• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A real soap opera

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

I bought a Dell Inspiron 620s because it seemed like a good deal for a cheap 64bit quad-core box. However, Dell has given new meaning to the term austere: never mind the crappy keyboard or the funky USB speakers which barely make a sound, or even the no frills mobo with no extra PCI slots; they don't even provide you with a Windows 7 Operating System disk so u can reinstall in case something goes wrong!

Anyways I talk to Dell support and they tell me that the back up OS7 disk is available thru software that was factory installed and already included (Dell Backup and Recovery Manager), in other words, I have to make my own.

My question is, will I be able to install the OS on the same original Dell PC but using another HDD?

What I want to do is leave the original 1.5 terrabite HDD as storage and work the OS from a smaller secondary HDD I installed which previously has been partitioned for dual boot Windows/Ubuntu. The second HDD works fine except that the version of Windows it has on it is Vista, and I would prefer Seven which came with the new box.

I mostly use Ubuntu for my everyday work and Windows is there almost as an after-thought, so no big deal, except for some gaming now and then.

Thanks for any help.

yea you can install the OS on another HDD you just use there backup/recovery program to burn a disk and use it to install the OS on the new drive.

Back