• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N266-VM Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shade, tried clearing cmos??

see, i had it the other way around.. i moded my board, it worked, i upped to 1005 bios, and no post... im getting a new bios chip soon, hopefully

yep, tried clearing he CMOS many times. nothing. I'm just going to RMA it and get a board that require me to mod it to get oc'ing options... it's a shame too. it was a great board. where are you getting a new BIOS from?

Yes I have been playing with A7N266-VM
I was using the 1001 bios and just upgraded it to the 1005.003 bios yesterday and it is working fine for me :cool:
I am runing
XP1800@1748Mhz(152fsb)
ASUS V8420D /64MB/TV/DVI
And i can get around 12000 from
3DMark2001:burn:

OK this is what I did
When I frist got the mother board I upgrade the bios from 1001 to the 1004 then I did the jumper mod but it would not let me overclock the cpu so I down graded the bios to the 1001 and then it would let me to overclock it :D
And I just put the 1005 bios in yesterday and is working fine for me
:D

I've been following this thread and finally got around to trying it on my A7N266-VM.

I kept looking at that little bitty soldered wire, and trying to think of best way to get it loose without removing motherboard, etc., and mostly not doing any damage. No room to work on it and it could be easy to damage some traces.
So I tried the following and it worked fine for me:

Removed the two BSEL jumpers for little more room.
Using a large type snap-blade utility knife, with the blade extended to it's full length. I placed the point on the outside(left side solder point looking at the board) end of the wire at the board, with the sharp edge down, so that if it slipped off it would hit the plastic jumper block. Then using a screwdriver blade as a small hammer, I tapped on the back edge of the knife blade, and it was surprisingly easy to shear the wire.
Then I managed get hold of the cut off wire, and pull it over to contact the solder spot on the right side. I then just used a little bit of window deffogger repair paint to insure the connection.
I know this is a somewhat belabored description, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible.
Turned out to be really easy, I just chiseled through the outside end of the wire and bent it over to the other solder point.

I flashed the bios from 1004 to the new 1005.003.
I now have all the FSB selections in the BIOS and when I boot, it shows the CPU speed according to what I set it in the BIOS.

Only problem now is that wcpuid doesn't show the same speed, and Sandra won't run on nforce, so it doesn't look like it is actually is working.
I tried it with no BSEL jumpers and with them set to default, and no difference. I don't have the old manual, so don't know what the jumper setting should be for jumperless.

How are you all verifying your speeds??

Thanks to Dalton and all

I've been following this thread and finally got around to trying it on my A7N266-VM.

I kept looking at that little bitty soldered wire, and trying to think of best way to get it loose without removing motherboard, etc., and mostly not doing any damage. No room to work on it and it could be easy to damage some traces.
So I tried the following and it worked fine for me:

Removed the two BSEL jumpers for little more room.
Using a large type snap-blade utility knife, with the blade extended to it's full length. I placed the point on the outside(left side solder point looking at the board) end of the wire at the board, with the sharp edge down, so that if it slipped off it would hit the plastic jumper block. Then using a screwdriver blade as a small hammer, I tapped on the back edge of the knife blade, and it was surprisingly easy to shear the wire.
Then I managed get hold of the cut off wire, and pull it over to contact the solder spot on the right side. I then just used a little bit of window deffogger repair paint to insure the connection.
I know this is a somewhat belabored description, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible.
Turned out to be really easy, I just chiseled through the outside end of the wire and bent it over to the other solder point.

I flashed the bios from 1004 to the new 1005.003.
I now have all the FSB selections in the BIOS and when I boot, it shows the CPU speed according to what I set it in the BIOS.

Only problem now is that wcpuid doesn't show the same speed, and Sandra won't run on nforce, so it doesn't look like it is actually is working.
I tried it with no BSEL jumpers and with them set to default, and no difference. I don't have the old manual, so don't know what the jumper setting should be for jumperless.

How are you all verifying your speeds??

Thanks to Dalton and all

it still doesn't work on mine... even after JEN mod, nothing in bios... i went through 1005.003, 1001, 1004, and none give me the settings.. what am i doing wrong???

Flip - how did you set the BSEL jumpers?
Only thing I can suggest is to triple check your mod, but you probably did that

What I've found so far is that any FSB below 133 results in actually a 100FSB, according to wpcpuid.
And any thing from 133 and above results in only a 133FSB.

I get the same results with BSEL0 and BSEL1 open or set to default.

I sure would like to know if anyone that got the settings to work in the BIOS, has checked it with wcpuid.
I may flash to the 101nvm bios, but at this point, I'm not sure it will matter. I'm wondering if this all turned out to a ghost.

i don't think i touched the bsel jumpers... i'll pull them out tomorrow, and see what happens.. by the way... i cannot move the fsb at all...

oh yeah, and then there's the keyboard wake on lan, and usb device wake up jumpers... i don't think those matter though...

that's all i can think of right now, as i don't think there are ANY other jumpers on the motherboard... heck, i'll just pull out EVERY SINGLE jumper i can find... i wonder what that will do... if tha'ts what it takes...

edit: wcpuid BSOD's my comp

That was close! I flashed to the 101nvm.awd bios.
When I rebooted, it went straight to the settings, but that is all it would do, regardless of what settings I made. Couldn't boot to a floppy to flash back.
So I disconnected power, took out the battery, and used a damn paper clip to clear the cmos. Man is that cheap!@! It might be worth it if Asus used whatever money they saved to improve their support and servers - any little bit would help!

Anyway, all that didn't work - it still would only boot to the bios menu. I set BSEL's to 1-2, and didn't help.
I decided to try jumping the previously factory shorted JEN solder points, without disconnecting my mod.
I held a paper clip across the points while I powered on, and it got past the bios to the floppy, I removed the paper clip, and I was able flash back to 105.

There was a lot of interest in overclocking the FSB on this board, and some reported successes,

BUT I still would sure like to know if any of you guys, or ladies, were able to verify results with something like wcpuid,
because if not, then while this is a fun thing, it's a waste of time.
HELP.

A7N266-VM Overclocking

Thanks Dalton -
now I'm encouraged to get this thing to work. Here is my info:
I did the mod like you described - cut the JEN jumper wire and connected it to the right solder point.
Flashed to 105nvm.003
Now have all FSB settings but they don't work.

I am using win98SE - I don't think this a factor
1600 XP - still multiplier locked - don't think this matters
When I set the FSB to 140/33,
wcpuid shows
Int.clock 1396.39, Sys clock 132.99, Sys bus 265.98
Note: it looks like the clock is a little off.

In the BIOS Advanced Tab - after FSB is set to 140/33

Current CPU Speed 1465 - this number only affected by FSB setting
CPU Speed Manual - greyed
CPU Freq Multiple - choices - but fixed at 10.5 because mine is locked
CPU/Mem Freq Ratio - choices from 100 to 181 but not in increments of 1
CPU/Memory Freq Ratio - choices 1:1 or 4:3 - I set 1:1

Are there any other settings required?
How did you set BSEL0 and BSEL1 ?
I haven't seen old manual settings for these and JEN, back when the jumpers were still there, but sure would like to know what they were.

Any suggestions would sure be a big help.
Thanks,
Sammy

dalton, i still don't know what i'm doing wrong... why doesn't it work for me???

what are all your jumper settings??? and what bios are you on?
could you zip and send me the bios?

sammy, congrats on getting it to work...

Hi,

Asus have some Probs with PCI-Performance with the nForce Boards, so they program a lot Biosversions for these Boards.
The best Ram-Performance have the older Version like 1001, the better PCI-Perf. the newer ones.
I use the 1005 from here (ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/), because it support T-Bred.
With the Bios 1003 - 1004 Asus have deactive the FSB-Change at Bios, you can select, but no effect, why ???
At 1005 it still works again, hmmm!

Which nForce-Driver do you use?
Mine is nForce 2.0 from Nvidia HP.

BSEL0 === *
BSEL1 === *
I think both at FSB133, but with cut JEN and mod it don't takes care, because jumperless mode is active.

@Filip
sorry, but no ideas, sure that mod is ok?
Bios is 1005, can send you, but you can download it at link.

CU, Dalton.

Last edited:
Hooooraay!!!!!!!1 It works!!
All Thanks to DALTON

First, to answer your question, I am using the nforce 2.0 package - damn 25MB download, but the setup crashed, so I loaded them manually - seems to work except problems with sound.

What I did was go to the your bios link and downloaded the 1005vm.zip. I was using the Asus bios from their page which was 105nvm03.zip. The unzipped file was 105nvm.003, which is what I had flashed from the original 1004. When it booted, it showed 1005.003 bios.

Anyway, I flashed the 1005vm.bin from your link, which is more like I'm familiar with, and it works great.
Best I can do without a voltage increase, too bad, is
143FSB, and it shows that in wcpuid as
Internal Clock 1503
So it's working like you said.
I did shutdown and clear the cmos, before restarting, but it looks like it just needed the right bios.

flip04 - have you tried the bios on Dalton's link? and I'm running with no jumpers, but like Dalton said, don't think that matters.

Success makes it more fun - Thanks again

Back