• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Rig To Run 1.492 Billion Pixels Per Second (3*4K displays) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Again, different cards clearly have worked in CF in the past, and I doubt the R9s are any different. Somebody who actually has two cards of different models can come in and state that it doesn't work, but until they do, that graph is meaningless for any purpose other than determining whether a bridge is needed.

AMD has always stated in the past when a card will/won't work with another, see the HD7000 series.
AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

I have a reference 290 here.. I will have to test that some time with the 295x2 (2 290x's).

I am trying 3DMark Ultra on it here in a bit... :)

First, I threw up in my mouth when I saw an AMD CPU and those amazing GPU's!...You need an quad i5 at the min for this.

Second, I havn't used eyefinity in a while, but when you crossfire them and use eyefinity, doesn't one card output to all the monitors? Or has this changed? (it's been two years since I messed with eyefinity and multiple monitors)

Keep pluggin away and pushing the envelope!

Thanks! I'll try to explain what's happening...

Yes, in CrossfireX mode only the primary card will produce a video signal. It also presents all three devices to the system as one device (the primary card), allowing that card to use any linked cards as secondary processing devices, which is accomplished by the Catalyst drivers.

So, un-CrossfireX'ed this way, an Eyefinity display group cannot be created. Eyefinity presents any display devices connected to the primary graphics card as one display device seen by the system. Disabling CrossfireX causes the system to recognise both the separate graphics adapters, and the separate monitors connected to the system.

So my system sees three separate devices; which all independently output their own video signals to each monitor. This does cause slightly more CPU utilisation, but not to where it's anything to be concerned over.

Don't have any explanation why you threw up in your mouth about an AMD CPU though. What can I say, I just prefer them! :confused:

The state of the build is such that the only thing I haven't been able to source yet for the next stage is mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables. They're difficult to find where I am, and the adaptors generally don't support 4K resolutions, but still pressing onwards!

Back