• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A+ Certification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudpark41

I want to get a job over the summer at a "Mom and Pop's" Computer Store or at Best Buy. I think having A+ Cert would help. I think I can pass the test right now but I would like to mabye see a older test if possible or just get my hands on some materials to study from or somthing. I took the practice questions on CompTIA's website and got 2 wrong in each section.

Anyone know where I can get some e-books to help with the A+ Test or where I can get a Older Test online? Or what do you suggest I do in order to insure my passing grade on the A+ test. I am only 17 years old btw If that makes any difference.

If you pay shipping(3$) I could lend you my CD that came in my study book. it has practice tests for the 2 different test cores and i found it helped. tells you how many you got wrong in each section and is timed.

useless or not, some company requires A+ for PC technician. Check out certkiller.com for a 100% guaranteed pass test question examples.

Mr_Fuchs said:
A+ certification is useless unless you finished college.

If is also useless before you are in college, and after college.

The certification is only a test which proves your knowledge of computer hardware and software, and if you know enough to pass the test you know enough to fix computers that have not been overclocked or tempered with in any way other then the manufacturer intended. If I was to trust my PC on the hands of someone I don't know I would rather leave it with someone that has proof of experience rather then someone who has just told me that he knows computers. The test in most parts won't include anything new like pci-express or much about the current CPU technology, but it will test some things you need to know in order to help a customer, like how many USB devices can be plugged into a single usb port, it will also ask you about IRQ and Addresses. I bought A+ plus for dummies and I would not recommend it as it had a couple of mistakes but the CD that came with had test with questions for a real A+ test. Just so you know you don't have to take both parts of the test at once, you still have to pay even if you don't pass and make sure you know what you need to know otherwise your just wasting money. I took it last January, I took the test on the CD until I knew the answer to every single question, went back and read parts of the book over and over again until I had memorized it.

Good luck

A+ certification is useless unless you finished college.

Not true.

I have gotten 100s of freelance jobs with A+ as my only credential. Plus, bestbuy was ready to hire me on the spot when I told them I had A+.

Of course, it wont get you a IT admin job- thats not what its for.

Im not done with college yet, and Im not even studying computers.

nealric said:
Not true.

I have gotten 100s of freelance jobs with A+ as my only credential. Plus, bestbuy was ready to hire me on the spot when I told them I had A+.

Of course, it wont get you a IT admin job- thats not what its for.

Im not done with college yet, and Im not even studying computers.

And the test pays for it self, places like compusa and bestbuy won't hire someone without the A+ certification, and as long as your able to get a job just because of the test, it makes it worth it.

But mudpark41 is, and your just speculating about the computer market around here, and if where you live doesn't have a market for computer repair then there probably won't be a testing site around.

A+ is like the first cert to get when starting out it provides a broad foundation. The knowledge gained is hardly useless. I'd say its worth every penny. If you google for vouchers you can take each test for $90 vs $150.
Linux+ (about 20% is hardware) so it is a good follow up to A+ as is N+. A+ also counts as an elective for MCSA when equipped with N+ or Server+.
It's good for life and is something to be proud of. Getting an award for demonstrating your knowledge helps build confidence, motivation for future certs and shows that you have initiative to improve yourself.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I really just need the A+ so I can get a job at Bestbuy or CompUSA. I know It is not exactly the hardest degree to get, and It does not give quite the same impression as an MCSE but for what I need, It is fine.

Im doing decent on the practice test. The Interupt, I/O System and Address Range questions are killing me as I don't know them. Other that that I am doing quite well on these practice tests, normally scoring around 80 % even with the Address Range questions tripping me up.

The Exam Cram series is excellent. I've used that myself. Imo - it's always a good idea to get A+ certification if you plan on someday doing either part time or full time pc repair, as so many people require it anyway. I finally got mine about 5 years ago and I didn't think the test(s) was really all that difficult. Besides, you don't have to score 100 percent to pass. And if you don't pass the first time, you can always try again. Go for it. That's what I say. Good luck!

mudpark41 said:
I want to get a job over the summer at a "Mom and Pop's" Computer Store or at Best Buy. I think having A+ Cert would help. I think I can ..................

imho A+ is not worth the paper its printed on

i got mine a while ago back when i was just out of college and it didnt help me 1 lick and i was calling about 5 "mom and pop" places a weekend asking about jobs ( granted the job market was slow at the time)

i then got a job with aol ( doing networking stuff so shutup) and they never asked if i had it and when i told them they didnt seem to care much

i now work for usatoday ( again doing computer stuff) and they didnt even know what it was so thats my 2 cents on it

Crash893 said:
imho A+ is not worth the paper its printed on

i got mine a while ago back when i was just out of college and it didnt help me 1 lick and i was calling about 5 "mom and pop" places a weekend asking about jobs ( granted the job market was slow at the time)

i then got a job with aol ( doing networking stuff so shutup) and they never asked if i had it and when i told them they didnt seem to care much

i now work for usatoday ( again doing computer stuff) and they didnt even know what it was so thats my 2 cents on it

Well if they didn't ask you before for a certification why would they be interested in knowing about the, what I mean is it could be that since they hire people without asking for a certification they might not know about any certification. But I know for sure that compusa at least the one in my neighborhood only hires A+ certified people.

To me MOUS is much more useless though, got two of them Excel and Word, and they are completely useless.

Well it really depends. I'm planning to get it as many of the stores in my area explicitly ask for A+ Certification when hiring, and don't even require any previous experience.

Avg said:
Well if they didn't ask you before for a certification why would they be interested in knowing about the, what I mean is it could be that since they hire people without asking for a certification they might not know about any certification. But I know for sure that compusa at least the one in my neighborhood only hires A+ certified people.

To me MOUS is much more useless though, got two of them Excel and Word, and they are completely useless.

hey man you're in farmingdale ? i'm in that same area (go to suny farmingdale) as well, i think we're on the same boat

Mr_Fuchs said:
hey man you're in farmingdale ? i'm in that same area (go to suny farmingdale) as well, i think we're on the same boat

I'll be going to suny in two years, right now I'm going to nassau community. When I was talking consumer electronics at my HS my teacher actually went around the neightborhood checking where we could get a job with A+ certification but due to other complications I'm not able to take those jobs, so I'm unable to use my certification. I was on the local newspaper and the twon clerk sent me a letter congratulating me about the A+ certification.

Back