• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions from a noob...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vacca

Registered
It seems that I accidentally bought the 80mm tornado case fan instead of the 92mm (had a weird scenario with newegg in which it caused me to remake my order for the 4th time, so I was in a hurry). Would this one be as good or close to the 92mm tornados? I'm going to mount it on an slk900a.

Another question, this will be my first time mounting a fan like this on a heatsync (usually buy them already mounted). Is this hard to do? Was wondering exactly how you do it? Also, maybe if there's a guide somewhere?

One more question... I was reading about the noise that these things make. I read somewhere they put out about 55db's... My Volcano 9 supposedly puts out 48db @ 4800rpm, which now it's running @ about 5500rpms. Would this be the kind of noise I should expect? It sounds like a jet engine when it comes on, but I've had it for over a year now and I kind of miss the sound when I'm on a more quiet computer, lol (if you can imagine that).

Thanks for all your replies in advance.

92mms and 80mms often perform virtually the same because there is less area in an 80mm which the airflow is spread over and the fan hub can be smaller.

I have the 80mm and my brother has the 92mm, and I would say that they're both about the same when it comes to noise.LOUD!!!
But, they push out an incredible amount of air, so I think that the noise is well worth it. If you want to be able to think, I would suggest getting a fan controller or something like it so you can tone it down a little when your not gaming.

hmm...any ideas on the mounting, lol? I read something about holding it on with wire?

Sorry, this is my first time at something like this... Only fans I've ever installed were mounted to the heatsync already.

If it mounts similar to an slk700 then it is very simple... Once you get the heatsink you will be able to tell how to do it.

There are a few holes where you insert the wire into the heatsink on each side, the size of the fan determines which holes you use. The wires clip right onto the fan by holding onto the screw holes in the fan housing. Very simple. You'll have no problem with it. :)

Back