is not easy.

Ah, never noticed those. Fan indeed.

Well I had an MD20 on a chiller and I have to say two things. One the impeller housing was frosty, but the back was still over 30C.

You can replace the fan with a quieter one. I have tried putting many little ramsinks on the pump housing with AC ceramic (I think thats the permanent one) and blow air on the with some 120mm yate loons and that worked great, need to buy or fab alot of them but its well worth it. Covered the whole body with them, looks like a porqupine now.

Back