• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few 8350 questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

Been a while since I've posted here! Rig hasn't changed much since last time, 4890 is now a 7770 though. 4890 crapped out when I moved :p.

Alright, first of all, just checking compatibility. I have this motherboard (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280). I know it's an AM3+ board and that it says it supports FX chips, just making sure it'll work with the 8350 (though I assume it will).

I'm upgrading from a 955 BE at stock settings, on a 600 watt Corsair PSU. I'm pretty sure that's enough power for it, since the only other thing is a 7770, but just making sure :p.

I'm running it in a crappy NZXT Source 210 case (I think it's NZXT? not sure, my friend's clan tag in League is NXZL and I'm all confused), and I currently have a Hyper 212+ with MX Artic Silver thermal paste (or something like that). Will that be sufficient cooling, given the case?

And lastly - for anyone with experience, do you know how well it will record HD video? I'm looking to do 720/1080 recording, and was just wondering if anyone knew how well it handled that. I know it's going to be far better than the 955, and I'm assuming it'll do 720p no sweat, but not sure about 1080p. Thanks!

Personal opinion >> The board and the cooler you have should allow for an overclock of 4.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz. Beyond that you will have heat problems most likely and the cpu voltage regulation circuit will not likely be up to the task of day in and day out above 4.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz since there is a pretty good voltage jump to the cpu that is needed to bust over 4.5Ghz and 'then' the heat attacks like a maniac even on Vishera core. If you have a cramped little case with poor air-flow from lower front to upper rear then the CM Hyper-212 may have problems holding the temps down. You don't know about heat yet moving from a Denab four core to a 8 core Vishera cpu.

I have an 8350 on a CHV mobo with 1.38Vcore at 4.5Ghz and it is a video rendering fool.

Some of the heads around here that are not writing in for help but do help are sort of seeming to form an idea the FX-6300 might be a better all around choice for power to do work and less heat. If you have less heat you might then get maybe 4.6Ghz on the CM Hyper-212 or maybe a little more. Hard to say with 95% certainty just yet since most of us already having CHV type mobo's went for the FX-8350 but we have 100's of dollarrs in our cooling setups. You need that sort of high-dollar cooling to push big clocks 24/7 or the heat comes in and slows you or you cook parts.

That 4.6Ghz you might reach with FX-6300 and your 'other' current parts will help in gaming since Mhz does help, but the FX-6300 is just not the heat hog the FX-8350 surely is. FX-8350 is some improvement over the FX-8150 but they are a long way from being Intel-like in power draw and heat output.

Your motherboard will be fine for a 6300 but you might need to flash the BIOS. I have a hyper 212 plus heatsink on my FX-8320 and it does an okay job. I have a case with pretty good airflow but my temps stay under 50c with hyper 212 plus and I have my CPU running at 4.3GHz. At 4.4GHz I have to bump the voltage and then my temps jump close to 10c. The hyper 212 plus will get you a decent OC and keep it cool but if you want to get over 4.5GHz you'll need a better cooler.

Gaming and streaming/transcoding at the same time on a 6300 would be smooth. I run a multiple instance media server on my [email protected] that handles 2-3 HD transcodes at a time, while folding, surfing, listening to music, 2-3 virtual machines, playing games and/or running my productivity set of software(Eclipse, adobe suite, office) all at once and it never misses a beat.

The 95W TDP on the 6300 is going to be alot more friendly on the 4+1 phase VRM that your motherboard has, and make it easier for your heatsink to deal with at the same time.

IMO for people who own an AM3+ mobo right now its really hard to not tell them all to go get a 6300 and get rid of there current deneb/thuban/bulldozer(especially) chip.

As to mobo supporting the chip I dont know about asrock but my asus and my gigabyte motherboards were able to successfully boot and flash the bios AFTER installing a vishera chip while the board was still running BD bios, so I wouldn't worry about it other than making sure you have the bios available to flash(if you cant do it ahead of time).

If you do have your heart set on an 8350 I would get something that has a little more power available for the cpu. That board is only 4+1 phase and these chips are hungry. I recently upgraded and for the same price range got the asus M5A99fx r2.0 it's 6+2+2 and seems to hold up . Just trying to get on top of my temps right now.

:facepalm:OOPS II thought you were buying a board. My bad.

Back