• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A poll with a twist - what has been your HOTTEST STABLE temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Read the post, then vote.

• Up to 30C

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 31 to 45C

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 41 to 50C

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • 51 to 55C

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • 56 to 60C

Votes: 74 17.1%
  • 61 to 65C

Votes: 79 18.3%
  • 66 to 70C

Votes: 59 13.7%
  • 71 to 75C

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • 75 to 80C

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • 81C+

Votes: 54 12.5%

• Total voters
My 3.2E was rock solid at 4.2GHz, and under water loaded temps were around 65C. On warm days it could hit 70C at times.

71 - 75

* CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (palomino) @ 1.70 Ghz

* VCore: 1.8

* Max Temp: High enough to burn it some!

* Cooling: Volcano 7+

* Situation: What program were you running, Summer or Winter, re-seated HS?
I was trying to play BF:1942 to stress test the system, and little did I know that the HSF had failed, and the ambient temperature in my room that day was around 32*C (no A/C). Sooo, the CPU failed. When I pulled the HS off and looked at it, there were black marks around the core, (black bit in the middle),and the thermal paste had run all over the place.

* CPU dead or alive: QUITE dead, allong with the mobo. That was my first leasson on overclocking and happened about 2 years ago. what did I learn? stay far FAR away from the Palomino Core'd CPU's! that and go in steps, cause I was dumb and went at it all at once.

CPU Type: P4 3.2E SL7KC DO stepping
VCore: 1.4375v
Max Temp: 68C
Cooling: Stock Intel <=== NEVER use the stock cooler when OC'ing a Prescott!!!
Situation: Prime95, Winter, HSF was reseated twice to see if that was problem- I tried to see if it would help, but the stock cooler is not up to the task on a Prescott- not at all! :bang head
CPU dead or alive: CPU is alive and well- no thanks to my stupidity! LOL God does watch out for fools!

Note: I replaced that stock piece of ***t with a Zalman 7700cu. MUCH better. An XP 120 or water is even better.

I'm not sure on the specs on the machine, because it wasn't mine. But the I do believe it was a P4 3.2Ghz Pressy with stock cooling.

The idiot didn't mount the heatsink right and...yeah we hit 59C on our AV Room's comp. By stable..it ran, but video was horrible. None of us had any idea why it was happening. We assumed it was the Radeon. Then he came in and said "Oh yea..I was having troubles getting the heatsink/fan on right"......wow

Well, I'm in the 81+ seeing as it was about 85... but that was on an ABit board... so that would be about 40 on a good board ;)

That was a P4 2.4 553 chip... OCd at 3ghz on one of those crappy jet engine cooler thingies... at least it was all copper, aside from the horrid jet engine fan.

Last edited:
CPU Type: AMD 64 Clawhammer 3000+

VCore: 1.5v

Max Temp: 50c

Cooling: Situation: I was encoding video for the better part of 12hrs in the summer in a hot room.

CPU dead or alive: alive

Last edited:
CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP Palimino 2000+
VCore: 1.78v
Max Temp: 72C running SETI (almost as hot in Doom 3, but not for 24Hrs.)
Cooling: Stock
Situation: Small case, poor airflow, front and and back covers removed, MBM5 set to shutdown at 75C
CPU dead or alive: Alive and kicking

Had sig system running 100% stable = 2.5ghz / 1.85Vcore / 57c full load

2.4ghz was a better sweet spot for the set up - 1.75Vcore / 52c full load

Athlon Xp1600 stock everything. Avg stock cpu cooler.
Ambient Temp: 118*f
CPU Temp(Idle):174*f
Never had any heat related shutdowns or lockups. :) Ran fine for a few days before I actually checked the temps and still works fine now. Not sure about load temps, but It was under load a few timesbefore I checked the temps. After checkng temps in BIOS I immediately shut it down to prevent possible damage, definately don't wanna run it under load...might toast it.

My current computer does 65 degrees idle, and has run seti@home on 80 degrees loads for days on end. It might just be the motherboard sensors being goofy. But then again, this IS a Katmai P3 600B. With a default voltage of 2.05V... What else should I expect! =p

My cousin has a HP Pavilion with 2600+ Barton on stock. I just once looked in the bios and the CPU temp was astonishing 75C. And the room temp was around 20C. I was just horrified because it was winter and how high would it end at summer when ambient can easily be around 30C. I opened the case and found out that it had some very small HS with a slow fan and no case fan. :O The case design was also IMO bad because HD was placed vertically in front of the case thus blocking almost all of the airflow.

Amazingly the comp was perfectly stable though. Anyways we changed the cooler to a Spire Falconrock 2 and added an 92mm case fan. The after we moved HD to better place the temps dropped dramatically. They are now somewhere around 50's when fans are at full speed.

Ι run my A64 3200+ 754 socket with Vcore around 1.400 Volts at 2.2GHz (default speed).
LOL I removed watercooling block and I put a small heatsink without fan and thermal paste. :rolleyes:
After one hour temperature was 71C and at 73C my CPU crashed! :santa:
But it is still alive! :)

CPU Type: X2 3800@2880
VCore: 1.58
Max Temp: 38C
Cooling: Water
Situation: Prime 2 instances on high priority.

Before I removed the IHS under load the cpu would hit 52C. My max stable OC was 2.78. Now my load temps are 38C and I can run stable at [email protected]

Voted for 81+

I was running an AMD XP1700 0310 XPMW DLT3C JIUHB at a modest overclock of 2.2GHz at 1.75Vcore

Fan failed and the last MBM log before the computer shut off was 126°C. Since the logs were not at frequent intervals, I am guessing it was stable for just a little more than that before it shut down.

CPU: 1700+ AlthonXP (at 2080mhz)
Vcore: 1.6v
Max temp: 67C
Cooling: stock, with fan 7v'ed

It would get hotter, but i bottled when the NB hit 75, and was still climb fast! So i killed Heatup.
- Cpu never gets above 65 in normal usage, even when reencoding long lenghts of Video.

Daniel

Has anybody reading this thread ever had a CPU die as the result of long term high temps? I'm not talking "heatsink fell off so my CPU smoked" kind of things but rather the 70C+ for years situations.

Members of this and all other hardware forums are constantly saying things like this. "Over 65c you say? You better do something about that or your chip is going to die soon!" Is there absolutely no merit to that claim whatsoever?

Here is how I see it. Low temperatures almost always lead to higher overclocks. We all agree on that. The hardware community has been talking about sub 40/50C temps long enough that the reason behind keeping to those ranges has gotten warped from being for overclocking performance into being an absolute necessity of CPU health.

This phenomenon was very evident when video cards started sporting temperature sensors. Many enthusiasts freaked out seeing the 70 - 90c load temps the cards were putting up with stock cooling. Even the realization that modern video cards (more complex ICs made with similar processes) run at previously unheard of temps hasn't quieted the notion that CPUs will die immediately or in due time when running very hot. It has turned into "Don't worry, video cards can handle more heat than your typical CPU can." :rolleyes:

Gnerma said:
....the hardware community has been talking about sub 40/50C temps long enough that the reason behind keeping to those ranges has gotten warped from being for overclocking performance into being an absolute necessity of CPU health.
Yeah, i've often wondered about this.

Back