• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A twist on computer naming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I love the case. With the mods I did to the top it makes it look much beefier than the stock Lian-Li, so it has great modding potential. It's extremely sturdy and the current fan configuration is inaudiable when I have any type of noise in the room while still keeping my components nice and cool. I've recomended it to a handful of people so far, inviting them to take a look at my own case and explaining what I had modded and what is stock. So far I've had two people get a V series case because of it. :)

The lighting kit arrived yesterday and the plastic sheet for the enclosure arrived about a week ago. Just need to make time to finish this mod now.

I love the case. With the mods I did to the top it makes it look much beefier than the stock Lian-Li, so it has great modding potential. It's extremely sturdy and the current fan configuration is inaudiable when I have any type of noise in the room while still keeping my components nice and cool. I've recomended it to a handful of people so far, inviting them to take a look at my own case and explaining what I had modded and what is stock. So far I've had two people get a V series case because of it. :)

The lighting kit arrived yesterday and the plastic sheet for the enclosure arrived about a week ago. Just need to make time to finish this mod now.

Celeron_Phreak said:

You aint gonna convert me! *strokes his PC-71 with a gleam in his eye*

With shard up here to keep me company, I've now finished the HAXOR name cut! It came out GREAT and shard even signed it for me. :D Here's the final chapter of the worklog. :)

For backlighting I bought a Logisys 4" CCFL light kit off eBay for $7 shipped. Now for mounting them, I didn't want any light to leak out the right side of the perforated front panel of the Lian-Li V1000B, so I ended up building an enclosure which sits over the etch, enclosing the CCFLs.

In order to build an enclosure that would fit over the etch but not run into the hard drive and motherboard divider, I had to shrink the size of the lexan sheet by trimming the sides of it down. Here's a picture of the trimmed lexan.
Picture%20008.jpg

Also on the trimming side of things, I cut a piece of the 3M double sided tape in half, thus eliminating some of the room needed for mounting the lexan to the side panel. and it still sticks just as well!

For the enclosure, I had ordered a 12" x 24", 1/16" thick plastic from McMaster a few weeks ago, which only set me back about $12 and arrived two days after I ordered it! Props go out to Captain Slug for the recommendation of McMaster.com. :D

About an hour of 1000W heat gun usage and bending later, I finished the enclosure. Here it is from the inside with the CCFLs mounted.
Picture%20007.jpg

Instead of using the double sided tape included with the CCFLs, I used the stronger 3M stuff I used for the lexan sheet; just to be sure it doesn't come loose. Yes, the CCFLs are shorter than the cut, but it'll give a perfect lighting effect, as you shall see in a short while.

And from the outside...
Picture%20004.jpg

As most of you know, the Lian-Li V1000B has about a 1" clearance between the side panel and the 5.25" drive rack on the right side.

Now awhile back I installed this 3-pin fan splitter I made so I could easily disconnect the two 120mm side panel fans when removing the side panel.
Picture%20073.jpg

This sits in the center of the drive rack on the right side. Why am I mentioning this? because the enclosure for the HAXOR lighting runs into this connection and pushes the side panel out about 1/16 of an inch, not letting the side panel go on entirely, leaving an ugly gap.

So to fix I my problem, I moved it down to the ramp in the HDD/motherboard divider, which is actually a more ideal place to have it than on the drive cages!
Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

Next up, the final pictures of this project and props to all who helped me with it. :)

Here's a view from the backside of the panel with everything installed:
Picture%20005.jpg

You might be wondering what's between the enclosure and the side panel. When it was initially installed, light leaked around the edges of the enclosure, causing it to look odd when viewing the case from the front and seeing a thin line of white light.

To solve that problem I took a sheet of that white/pink foam-ish padding stuff that's shipped with a few motherboards and cut it slightly larger than the enclosure itself. Then I cut out the center of it about 1/2" away from the outer edge, creating a light gasket which works very well for keeping light inside the enclosure. Think of an engine head gasket.

You can also see where shard signed his name onto the side panel. He originally signed it with a blue fine point sharpie, and I just etched over it with the Dremel, a flex-shaft and a 7103 Diamond Wheel Point bit. It came out EXACTLY as planned. I'm proud to have it on the case. :)
Picture%20004.jpg

And the moment you've all been waiting for...
Picture%20014.jpg

Picture%20018.jpg

I hope it all met your expectations, as it sure did mine, even a little more!

Thanks To:

Fushyguru - Modding Inspirator
Shard - Logo Designer
Captain Slug - Materials Resource Recommendation

And thanks to all OCForums members for their support and comments on this project, making me strive to finish this and continue upon other mods.​

Dude that is brilliant! Amazing job!

(And I see I wasn't the only one to make a fan extension/splitter. But I posted mine 2 days ago! lol)

Hehe, yeah. I'm actually going to redo the connector. I found this LEMO connector from an equipment panel my dad brought home from work. It's 6-pins and exactly what I need, but there's no male connector for it around here, so I can't make much use of it. =\

I really really really want to use a barrel connector with six pins for all my side panel stuff, it'd be SO much easier. That or a five pin connector and just use the shell as ground.

LEMO connectors are expensive though, whcih is why I won't puchase one online. They're water and vacuum tight, machined aluminum body, EMI insulated, gold plated and use the push pull latching mechanism. Rumored to be the world's highest quality (and most expensive) connectors...

The LEMO connector idea won't work, as I have no access to the mating connectors for the one I have. Instead I used a PCI Express connector and some of my modding expertise to come up with something effective.

[EDIT]

For this idea, it all started by me wanting an easy way to remove my side panel, aside from disconnecting each fan and the CCFLs, individually, by the pull of a wire. Instead shard came up with the idea to use a 6-pin (PCI-Express) ATX connector and for me just to order some from Performance-PCs while I ordered a couple other connectors. I did as he suggested as it sounded like a good idea.

As I waited for the connectors from Performance-PCs to arrive, I had some time to think about how it was going to be after I got it all together, and I didn't really like the thought of still having to pull on two connectors to get it disconnected. I wanted it to be unplug-able with one hand, while the other hand supports the side panel.

And this is what I came up with...

[/EDIT]
(sorry, didn't want to double post.)

Last edited:
for the connector on the case side, I hacked up a 20-pin ATX connector down to six pins that lined up with the PCI-E connector's keys and soldered it to a small section of circuit board, as shown below.
Picture%20010.jpg

Next step was to mark the case for the cut of the cut to accommodate this connector, and then cut it. Here's a shot of the cut:
Picture%20006.jpg

And the connector installed:
Picture%20013.jpg

And from the back....The wires leading UP go to the fan controller in the 5.25" bay.
Picture%20025.jpg

The switch for the CCFLs goes from the maintenance side of the case to the left side with the back of the motherboard tray, and the switch is mounted on the bottom of the case to keep it's sleekness in it's more visible places...
Picture%20028.jpg

From the panel's side of things, there wasn't a whole lot of sleeving to be done, since the fans come pre-sleeved from Arctic Cooling. All I had to sleeve was the wires from the inverter, the splitter from the fans, and the final wires to the connector.
Picture%20036.jpg

Picture%20041.jpg

Picture%20043.jpg

And a final picture of it all hooked up:
Picture%20048.jpg

It doesn't slide out and it's easy as pie to disconnect from the case now. No more fiddling with connectors to put the side panel back on to. :D

I love how the lighting is, but I've got this CCFL based backlight panel from and old Macintosh PowerBook Duo which is a panel of evenly distributed white light. Think I should swap out the CCFLs for this panel? It runs great of the inverter used on the CCFLs....

Back