• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Little Help O.Cing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous11

Registered
Hi all, If you could spare a moment of your time it would be appreciated.

First a little information ( I can always provide more):

I currently have a:

Processor: AMD FX-8150
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620
Motherboard: Sabertooth 990fx
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 6970

I am not the best when it comes to overclocking, but I can usually find my way through to the end I want. I am looking mainly for some information I am currently clocked about 4.7gHz 200FSB - 23.5x multiplier - 1.44/1.45v. my temps idle are generally 25-27c, but when running prime 95 they skyrocket to 65-75c in a matter of seconds.

On to my question/s:

my FSB is 200mHz, and changing that up even in the slightest causes blue screens and boot failures. I would like to push 5gHz on this rig but between the FSB and the skyrocketing temps in Prime I am more than a little concerned.

Looking at what information I have given, do my temps seem out of normal even for a water cooled processor? And any thoughts in regards to not being able to move my FSB up from 200?

And finally, I believe I have brickwalled the multiplier as trying to get to 24x causes a crash after 5 minutes or so of running.

If you need anything else from me just ask and I will be happy to provide it.

The FX CPUs really get hot fast when the vcore gets past a certain point, usually once you get past the low 1.4 's volt range. Sorry, but I think you're expectations for overclocking are a little unrealistic without going to some kind of chiller that takes coolant temps well below ambient at idle. 4.4-4.5 ghz is about all you can expect with your cooler and still keep temps safe, like 55-60 for core temps.

Second that. That chip is a real hot one!
And also, the Kuhler 620 is not a 'real' water cooling loop per se. It does well up to 4.4-4.6 perhaps if your vcore is not too high though.
Be sure to have good airflow on your motherboard too, you want to cool the vrm and nb, cause your cpu can be quite harsh on those.
If you want to tweak further, try ram ocing. Fx chips have brilliant IMC's normally, and will allow you to get more than 2133mhz if you lower your multi and do some fsb oc.

. . . If you want to tweak further, try ram ocing. Fx chips have brilliant IMC's normally, and will allow you to get more than 2133mhz if you lower your multi and do some fsb oc.

As long as your ram will handle 2133 but the average 1600 or 1866 ram probably won't. And there really is very little performance advantage to running high speed ram like that. Testing shows that very few applications really benefit much from anything over 1333 mhz.

Yeah, I think 1600mhz is the sweetspot. But seeing the OP wants moar performance, that wouldn't hurt. It can be a fun thing to do as a quest of sorts. :p

Just wanted to clarify that the kuhler 620 is not 'water cooling', so expecting 5ghz from an fx8150 is not realistic with it.

That would be what I am referencing. If it's at its limit for cooling capabilities then I am OK with that, my idle and even standard full load temps don't usually go over 40-45c, only with Prime do they top 65-70c or higher.

My O.C. expectations may be unrealistic, and I am OK with that, I want to push this setup to its limit. I am curious as to why I cannot up the bus speed on the processor over 200 without it crapping out on me, any thoughts are welcome either way.

Well, when you raise the FSB not only does it speed up the CPU cores (which could actually be the problem if you are at the limit of stability already) but it also speeds up the HT Link, the ram and the CPUNB. The HT Link, the ram and the CPUNB are all tuned to the FSB. Any of them can become the source of instability when their limit is exceeded but one would not think a tiny increase in the FSB over the stock 200 mhz would make that much difference.

One thing that is very helpful is if you would attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That would give us lots of valuable info.

I thought so as well, when I did change the FSB, I lowered the multiplier and adjusted the CPUNB, HTLink, and Ram (slightly underclocking all of them) to try and negate any issues that upping that FSB would cause. I may just have a bad chip that cant handle the higher Bus speed, anything is a possibility really.

There is really no reason to overclock with the FX CPUs because they are unlocked. The FX CPUs don't seem to like overclocking of the HT Link and the CPUNB for some reason although that is offset by the fact that those things have a little higher baseline frequency to start with than the Phenom IIs.

Alright thanks for the input, that is mainly what I was looking for as far as information goes.

Back