• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A poll with a twist - what has been your HOTTEST STABLE temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Read the post, then vote.

• Up to 30C

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 31 to 45C

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 41 to 50C

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • 51 to 55C

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • 56 to 60C

Votes: 74 17.1%
  • 61 to 65C

Votes: 79 18.3%
  • 66 to 70C

Votes: 59 13.7%
  • 71 to 75C

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • 75 to 80C

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • 81C+

Votes: 54 12.5%

• Total voters
Maybe it would be good to say how the temp is measured... For example I said 65 load, but I use an Abit board and I know they read directly from the diode compared to the socket with most boards... could make a difference...

Before I got a better heatsink my 2500 xp ran at around 67C loaded with a 1.8v core. Ran fine at that temp for a couple of weeks until I got my new heat sink and she's still kickin.

CPU Type:Mobile XP2500+
VCore:1.78 V
Max Temp:45 C
Cooling:Volcano 11+ (Havent hit 40+c yet with SI-97)
Situation: Not sure why temp spiked, perhaps bumped it when adding HDD, long story.....:D
CPU dead or alive:Alive

Situation 1

CPU: AMD Athalon XP 2500 at 2.2ghz (3200 speed)
MOBO: NF7-S
Cooler: Some crappy generic "stock" HSF
Case: Crappy $20 case with one rear case fan.
Situation: Summer time, no AC in room, gamming, CPU pushed in the high 70's. Eventually the mahcine was cooled via a complex series if internla ducts.
CPU Status: Alive and Kicking, currently running in a machien i built for a friend.
Note of interest: The Geforce Ti4200 in that machine was also hitting high temps, actually burnign out the fan on the HSF. Cooler was replaced, GPU is currently running in my Wifes comp alive and well

Situation 2:
CPU AMD A64 3500 @2.45ghz
MOBO MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
Cooling: Custom DD water cooling.
Situation, Male molex pin on the pumps lead apparently was loose and not making full contact with the power cable. Must have jostled loose after being moved around for some cleaning and "upgrades". Comp ran and was stable for 5-10 minutes, machine shut down at 80c.
CPU Status: Alive and well, my current processor (this happened about 2 months ago).

• CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP 2100@2265
  • VCore: 1.675
  • Max Temp: 57C
  • Cooling: Vantec Veroflow, 2x80mm case fans
  • Situation: Medium case, warm room,ok airflow
  • CPU dead or alive: Alive and well

Had a fire going in winter. Room temp was probably 85 degrees (F) the whole weekend.

CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP 3000+
VCore: 1.75v
Max Temp: 63c core
Cooling: Dragon Orb 3, good case airflow
Situation: warm room, good airflow
CPU dead or alive: Alive

Well, it's not my comp, but brothers's:
CPU Type: Athlon Thunderbird 900
VCore: stock, no idea what it was
Max Temp: no idea, but water was boiling in WB :D
Cooling: Crappy WC kit
Situation: pump was submerged style and cap covering rotor fell off - so there was no water circulation, tubing was small, so no natural flow. I realized that it wasn't ok, when I heard "psst" of steam :D
CPU dead or alive: Alive after that, killed it later

She is 24/7 stable folding at 1.84v on an A64 2800+. Yes, it is too high both on 52c loaded temps and vcore. DFI is on its way and should serve to cure this. Epox instability requires the use of modded bios and cg to up fsb while under load to maintain vcore. It has been folding at this for a month now using an xp90. I have every intention of folding at 1.82v as long as the xp90 can hold it below 50c.

CPU Type: 3000+ Winchester
VCore: 1.55v
Max Temp: 65c averaged between 62-66c
Cooling: SLK-948 Lapped w/ 92mm fan
Situation: FAH summer with the AIR off in a room with 4 other PC's must have been 80+ in my room at the time
CPU dead or alive: Very much alive and still stays hot ~55c

Next step is to remove IHS to drop the temp a few more degrees

* CPU Type: Athlon XP T-Bred 2600+ @ 2.2. GHz

* VCore: 1.725v

* Max Temp: 72C

* Cooling: Stock

* Situation: Midi Tower with 1 80 mm exhaust and PSU with a single 80 mm fan in back

* CPU dead or alive: Runs my main rig and plays NFS Underground 2 @ 1600x1200 all details max, just fine. Now runs @2.3 GHz, 1.75 V, Hits 58 once in a while but on load mostly is 55-56.

i still think 45C is the magic number.
If you dont have an overclocked CPU or a mildly overclocked CPU yes you can get away with high temps... But Cool CPU's overclock more, so it really all depends on how hard the CPU was pushed for the higest temp with a stable speed

Howver at the same time, i think i am about 50C, but i dont like to much of an overvolt with an overclocked CPU that hot

AMD Barton XP2500 @ 2.464 (201 x 12)

NF7 v2.0 MOBO

Case temp = 35 degrees celcius

VCore = 1.97 (set to 2.0, but reads lower)

HS+F Thermaltake Volcano 11+ w modded temp sensor (sensor failed when highest temp was recorded)

Max temp = 63 degrees celcius.

Temp sensor stopped controlling smart fan speed and slowed the fan enough to stall (never had that happen). definitely heat-stressed the cpu for 1 1/2 days (was gone all weekend).
Status = Alive and well, although I needed to go make a new sensor.

Pentium 4 650--> 4.1ghz

Vcore: 1.48v

Asus P5AD2-E Premium Wireless Edition

Case Temp: 30c

Cooling at the time: H2O Eheim 1250, DangerDen TDX(LGA775), Black Ice Micro 80mm w\50cfm Sunon, Tygon 3606 1/2 ID.

Idle 52c----Load 67c

Situation: Running 2x Prime95 first night I got my watercooling. After about 8hrs, I looked at Asus Probe and BAM 67c! It was running with no errors. I knew something was wrong, turned out I had the TDX backwards in the loop, CPU and TDX were barely making contact and I was using an 80mm radiator. :bang head Straightened everything out now running a Black Ice Extreme 120mm w\Panaflo Ultra High 113cfmwith idle about 34c and load about 44c.

Back