• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of BOINC questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edhand

Registered
1. I have it set so that computation is suspended when the computer is in use...but it only runs on my profile (I have 4, 1 for me, my wife, and each of my older kids) and it will run when they are active, often closing slowdowns. Any ideas on how to correct this?

2. What % of CPU do you make available? I've had it running at 100%, but because of it I put my OC back down to stock because of temps. Even at stock speeds, I'm not sure 52C is a temp I want it running at for hours at a time...

Thanks!

SETI will slow some things down but unless the application is very intensive it shouldn't be that noticeable.
Is this the individual setting in the BOINC app (under Advanced/Preferences) or your account setting you're talking about?
What programs are slowing down?

52°C load on CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) is fine, even 55°C is OK. I use 100% CPU, 98% memory at idle - 95% memory when in use ...

The setting in the app. The slowdown is video related, watching movies/playing games on higher settings. At the moment, the only way I can fix it is to either log off of my profile when someone else is on, or disable Cuda. I'm getting my temps from CoreTemp, but those temps are at stock speeds. @~3.4, the CPU pushes 60 @100%.

weird, I was playing Tf2 earlier 1680x1050 all settigns max 16XMCAA 16AF everything max haha, and smooth as silk, i didnt even realize boinc was using my gpu. but it was.

not trying to jack this thread, but i have my cache set to 10 days, using a gpu to crunch, it only sends me 13 wu's, i go through 2 send them, i get another two, any ideas ? I go through these wus in about 15mins.

The setting in the app. The slowdown is video related, watching movies/playing games on higher settings. At the moment, the only way I can fix it is to either log off of my profile when someone else is on, or disable Cuda. I'm getting my temps from CoreTemp, but those temps are at stock speeds. @~3.4, the CPU pushes 60 @100%.

I noticed on my 8 & 9 series graphics card, that I can notice lag when CUDA is enabled. On my back up Rig I don't care so I leave it. But my main rig, I set it to not use GPU while computer is in use. That may be what you need to do, in order for it not to be noticeable. I just installed 2 260's, and the lag isn't there, like on the older cards.

Have you tried changing Computing Preferences on your Account Page instead of the local app ...?

Have you tried changing Computing Preferences on your Account Page instead of the local app ...?

I'll give that a try, see if it helps.

I noticed on my 8 & 9 series graphics card, that I can notice lag when CUDA is enabled. On my back up Rig I don't care so I leave it. But my main rig, I set it to not use GPU while computer is in use. That may be what you need to do, in order for it not to be noticeable. I just installed 2 260's, and the lag isn't there, like on the older cards.

It maybe because of that...I didn't exactly splurge on the video card.

Back