• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10 5800k Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

Hey everyone, so I just finished putting together an A10 APU build for an office workstation. Here are the specs.

I've got to say the Fractal Design Core 1000 is a pretty nice little case especially for an office computer. It's got a 120mm fan in the front which should provide more than enough air flow. The A10 5800k idles around 35 and I presume won't get all that hot running office and autocad.

Total cost was 350$ for the parts and I charged 50$ to build it. The guy has another computer guy who is going to install office/autocad and such. He needed a new office comp and was originally just going to pick up the cheapest best buy/futureshop open box or refurbished deal. This blows away any 400$ box from them. Pics are from my Galaxy S.

Attachments

• 2013-02-27 13.38.17.jpg
    2013-02-27 13.38.17.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 2013-02-27 13.37.34.jpg
    2013-02-27 13.37.34.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 2013-02-27 13.38.07.jpg
    2013-02-27 13.38.07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Idles* good chap, idles.

Looks like a darn solid build! For an office workstation though, I would have probably gone with a A10-5700. Its essentially the same part with locked multipliers and a 45w lower TDP (Running a fair bit less power draw and lower temps). It also usually costs a bit less. All aside, its amazing that you can get highly functional computers for under 400 bucks through AMD, these APU sets are even capable of pretty impressive gaming, for the price of a mid-range discrete graphcis card.

I wonder just how well AutoCad renders will be with an APU and no L3 Cache. The L3 cache is where most desktop processors have been getting their performance.
RGone...

Idles* good chap, idles.

Looks like a darn solid build! For an office workstation though, I would have probably gone with a A10-5700. Its essentially the same part with locked multipliers and a 45w lower TDP (Running a fair bit less power draw and lower temps). It also usually costs a bit less. All aside, its amazing that you can get highly functional computers for under 400 bucks through AMD, these APU sets are even capable of pretty impressive gaming, for the price of a mid-range discrete graphcis card.

Was a typo... Didn't know I was being marked.

I went with the 5800k because they were both the same price, actually I think the A10 5700 was a bit more expensive. 5700 was 128.99 and the 5800k was 119.99.

I wonder just how well AutoCad renders will be with an APU and no L3 Cache. The L3 cache is where most desktop processors have been getting their performance.
RGone...

According to this it fairs pretty well in 3D modeling. But then most of the work they will be doing is 2D.

This will quite literally be the best computer in the office. All the other's are best buy open box deals from two years ago or more. He only updates his computer hardware when they absolutely need to. The reason he built this was because the old one would get an error opening autocad that they couldn't fix.

Last edited:
RGone...

AutoCAD runs pretty well. With L3 cache these chips would be the Boss.
So far the new "A" series has been a very nice surprise - we have 4 in the office, 3 extreme 4s. 1 extreme 6, all with 5800ks. With the addition of a 6670 you have a pretty versatile desk top for multi monitor applications.

AutoCAD runs pretty well. With L3 cache these chips would be the Boss.
So far the new "A" series has been a very nice surprise - we have 4 in the office, 3 extreme 4s. 1 extreme 6, all with 5800ks. With the addition of a 6670 you have a pretty versatile desk top for multi monitor applications.

Ya, I got an email the other day from the guy saying that the new computer is working out pretty well.

No I put windows 7 on it because it was free.

I can't wait for the next gen of AMD CPU's though. The 8350 is already a great CPU, an extra 10% - 20% improvement would make it a great deal.

There's a little bump with win8.

We're thinking the I7, our only remaining Intel, replacement will be a new FX. In the past hardware cost was big - seems like we got great bang for the buck with the "A" series - especially the hardware ( motherboards... ). If FM2 & AM3+ stay around for while AMD might make a come back...

Well there is no reason why Ivy Bridge should not have 6 core CPU's in their line up. Technologically speaking it is entirely possible, but then again Z77 is kind of a limited platform anyway so I doubt 6 cores would make a difference on it.

It's pretty clear that Intel is holding back their technology. They know they have the lead right now so their just sitting back and milking what they have now. I have a feeling once AMD can start making CPU's on a smaller process things will start to improve fast.

low level APUs like the A4 or A6 make ideal "workstation" chips... cheap little computers for running MS office... almost nothing available will reproduce the price/performance of those little guys.

Back