• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A poll with a twist - what has been your HOTTEST STABLE temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Read the post, then vote.

• Up to 30C

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 31 to 45C

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 41 to 50C

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • 51 to 55C

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • 56 to 60C

Votes: 74 17.1%
  • 61 to 65C

Votes: 79 18.3%
  • 66 to 70C

Votes: 59 13.7%
  • 71 to 75C

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • 75 to 80C

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • 81C+

Votes: 54 12.5%

• Total voters
Gnerma - in my opinion such risk exists, however...

Ok, here we start. As we all have access to sites like www.amd.com or www.intel.com, we can read a lot. Personally, I'm after reading whole formfactors.org and big part of 2 I mentioned earlier. Each CPU has given working conditions - they tell what temperature and voltage is ok.

Some "overclockers" were saying "oh noes, your cpu will get fried" when I was thinking that 2.25v / >60°C is ok for Palomino. It used to run earlier at stock voltage at temperatures close to 90°C before I learnt that there should be fans in case. And it was according to datasheets. CPU still runs and still OCes well (as for Palomino).

I've seen some reports that OC possibilites decreased after long-term serious overvolting without proper cooling, however nothing got fried.

Problem is with modern CPUs. When we check their tolerance to temperature and voltage, it's just a fraction of what older CPUs can stand. As most of us don't overvolt till it starts to glow, let's focus on temperature. I'm not really into very old CPUs, but I'll try to show it on example of some AMD CPUs, so here are some max temps, data given by manufacturer:
AXP Palomino: 90°C
AXP Barton: 85°C
A64 0.13u: 70°C
A64 0.09u: 63°C
and it still decreases, so finding CPU with max temp given in datasheet <60°C shouldn't be anything unusual.

What does it mean?
Modern CPUs produce more and more heat, while they have lower max temp (theoretical, as I haven't found reports about frying them). They require better and better cooling - check intel datasheets, max °C/W that they recommend for coolers is VERY low.
Frying older CPUs is something difficult, but I think that with stuff like top AMD or intel CPUs, including dual cores, we have to deal with such possibility.

So before we say "omg, 40°C on your CPU, that's hot" or "60°C? nothing to worry about", let's check datasheets and compare long-term load temperatures.

Will running CPU > maximum temperature given in datasheet make it fry?
I don't think so, at least not when CPU was exposed to such conditions for short period and they were close to maximum theoretical values. It may reduce life time of CPU, so I'd try to keep components in ranges that manufacturer says to be safe.

The Coolest has made nice application that can read max rated temperature from A64 CPUs, so if you have such CPUs, you may try it out.

Maybe we should make something like list of maximum rated temperatures for CPUs and other stuff, like GPUs, memory chips etc. It's also worth keeping in mind that we often focus on cooling CPU, GPU etc forgetting about other components. Some of us put active cooling on HDDs, RAM on video cards, system RAM, NB, but what with rest of chips? There are lots of components on motherboards and graphics cards that haven't got heatsink, that don't draw much power and don't produce much heat but... But they still produce some heat. If we don't cool something and it constantly produces heat, temperature increases. So we have some shocking "temperature photos" of mobos showing that some components are really hot while we perhaps haven't even known that they existed. That's one of reasons why I'm against "passive" cooling.

So ending this a little too long post, I'd like to suggest checking maximum temeprature of your components that manufacturer says to be ok. Also have some rational case airflow to keep all your components in proper conditions.

* CPU Type: AMD 64 3000+ @ 2205

* VCore: Stock(1.3)

* Max Temp: 42°C

* Cooling: Stock Heatsink/fan

* Situation: Summer,3d rendering programs

* CPU dead or alive: Alive

Hottest I've ever run anything stable:
Asus 9950 Geforce 5950 out of the box would hit 95°C on full load even with excessive air flow. 55°C idle, and default scale back was set at 140°C. I ran it that way for 2 months and then water cooled it. Now 30°C idle 34°C full load.

Never gotten an XP except for an MP or XP-M to run over 65°C fully stable reguardless of processor or motherboard.

Have seen an MP-2000 run stable at 70°C but thats probably because it's stock voltage was set at 1.85.

When I took an XP-M 2500 over 2.85 Ghz it'd crash when going above 42°C at any VCC.

My watercooled 3200+ XP doesn't like more than 50deg. C. I can get that high under load with around 1.9+v, and it usually will error out in P95.

When the fan broke on my NB... my little NF4 Ultra reached 240c :eek: :eek:
Then it shut down.

My 5700's GPU temp can go up to 110c before it refuses to work... but I have liquid cooling on it now and it runs cool even when I heavily overclock it.

Heh, 90c last night completely by accident. I was trying to trouble shoot my 2nd RAID 0 array, and didn't realize i unplugged the CPU fan on the ninja. The 955XE ran alright in HL2 for about 10 mins until i alt-tabbed out to check email and saw speedfan at 90c+ o_O

~ Gos

CPU Type: AMD 1.4 Tbird
VCore: stock (can't remember the values)
Max Temp: 70
Cooling: stock air
Situation: What program were you running, Summer or Winter, re-seated HS? everyday use, didn't matter the season, and yes.
CPU dead or alive: alive afaik, haven't used it in years.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :p

Since this is at the top again...

I recently had an E6400 successfully running SMP_FAH @ 80°C for a few days until my daughter complained her system was acting weird.

A nice can of DustOff took care of the situation and dropped it back down to the low 60s.

This rig is OCed to 3GHz, fully loaded 24/7 and still uses the stock Intel heatsink LOL.

Two weeks later and it's back up to 70°C so I might have to invest in a better cooler for a long term solution because if I don't blow out the dust bunnies, it won't get done.

This is an EXCELLENT long-term usage thread. I have even more respect for my man David the Genius. :beer:

Let's keep it going.

CHip: Non-Allendale Core 2 Duo E6400
Vcore: 1.30
Cooling: Evercool WC-202
Temps: 56c on load,
Situation: Compressing video/encoding movies

CPU status: I've had this chip a little over two years now and it's basically been compressing video, almost non-stop, 24 hours for the past six months or so. I left it going when I was out of town. It was on for sure all during christmas and thanksgiving. And I'm certain I didn't turn it off during the summer.

I got a lot of flak for buying the WC-202. I got a lot of flak for using duct tape on its metal mounting bracket (which short circuited two previous motherboards). But it's held up... the DS3 has held up... and I couldn't be prouder.

I agree rainless, lets keep it up!

I had an XP-M 2600+ i used to run at 2.7ghz on 1.975vcore on air. Used to reach 55c loaded. Worked for ages like that (almost a year), but now it won't overclock at all. I think i overvolted it too much for too long. arrr well.

I agree rainless, lets keep it up!

I had an XP-M 2600+ i used to run at 2.7ghz on 1.975vcore on air. Used to reach 55c loaded. Worked for ages like that (almost a year), but now it won't overclock at all. I think i overvolted it too much for too long. arrr well.

Well my CPU is actually undervolted so it should be fine :)

CPU Type: Pentium D945 @4.25ghz
VCore: 1.45
Max Temp: 74C
Cooling: stock intel
Situation: orthos small ffts in summer
CPU dead or alive: still alive :D

AthlonXP 2600+
Stock
~85c

Had a dust heatsink it was like this for about 2 weeks untill i realised it was a little hot, it still runs hot like 50c loaded.

CPU Type: Athlon X2 5600+
VCore: 1.5125
Max Temp: 76C
Cooling: Stock AMD (3500+ cooler!)
Situation: OCCT during the summer
CPU dead or alive: Alive and kicking

I ordered an OEM CPU and forgot to get an upgraded cooler with it, so I used the stock heatsink from a 3500+ with the fan running at the minimum speed (I didn't realize that the fan was hardly spinning until the next day), and CPU ran OCCT all night. I woke up the next day and noticed that it was still happily chugging along at 76C, not a care in the world. I promptly turned OCCT off, but was amazed that it had no errors while running so hot for hours and hours on end.

Now with my Zalman 9700, its load temps are 48/46 so I pamper that thing since I was so bad to it before!

1.61vcore, 3.8GHz stable on my stock 2.66Ghz E6750 :D

65-70C :D

cooling in sig, that was during the winter too with good ambient temps, I could not do that in the summer now

cpu: pent D820 at 4.0
vcore: 1.68/1.70 volts
max temp: 63*c
cooling: thermaltake I1 with silverstone 110 cfm fan on max
duty: was folding
alive or dead: ALIVE of corse cant destroy a "D" :p

Back