• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8-3870K with Asrock A75 Pro4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4thKor

Registered
I'm relatively new to OC'ing, having only played around with my X4 965-BE on an Asus M5A95 mobo, and need some advice on the finer points of voltage settings. I'm currently running the A8 at 3200mhz (3517 according to CPU-ID) with 110mhz APU/PCIE, 1.425v CPU Voltage, and 800mhz NB Multiplier. I have run this at these settings for several weeks now without any problems, and just now ran Prime95 without any issues. My max temp according to Core-Temp never went above 62, and that was only briefly. My question is, how do I increase my GPU/PCIE voltage without this thing crashing? Do I need to back my NB off? Or are there other voltages I should be adjusting? I have read about people running their GPU voltage to 135, but I can't go above the 110 mark (doing it in increments of 5). One thing I do know is that my graphics are way better at 110 than stock 100, so my reasoning is that "mo' is betta"!

You write >> My question is, how do I increase my GPU/PCIE voltage. That question is about "voltage" and you adjust a that voltage as below.

Page #52 of A75 Pro4.pdf manual for that motherboard shows: APU PCIE Voltage VDDP. Use this to select APU PCIE Voltage VDDP. The default value is [Auto].

You write >> I have read about people running their GPU voltage to 135 = 135 whats? 135 volts? That would be pretty high. 135 buss clocks?

You write >> I can't go above the 110 mark (doing it in increments of 5) = That 110 seems to be a speed and n0t a voltage.

Okay a little background. Not seen more than about 20 users posts about AMD APU systems in a year. Maybe such will pick-up later, but who knows. I found your unanswered post by going to the 'un-answered posts' section of the forum and as a courtesy, just decided to reply. None of us that help can have every motherboard that is asked about in the forum nor the cpu. TOO too many cpus/motherboards out there. We generally go and look for the motherboard manual and try to use it to help the poster. I downloaded your manual to look at what the bios shows for settings.

Now when I read that someone writes > "they" did or "somebody" said, then I wonder what that person was doing. Did "they" just write something and not give any backup/background information. Was "their" system even stable.

15 or 16 years ago when I first started to overclock, I would see someone posting in a forum that "they" were doing this X thing. I PM'd that person in that forum and asked them 'how' they were doing what they claimed to do. Got my best information that way. Now all those years later the first few I PM'd are still in my email listing. It worked for me years ago and could work for you even today.

At any rate with you having n0 reply at all for so many days, I thought to give a shout back. Be well.

Thank you for your reply! I actually have found out that if I back the multipler off to the CPU that I can increase my GPU, which I have done. I have been too busy to play with it much, but I will puruse my User's Manual a little deeper when I get a chance. I think my problem is lack of technical knowledge, which I hope to remedify (is this a word?) as I am starting to work on other people's computer's who know way less than I do, which isn't very much! Once again, thank you for your reply!
P.S. What compunds the situation is that I have three computers I have built and haven't devoted enough time to any of them to truly "know" them!

No problem man. Hear you about hardware and even software. I am doing an image of my working Win 7 partition now with software that I used last years version of. Having to see that it does the same job...well a little differently. That seems always the situation. Get new and learn it again. Hehehe. Be well.

Thanks for the reply. I've been working on a Toshiba Sattelite with a dead mobo and out of desperation took the hard drive out and plugged it into my Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3l system (Q8200 CPU) and it came right up and allowed me to back up her files! What's up with that? I have read time and again that the probabilities of being able to do this is one in a million! I was actually going to try and gain access with Hiren's Ultimate Boot CD, but didn't have to! The only "error" message I even got was that my copy of Windows needed to be certified, which I just ignored.

I just posted in the "Storage" section that moving a booting drive and keeping it bootable to another mobo was iffy. Doable but Iffy. Not 45seconds ago. Hehehe.

I assume you booted to your hard drive and copied/BU'd the data from her drive to another location. That is less problematic as you experienced.

I actually had this thing up and running just like it had been my drive for it's entire existence! It ran this way for over 2 hours while I interrogated and chastised the owner about what was "neccesary" to back up and what was junk. I could plug it back in right now and it would be right at home! I thought about selling her my system, but I've become rather attached to 'er, if you know what I mean!

I actually had a similar experience with an old Dell Opteron system with a Celeron and a bad mobo. I just threw the drive in my old system (Asus CM1630 with Athalon II), and it booted first try. I think this process only works on Vista and up, as the drivers and such are much more advanced than XP and down.

Back